“Very close to Doha airport”

Doha Marriott Hotel
Ranked #36 of 135 Hotels in Doha
richmond
“Very close to Doha airport”
Reviewed October 5, 2011

I stayed here for one day and night on my way to Europe from Australia.
The hotel is located a few minutes from the airport.
The rooms were fine except for the key system. Everytime I went to open my door the key would not work. Nearby staff could not legally let me in so down I went , 6 times in all in 24 hours to have my card rekeyed. They kept saying I must have had it near some computer device or phone but i didnt. It was SO annoying.
The outdoor pool is huge and surprisingly freezing, ice cold and too cold for me to swim. So strange when the air temp was 40 plus degrees celcius.
The food was very average, having my evening meal at the Mexican Hotel restaurant, only because the Indian was closed.
Rooms were a good size and very comfortable beds.
On the way home I stayed at the Ritz Carlton and the hotels are poles apart preferring the latter.
If you have time in Doha visit the Vellagio shopping mall. Don't use the hotel car service, just ask for a local cab (the aqua ones), it is one quarter the price.

Room Tip: Make sure the key works
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank lizRichmond

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Doha, Qatar
Reviewed October 1, 2011

I had a rather unfortunate experience with the spa services at the Marriott in Doha, Qatar. I contacted the hotel a day before the appointment for a two hour service, and my husband was scheduled also. We left for the hotel one hour ahead of the scheduled appointment. We had some difficulty finding the hotel, and at 1:30, I placed a call from my car asking for directions. The lady at the spa said she had no idea where our location was, but that the hotel was located near the airport. We got to the area of the airport, and could still not find the hotel. We asked a few people, and finally someone told us the hotel was located behind the airport. 5 minutes before the appointment time, we were still in traffic and I called the Marriott again and advised them we would be a few minutes late. We were told, that's ok, come in. When we arrived 11 minutes later, we were told it was too late to have the appointment. The Spa Director was of no help, and continued to parrot that we were late. We ultimately left that spa and scheduled with La Cigale, and they were excellent.

I will certainly never go back to the Marriott again. For the price of spa services, why settle for sub-par service at the Marriott? The staff and director are obviously not empowered to assist the customer. The Doha Spa service industry is keenly competitive. Why settle for less?

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Shadya
Doha, Qatar
Reviewed August 23, 2011

i was in the hotel for 3 days ...it was a really a pleasure to stay der. The rooms are big and very well decorative.... good restaurant and excellent food.
the business center is also big and very well maintained....facilities are really world class.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank abhiee26
Houston, Texas
Reviewed August 5, 2011

Just stayed for a quick night during a long lay over. Close taxi ride to airport. Lobby is nice and so is the front desk personnel. Bed was nice. Bathroom and room just ok (normal for Marriott). Thought price was a little high.

• Stayed August 2011
1 Thank jws_7
denver
Reviewed July 28, 2011

We had an extended layover in Doha and I decided to use some points and book at the new Courtyard City Center that was supposed to open in May 2011. A couple weeks after making the reservation I was contacted by staff at the hotel that it would not be open. They offered to transfer my reservation to the Airport Marriott for the same amount of points (which was nice since the Airport Marriott required more points that I did not have).

The hotel staff was incredibly nice, very accommodating and they even offered us a tour of the new property when we arrived. The Airport Marriott is a little older but still a very nice property and close to the airport. They offered us bottled waters as soon as we walked in the door and I received a letter from the management apologizing for not being able to honor my room at the other property. We had a view on an upper floor that overlooked the pool and bay which was nice. The bed and pillows were very comfortable and they bathroom was clean and had several toiletries available.

They have several restaurants on property. We arrived earlier in the day so we ate at the lunch buffet, we also had the option of just ordering off the menu. The food was good but pricey around $100 for two of us with ice tea. It was not really busy either but the food seemed to be pretty fresh. We had wanted to try the steakhouse for dinner but we were so exhausted and figured the steakhouse probably was more expensive than the buffet.

The next morning I called downstairs to request a cab to get us to the airport, I had read somewhere that it's sometimes more difficult to get from other locations that the airport itself. They even informed me on the phone that it might take a little while. After checking out we did have to wait about 10 minutes but they bell staff called again and a cab arrived shortly.

Wish we had explored more around the area but overall it was a good nights sleep and a nice property. Very happy with their level of customer service throughout the whole reservation, they even sent me a personal email after I got home which many properties would not do.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed June 16, 2011

Air condition was directly blowing to the bed and very strongly .
TV Set was on the very left hand side of the bed and almost impossible to remote it .
Sea was dirty on the beach . Pool was very hot , especially jakuzzi next to pool was boiling because it is 100 Celcius degree .
Internet was terrible and no wireless in the rooms . And also it was not free .
Additional to these all negatives , it is very very expensive for almost nothing .

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank EmreK
Glasgow
Reviewed June 4, 2011

I have stayed in this hotel on numerous occasions and I have never been disrupted by noise. One of my pet hates. The rooms are well appointed and, in typical middle east style, very large. Decor is contemporary and top notch.
Bathrooms and showers are excellent.
Dinner - The food, if picked carefully, is excellent. I once asked for a recipe and you would have thought that I was royalty. The head chef came out to see me and it was all a very heartwarming experience.
Breakfast - excellent and fantastic choice.
Staff - always polite and helpfull.
Prices - I cant really comment on Value for money as I have never paid for anything as its all been on the company tab. BUT the bar is horrenously expensive.
If you join the Marriot Executive Club [forget how much] it is a much cheaper way to eat and drink. Worth looking into.

Room Tip: Get a room in the
  • Stayed September 2010, traveled on business