“An average Interconti, far from the city centre, next to a building site”

InterContinental Doha
Ranked #15 of 135 Hotels in Doha
Geneva, Switzerland
“An average Interconti, far from the city centre, next to a building site”
Reviewed September 30, 2009

For many years, I am a fan and a regular guest of Interconti hotels all around the world (stayed in almost 50 properties). So it was my logical choice since I had to spend 24 hours in Doha.
It started terribly! I couldn't get the upgrade I was expecting (front office manager wanted to play it by the book). So he made me pay an extra (good yield management but terrible client perception!). It was then close to midnight. Since the hotel is quite far away from the centre (while Interconti are usually pretty well located), the only option was to find something inside. But everything was closed! Then I wanted to take a walk near the swimming pool and the beach: that was closed as well! Not servicing a location by night is one thing, but forbidding the access to the sea is ridiculous.
The day after started better. Very good breakfast. Efficient concierge service to organise a desert bashing and the transportation to the airport. More to the expected Interconti level...
Other quick points:
- Nice staff
- Free wifi internet in the lobby
- Nice swimming pool
- Rooms are all right but nothing special
- Next to a building site

Regarding this later point, I have doubts regarding the future of this property since a larger one is being built just beside (the future St Regis?).

Conclusion: I hate to write it, but I would probably stay in another hotel next time I am in Doha...

• Stayed July 2009
4 Thank Swissdiver
aije, General Manager at InterContinental Doha, responded to this review, October 14, 2009
Dear Guest,

Warm greetings from InterContinental Doha.
First we would like to thank you for staying with us and posting your review on TripAdvisor.
Comments such as yours are vital for our success and we would like to apologise that in part of your experience with us, we have fallen short your expectations.
But also, we are pleased to read that you appreciated Our Concierge Service.
We look foward to welcome you again.
General Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
saudi
Reviewed September 25, 2009

The hotel and staff were truelly amazing. Service was everything you could hope for. Surroundings blissfull, private beach was small but pristine. Food in all the restaurants was excellent as was the wine selection. The room service was also exceptional. We could not find any fault with anything and will definately be going back again soon.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Warm greetings from InterContinental Doha.
We would like to thank you for staying with us last month and posting your comments on TripAdvisor.
We are delighted to read that you enjoy your stay with us. We aim to give you the best!
Thank you again and we do hope to welcome you soon at the InterContinental Doha.

Kuwait
Reviewed September 22, 2009

I picked this hotel based on other travelers' reviews, and I'm glad I did. I wanted to get away (I live in Kuwait) for a short three-day vacation and heard Doha was decent for a quiet "lay by the pool" time. I was highly impressed by the service. I was able to check in at the airport and was greeted by name when I entered the hotel. I was able to go straight to my room, and they even brought in a plate of fresh fruit. I did a lot of room service, which was fast, nicely presented, and decently affordable (stick with the mezza plates...hummus, etc...plenty of food and much more reasonably priced). The pool got a bit crowded since I was there during the big Eid (post-Ramadan) vacation, but I was able to get a chair each day and although the servers were running around crazy, they always responded immediately to any requests. I got a couple massages from the spa, and those were excellent as well (and only about $48! not bad for a hotel spa). The bar is nice...there's a bit of a wait the first time you go since Qatar law now requires each bar visitor to get a "membership." It's free, but you have to present ID and have a picture taken so it can be a bit of a wait. The bar staff are great...not a super classy bar (I've heard the W is the place to go...but Paloma at the Intercontinental was fine for just getting a few drinks and heading back to the room). There is a free airport shuttle but it only goes every few hours...so i think it's worth the cab fare. The room was great...and room cleaning service was always in and out whenever I was away from the room. So all that to say, definitely two thumbs up, especially considering it's one of their busiest times of the year. Quick note: make sure to print out a record of your reservation and proof of payment. I booked through travelocity and they didn't have confirmation I paid and wanted to run my card again. As soon as I showed them my credit card statement, they cleared it up.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank miakush
aije, General Manager at InterContinental Doha, responded to this review, October 4, 2009
Dear Guest, a warm and sunny greeting from InterContinental!

