“Hotel getting tired, but absolutely top notch service”

Mercure Grand Hotel Doha
Ranked #52 of 134 Hotels in Doha
Ashbourne, United Kingdom
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,156 helpful votes
“Hotel getting tired, but absolutely top notch service”
Reviewed February 29, 2012

I stayed here 11 nights in February 2012; it was selected for me by my client.

This is the old, renamed, Sofitel. It is in the old part of town - walking distance to Souk Waquif (a must do, in my opinion).

The hotel is getting a little old now, and it is quite close to some heavy construction. I had a room on the opposite side to these works, and aside from calls to prayer, was not disturbed at all (though I am a 'good sleeper').

What impressed me most here, though was the service. Brilliant and helpful front desk (didn't queue once, and happy to offer late / 5pm checkout without any resistance). La Brasserie buffet - opened early for me every day, as I had early starts most days. Room service - lightening fast (if not much choice).

Free 24-hour internet was provided - no need to ask.

Happy staff everywhere - always said hello. Very happy - and I'll be back...

Area for improvement:
Lots of smoking allowed; tried the 12th floor steakhouse one night, and I could not bear the smoke and smell. When I checked out, I had a short wait for my taxi - a smoker lit up next to me in the lobby seating.

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank Stephen A

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Arabic first
Brussels
Reviewed January 24, 2012

Don't let the name mislead you...mostly Grand Mercure hotels are good quality, but this place is just your average 30 years old Mercure as you can sometimes find them in France...
the rooms are just like they were 30 years ago and altough generally clean they lack maintenance
on oneside the hotel faces a construction site and as there isn't even double glass windows the moise, even inside the rooms is terrible;as a consequence you won't be able to sleep in half of the rooms as the construction work goes on 24/24
the only good thing about ths place is that it is closer to the souk and the airport than most other hotels in Doha
so my recommendation is to go somewhere else

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank bruno1234Brussels

Travelers are raving about these Doha hotels

Karachi, Pakistan
Reviewed January 8, 2012

Stayed for one night at mercure grand hotel, the only "grand" about the hotel is that perhaps its "grand old"..... The hotel is in poor condition and needs a quick revamp if it wants to retain it's 4 star rating.

The first room assigned was on the 10th floor but there on my side of the room there was a 24 hour construction project going on acorss the road and the noise wont let you get any shut eye. The project is to continue for another year or so. therefore please request at check-in to get a room on the opposite side. Anyhow, as per request the room was changed and i was brought down to the 7th floor. The room wasn't working properly and the staff who took me to the room had to struggle with the door for a few minutes. I was too tired so immediately went to sleep.

In the morning i discovered the COLD WATER KNOB in the bath tub was out of order and the drainage system in the bathtub wasn't also working properly. It was a terrible experience. Didnt think that complaining would make any sense becuase i was just here for a night and checked out after taking the bath.

After i paid my dues at the counter i was waiting in the lobby for a friend when i was called back again at the counter and the clerk asked me if i had consumed chocoaltes from the minibar as they are missing. I said no! and told him that the minibar key in the key ring doesnt fit the minibar and that i was brought in the room late evening yesterday. He let me go without pressing charges :)

the only positive about the hotel was the location. I wouldnt recommend it for more than a night's stay.

happy travelling :)

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
saudi arabia
Reviewed January 7, 2012

I was so happy with this hotel till my last stay. During my last stay I really fealt bad of this hotel. The carpets were due for replacement, the room service was so poor ans so on.

Room Tip: I hope all are equally bad
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Manama, Bahrain
Reviewed December 16, 2011

I have been to Doha Many times on business trips till now. I generally prefer to stay at Mercure Grand. This is because of its location, the beautiful Sea view & ambiance. They have 2 good restaurants and a nice health club. Its a good hotel to stay with if you are travelling on a short business trip.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank PraveenCG
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 1, 2011

We booked the Mercure thinking that as a global chain it would up to international standards. This is a tired old ropey hotel. Still in the 70s! Smelly and badly maintained. A rip-off as well. Service was OK, but really needs a total re-furb. The only good thing was the location. Also there is a massive building site right opposite, so noise, 24hrs, was a problem.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank Drrif
h0546_gm, General Manager at Mercure Grand Hotel Doha, responded to this review, December 2, 2011
Dear Customer ,
I would like to apologise on the status of our hotel , for your information we will have a full renovation very soon .
Yes the file have been send to our Owners and also followed by our Group , and current 2012 we hope to start the renovation.
For the time being we are going to change the carpet in all rooms and corridors , the carpet as arrived and the 6 floor is done .
Receive my aplogise one more time.
General Manager Mercure Doha .