“Nothing to Complain about!”

Mercure Grand Hotel Doha
Ranked #56 of 138 Hotels in Doha
Reviewed February 24, 2013

I was put their by Qatar airways during transit time. Its a good hotel with very friendly & helpful staff. Rooms appeared to be a bit old, but they were quite clean and functional. Bathroom was clean too. Mattress was comfortable and I slept peacefully. I woke up to the sound of prayer from nearby mosque, and it kind of felt nice. I loved all my meals there. Staff was kind enough to guide me about the city and how to find my way around. They also booked taxi for me to take me around (though not sure if it was overpriced).

I was late in the evening and airport shuttle had to wait for me. One of the staff members kindly helped me pack my stuff and bring my bags from room to avoid further delay. Right from receptionist to waiters to other staff members, everyone was friendly and did everything to make my stay comfortable.

Its a 4* hotel and can do a lot better with some revamp and restoration. As for my stay, there's nothing to complain about.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Adi_India
h0546_gm, Manager at Mercure Grand Hotel Doha, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2013

Dear Customer ,

Thank you for your comments , and I will share them , with the team .
For your information we are starting renovations on three floors of all rooms.
We hope that the planing will be respected and by sept 2013 , all finish .
Waiting for your visit , one more time .
Cordially .

Reviewed February 19, 2013

After missing our connecting flight to Phuket, (Oct. 2012) we were put up in the Mercure Hotel in Doha.
We had a long wait for our next available flight, but with the understanding, hospitality and the help that we recieved from ALL staff to make our stay comfortable was outstanding, even in this frustrating situation.
Breakfast, Lunch and Supper ...........superb!

The service of this hotel and its staff is outstanding!!!!

Thank You!!!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
h0546_gm, Public Relations Manager at Mercure Grand Hotel Doha, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2013

Dear Customer ,

I was a pleasure welcome you , in our hotel .
I will share your comments with my collegues in all departement .

Y ou most welcomed on your next stay in Qatar.

The team of Mercure Doha .

Reviewed February 5, 2013

I recently stayed at the Mercure Grand Hotel for 6 nights on business, leaving on the 01/02/13.

I arrived at the hotel via the free bus from the airport, which was a nice touch, although the hotel is very close to the airport and it wouldn't have cost much in a taxi.
On arrival at the hotel I was pretty disappointed with the location as it is situated on a busy road intersection and in a run-down area.
The lobby area was quite pleasent and I was hoping the rooms would be of the same standard, but unfortunately they are not !!
I stayed in room 937 (on the one non-smoking floor) and although it was very clean, it was very dated and could do with a make-over (as could the rest of the hotel).
I soon discovered the A/C could not be altered from the room, so the room temperature was freezing during the night and it was so noisy it kept me awake all night !!
During my lack of sleep throughout the night, I then had the disappointment of finding out my room was located next to the local mosque, so at 05:00am I was awoken by the terrible noise of yelling / screaming through load speakers !! This completely ruined my nights sleep every night, for 6 nights, and each morning I would get up for work feeling terrible !!
I asked to change rooms, but all of the rooms on the non-smoking floor where full, so there was nowhere left to go. Even if a room was available on the other side of the hotel, there is a massive construction site located next to the hotel which operates 24 hours a day, so sleep isn't much better that side either ( I had a colleague who had to move rooms because of this).

The breakfast at the hotel is basic, but there is plenty to choose from. There is an egg station where you can get eggs cooked to order, which is what I stuck to.

There are 2 restaurants on the 12th floor to choose from. The Old Manor is an English style pub which serves good food (although pricey compared to other hotels in the area).
This restaurant / pub does get very busy at times and is full of people smoking, so it can be an unpleasent place to eat a meal.
The other restaurant is a 'Mediterranean' restaurant, but the food here isn't as good as the Old Manor.

The hotel does offer a taxi service which are in basic / normal cars, which I used a few times before discovering the metered taxi's off the streets are a lot cheaper. The prices at the hotel were always 2 - 3 times the price of a metered taxi, so only used these as a last resort.

Overall I would rate the hotel as an average / cheap place to stay for one night, but I would not recommend it for longer stays or if you want a good nights sleep.
I certainly would have moved hotels if I was paying for it myself, but as my company was paying I had to stay !!!
I will be returning to Doha next week and I will be requesting not to stay here again !!!

Room Tip: Try finding a room which is not located next to the mosque or the building site.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
h0546_gm, General Manager at Mercure Grand Hotel Doha, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2013

Dear Customer,
You have perfectly described the hotel. Yes the traffic around the hotel is very heavy during evening time as we are near the Souk Waqif, and a lot of events are organized there.
The hotel will be renovate for the second semester 2013 for at least three floors.
For the Mosque we are not able to do anything, just that entire block (including the Mosque) will destroy on the second semester....
Thank you one more time for your comments, contact me on your next trip to Doha

Reviewed January 31, 2013

The hotel is in a great location, the service was good and the room was clean with
free Wi-Fi and 42inch plasma Tv

The hotel generally is old with modern renovation they are still using keys for the rooms instead of access cards. However the price is good

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
h0546_gm, General Manager at Mercure Grand Hotel Doha, responded to this reviewResponded February 1, 2013

Dear Customer ,

Thank you for your good comments , and be informed that we are starting a full renovation of three floors of rooms by May 2013.
All doors and lock will be changed for magnetic card .
Thank you and see you soon .

Reviewed January 27, 2013

Old rooms. But we'll located,good breakfast spread with repeating menu next day.seen rice in breakfast menu with soup and veg dish ! Lacking life and business wave . Lighting is less. Not much to write on

Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Dear Customer ,

Thank you for your review and I whant just to inform you about the renovation of three floors of rooms by May 2013 .
Today we are adding Sprinklers in all room all ready started last month .
See you soom at Mercure Doha .
Cordially

Reviewed January 19, 2013

The hotel offers free pick up and drop from the airport. The room was clean and the staff very helpful. The restuarants on the top floor serve good quality food and drinks. I went to Doha attend the UN climate change meetings in Dec'12 and during this time all hotels were very busy. To their credit the service sandard was maintained. Going forward, the hotel would need to be refurbished.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Arunavo
h0546_gm, General Manager at Mercure Grand Hotel Doha, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2013

Dear Customer, Thank you very much for your review.

Yes we are under process to refurnish three full floors 100 Rooms this summer.

Our staffs are very motivated and I am sure with the end of the Musherib project the hotel will continue to provide the perfect service for a guests.

GM Thierry

Reviewed December 25, 2012

The bedrooms are small and in need of serious upgrade. I have also seen much cleaner rooms in hotels with lesser star gradings.
Make sure that you ask for a non-smoking room on a non-smoking floor (although most floors have a smell of stale smoke), and compromise on views - ask for a view towards the back (away from the pool and 24/7 construction site on the - far-in-the-distance - yacht club side).
On the positive side, they have a good breakfast and dinner buffet - not overly extensive, but with a good enough selection of foods to suit the Western and Middle Eastern palate!)
The regular and fast airport transfer service is also a positive.
Use this hotel as a quick stop-over, not as a base in Doha!

• Stayed: December 2012