We want to thank you very much for posting a comment on TripAdvisor and staying with us this September. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed the Eid vacations at our hotel.
We really look foward to welcome you again at InterContinental Doha!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 24, 2009

Quite a expensive hotel and abit further out from the other hotel chains there. The taxi takes about 25mins from the airport.

We initially picked this because of the price compared to its rivals, but it's not until you make your payment (on their website) that tax is included which can be misleading

The hotel itself provides a free shuttle bus albeit at certain times throughout the day and has an excellent restaurant area, there is a vast selection of breakfast.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
aije, General Manager at InterContinental Doha, responded to this review, August 27, 2009
Dear Guest, Greetings from InterContinental Doha.

Customers’ feedbacks such as yours form a vital part or our business. It is through your constructive comments that we are able to increase our awareness on such subject that the one you bring to our attention. Thank you again.

Junction City, Kansas
Reviewed August 2, 2009

Finally! A 5-star hotel that I feel actually earns their 5-stars!
Like myself, many contractors find themselves in Doha as a result of getting a flight from Iraq to Al Udeid airbase. Just one look at the crowded Doha skyline raises an intimidating question: What hotel to stay at while I wait for my flight out of Doha Intl?
Last time I stayed at the Marriot. This time I took a gamble and tried something else. Sure glad I did and here are a few reasons why:

--Friendly staff that speak fluent English
--Wired internet. This is good because, while WiFi is convenient, it's not very secure when you have to do things like input credit card info while you try and book your flight online.
--Business center. They have several internet computers that hook up to a fax/printer so I could print my eticket out. They could also deliver a printer to your room.
--Amazing food! This is the first hotel that has had a lunch or dinner worth talking about. I highly recommend the Tomato Focaccia, Baklava platter and their Shawarma's (like a Mexican carne asada burrito).
--Has a private stretch of beach with shaded areas, not very crowded. Didn't have time to take advantage of this but definitely something to keep in mind.
--No Qatar Riyal? Stateside ATM card a no-go here in Qatar? No problem. You can buy Riyal with your credit card at the reception.

Hope this review is helpful for those passing through Doha!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
aije, General Manager at InterContinental Doha, responded to this review, August 5, 2009
Dear Guest,

Warm greetings from Intercontinental Doha!
First we would like to thank you for choosing our hotel and for posting your review on TripAdvisor.
We are delighted to read that you enjoyed the food and the services, we aim to give you the best!

We do hope to welcome you again at Intercontinental Doha!

Stavanger
Reviewed July 22, 2009

The hotel is great, but it shoud be great considering what you're paying. I guess all the top level hotels in Doha are expensive, and considering that I would recommend this hotel. The rooms are big, the bathroom was lovely, and the service was almost too much. I'm not ever going to get used to "good night service" - at least when I'm working all evening long I don't need someone to pull my curtains:) You HAVE to prioritize an hour in the pool, it's amazing. There's also a private beach for the hotel if you have the time to enjoy it. The location was ok. It's not downtown, but then again it's a bit more quiet. When I was in Doha it was construction work right next to the hotel, but that's hopefully done now. The gym is amazing, they actualy have a lot of professional sports-people staying there.

• Stayed February 2007, traveled on business
aije, General Manager at InterContinental Doha, responded to this review, July 29, 2009
Dear Guest,

Warm welcome from Intercontinental Doha!

First let us thank you for choosing our Hotel; we know that you do have a choice of various accommodations in the city and we are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us!

We look forward to welcome you again at Intercontinental Doha!

Doha
Reviewed June 22, 2009

I stayed in InterContinental Doha in Feb 2009.
It’s really nice hotel, but not so luxurious.
I like the pool, beach, and room size.

The location is good, just in the heart of Doha.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
aije, General Manager at InterContinental Doha, responded to this review, July 28, 2009
Dear Guest,

Warm welcome from Intercontinental Doha!

Thank you for choosing our hotel for your stay last February. We are delighted for your feedback on TripAdvisor.

It is our end and pleasure to serve and provide you the Best Service and we are pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We really look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future!