“Not worth the money, tired and needs work”

Sheraton Grand Doha Resort & Convention Hotel
Ranked #7 of 136 Hotels in Doha
Reviewed November 1, 2012

I am sure this hotel was great 30 years ago however it doesn't seem that much maintenance has been done since then. We booked a club room which was ok and we had a nice view. The club lounge needs updating and the same peanuts lay on the floor of the club lounge during our whole stay (3days). The grounds are overgrown and the sun loungers from the 70s. The staff were good however if you are coming to Doha......book another hotel. This hotel is trading on the Sheraton name and it is not worth the money.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank 53BLOSSOM
There are newer reviews for Sheraton Grand Doha Resort & Convention Hotel

Reviewed November 1, 2012

We switched hotels from the Marriott beach hotel to the Sheraton. Huge difference in customer service! Sheraton staff are attentive, friendly and quick to get what you want/need.
The suites were smaller than the Marriott but cleaner and gorgeous views.
I did not like the Al Shaheen restaurant. The view was great but for €160 for two people it was below average for taste. Plus the untried to give us a terrible table, and claimed they were fully booked, even though we had reservations. The restaurant was at maybe 25% capacity the entire time we were there: until approximately 11:00 pm not great customer service skills.
The pool needs a refurb desperately, but the beach is nice and there is always a fantastic breeze on the beach.
The only down side was the check out. I had a suite And should have had a limo to the airport, but was told on check out that this is not the case nThey apparently did this to all the guests with
suites. When I asked for a taxi they said that it would be very difficult to find one at this time of day. I needed to get to the airport so I didn't argue, as it took quite some time to check out. They told me that the hotel taxi was 100 Qatar dollars, which they then added to my final bill. The car was very nice, but once I was outside I saw a whole line of taxis, this was scheming and put a bad end on my otherwise fantastic stay. Aside from this the service and hotel were great. FYI a normal taxi ride is 20-30 Qatar dollars.
I also booked a spa treatment and waited over 30 minutes twice for my appointment. I never did get to have my treatments as they double booked me. Which was disappointing.

Room Tip: Corner suites are great you get a wrap around balcony and walk in rain shower.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 31, 2012

Our stay in Doha Sheraton was terrible!
The Hotel is ok nothing fancy. But the service was miserable!
At check in there was no line so we would stand near one counter who is taking for ever to solve a minor guest problem (him and his manager together) in the mean time other counters accept newer guests. So we move to another line who then participates in the above problem.
And this remained for half an hour until me and my wife devided roles and each stood near one counter. Mind you that no body cared to guide or organize or do anything.
When we came back at night we asked for a baby crib. They told us they're out of cribs..mattresses..they are also out of mattresses and can only offer a blanket. So we asked for two blankets and a pillow. This took 45 minutes 3 calls and a shout to get to us. When it came they said we're out of pillows!!
We came in the morning to the duty mgr and explained our experience, she said they are facing high family occupancy and many guests are complaining.
Meaning  it should comfort us to know that we're not alone in this mess!! Actually to their credit I found this attitude funny!!

• Stayed: October 2012
4  Thank Osama339
Reviewed October 18, 2012

My family stayed with me at this hotel for about a week in March 2012.
We were very pleased with the service. I would highly recommend a club room for the daily snacks and refreshments. The design is a little dated, but the building is spotless.
The grounds are meticulously maintained. This included the gardens, pool and beach areas.
The staff is all top notch. We highly recomend this hotel for all varieties of travelers

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Feltish
Reviewed October 17, 2012

Ironic hotel whose shape and splendour, whilst now one of the oldest in Doha, remain impressive and welcoming. Welcomed with hot towel and fresh orange juice but friendly and helpful staff. Don't expect modern glass and metal glitz, soak up the atmosphere of Doha's short history. Only disappointments were that they still charge for internet in rooms and smoking is too widely permitted.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 15, 2012

I dislikes the smoking arrangements as a non-smoker. Two ballrooms. one for smoking and one non-smoking. Food in both. Crazy - why all non smoking where food served. Broke up parties with two rooms. the Irish bar downstairs - great service and happy hour each day

Reviewed October 11, 2012

located at Corniche, facing the sea, and owning a private beach, this is a perfect place for a extravagant and luxurious stay in Qatar!

amazing food, fountains, roof top restaurant, availability of conference rooms / business rooms / party halls makes this an attraction for all major events/ celebrity functions in Qatar!