“back to the 70s”

Ranked #50 of 133 Hotels in Doha
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
“back to the 70s”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

This used to be the Sofitel and it is pretty much the same as it was. Very central, handy for the Souq Waqif and within walking distance of the Cornich and dthe Museum of Islamic Art. The only down side is the massive construction site right in front of the hotel, they are building 'Downtown Doha', another shopping mall. This one is 9 storeys deep so it looks like it may take another few years to finish.
The hotel is basic and clean, rooms were a bit small but nothing to complain about if you are looking for a budget room in the area. My only complaint is the shower which trickled water, little pressure on the 11th floor. All rooms have a balconey
Staff are friendly and helpful, room service is 24 hours and is fast.
There is a car park in the basement, bar and restaurant on the second floor, swimming pool on the 3rd floor.

Room Tip: Ask for a city view room to avoid the building works
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank sheikinallover
h0546_gm, General Manager at Mercure Grand Hotel Doha, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Dear Customer,

Sorry for the delay of my answer, thank you for your review, and be informed that all our room will renovation and three floors will be finish by end of September.

Lobby will be review too by end of year 2013.

Cordially

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Arabic first
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed March 11, 2013

A little old-fashioned hotel but with friendly staff. Unfortunately, it was one big construction site outside when we visited Doha. It is walking distance to Souk Waqif, museum of islamic art and boardwalk.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

1 Thank OvK79er
h0546_gm, Front Office Manager at Mercure Grand Hotel Doha, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Dear Customer ,
Thank you for your review , and I will forward your comments on our service to all our staff.
The hotel is starting a renovation floor by floor this summer .

Have a good day .
Beirut
Reviewed March 9, 2013 via mobile

As I read from the other reviewers, this seems to be the hotel Qatar airways puts its travellers in, when they have a missed flight, or, as in our case, when the airline fails to tell any of its passengers about the extended flying time which would make them miss their flight....Well, if one of their aims was to make up for the mistreatment of its passengers, they definitely failed on that point too. We finally got there at 4 am, to find out that there was nothing for us to eat before the inedible breakfast (apart from the bread) at 5:30. The view from our room was on a lovely, noisy construction site. The entrance of the hotel, on a lower level, smelled of rotten, polluted water. In addition to that, whenever we asked for something, the staff immediately notified us whether it was included or not in the Qatar compensation, as if we cared. Well, after seeing what the breakfast was like, including the dried up fresh fruits and the sticky fridge handle, who wants to have lunch and dinner ( with the vouchers from the airline) in that same restaurant? Arriving at 4am meant we did not get to see the lovely, run-down area, full of asian workers, the hotel is located in. Nowhere to take a stroll or get any fresh air. If ever any airline puts you there, make sure you refuse and stand firm. It is humiliating!

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 1001night
h0546_gm, Public Relations Manager at Mercure Grand Hotel Doha, responded to this review, March 10, 2013
Dear Customer,
It look like, that your comments are based on the fact that you have done a non expected stop over in Doha via Qatar Airways.
Yes, we are front of the new site of the real city center, yes they are under construction, but at least the demolition is finish.
We are also 5 minutes walk to the souk Wakif, were you can find a real night live, but not at 4 AM, sorry.
Yes we are serving in our “La Brasserie “all the meals for our entire customer, such as Buffet Breakfast, Lunch, and Diner.
We do have “a La Carte” restaurant also in the roof top 12 floor.
We are starting a full renovation plan, as the location of the hotel will be one of the best in the coming years, the hotel as 30 years now and running very well.
I will check what happen during your arrival, and review the process during night arrival.
Thank you for your comments; it will help us to do a better service.
Cordially

Travelers are raving about these Doha hotels

Patiala, India
Reviewed February 24, 2013

I was put their by Qatar airways during transit time. Its a good hotel with very friendly & helpful staff. Rooms appeared to be a bit old, but they were quite clean and functional. Bathroom was clean too. Mattress was comfortable and I slept peacefully. I woke up to the sound of prayer from nearby mosque, and it kind of felt nice. I loved all my meals there. Staff was kind enough to guide me about the city and how to find my way around. They also booked taxi for me to take me around (though not sure if it was overpriced).

I was late in the evening and airport shuttle had to wait for me. One of the staff members kindly helped me pack my stuff and bring my bags from room to avoid further delay. Right from receptionist to waiters to other staff members, everyone was friendly and did everything to make my stay comfortable.

Its a 4* hotel and can do a lot better with some revamp and restoration. As for my stay, there's nothing to complain about.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Adi_India
h0546_gm, Manager at Mercure Grand Hotel Doha, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear Customer ,

Thank you for your comments , and I will share them , with the team .
For your information we are starting renovations on three floors of all rooms.
We hope that the planing will be respected and by sept 2013 , all finish .
Waiting for your visit , one more time .
Cordially .
Paarl, South Africa
Reviewed February 19, 2013

After missing our connecting flight to Phuket, (Oct. 2012) we were put up in the Mercure Hotel in Doha.
We had a long wait for our next available flight, but with the understanding, hospitality and the help that we recieved from ALL staff to make our stay comfortable was outstanding, even in this frustrating situation.
Breakfast, Lunch and Supper ...........superb!

The service of this hotel and its staff is outstanding!!!!

Thank You!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
h0546_gm, Public Relations Manager at Mercure Grand Hotel Doha, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Dear Customer ,

I was a pleasure welcome you , in our hotel .
I will share your comments with my collegues in all departement .

Y ou most welcomed on your next stay in Qatar.

The team of Mercure Doha .
Lowestoft
Reviewed February 5, 2013

I recently stayed at the Mercure Grand Hotel for 6 nights on business, leaving on the 01/02/13.

I arrived at the hotel via the free bus from the airport, which was a nice touch, although the hotel is very close to the airport and it wouldn't have cost much in a taxi.
On arrival at the hotel I was pretty disappointed with the location as it is situated on a busy road intersection and in a run-down area.
The lobby area was quite pleasent and I was hoping the rooms would be of the same standard, but unfortunately they are not !!
I stayed in room 937 (on the one non-smoking floor) and although it was very clean, it was very dated and could do with a make-over (as could the rest of the hotel).
I soon discovered the A/C could not be altered from the room, so the room temperature was freezing during the night and it was so noisy it kept me awake all night !!
During my lack of sleep throughout the night, I then had the disappointment of finding out my room was located next to the local mosque, so at 05:00am I was awoken by the terrible noise of yelling / screaming through load speakers !! This completely ruined my nights sleep every night, for 6 nights, and each morning I would get up for work feeling terrible !!
I asked to change rooms, but all of the rooms on the non-smoking floor where full, so there was nowhere left to go. Even if a room was available on the other side of the hotel, there is a massive construction site located next to the hotel which operates 24 hours a day, so sleep isn't much better that side either ( I had a colleague who had to move rooms because of this).

The breakfast at the hotel is basic, but there is plenty to choose from. There is an egg station where you can get eggs cooked to order, which is what I stuck to.

There are 2 restaurants on the 12th floor to choose from. The Old Manor is an English style pub which serves good food (although pricey compared to other hotels in the area).
This restaurant / pub does get very busy at times and is full of people smoking, so it can be an unpleasent place to eat a meal.
The other restaurant is a 'Mediterranean' restaurant, but the food here isn't as good as the Old Manor.

The hotel does offer a taxi service which are in basic / normal cars, which I used a few times before discovering the metered taxi's off the streets are a lot cheaper. The prices at the hotel were always 2 - 3 times the price of a metered taxi, so only used these as a last resort.

Overall I would rate the hotel as an average / cheap place to stay for one night, but I would not recommend it for longer stays or if you want a good nights sleep.
I certainly would have moved hotels if I was paying for it myself, but as my company was paying I had to stay !!!
I will be returning to Doha next week and I will be requesting not to stay here again !!!

Room Tip: Try finding a room which is not located next to the mosque or the building site.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
h0546_gm, General Manager at Mercure Grand Hotel Doha, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Dear Customer,
You have perfectly described the hotel. Yes the traffic around the hotel is very heavy during evening time as we are near the Souk Waqif, and a lot of events are organized there.
The hotel will be renovate for the second semester 2013 for at least three floors.
For the Mosque we are not able to do anything, just that entire block (including the Mosque) will destroy on the second semester....
Thank you one more time for your comments, contact me on your next trip to Doha
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed January 31, 2013

The hotel is in a great location, the service was good and the room was clean with
free Wi-Fi and 42inch plasma Tv

The hotel generally is old with modern renovation they are still using keys for the rooms instead of access cards. However the price is good

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
h0546_gm, General Manager at Mercure Grand Hotel Doha, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Dear Customer ,

Thank you for your good comments , and be informed that we are starting a full renovation of three floors of rooms by May 2013.
All doors and lock will be changed for magnetic card .
Thank you and see you soon .