“Avoid the First Floor!”

Ranked #16 of 135 Hotels in Doha
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Avoid the First Floor!”
Reviewed February 13, 2008

I stayed here for a week on business a couple of weeks ago. 95% of the employees I encountered were eager to give 110% and went out of their way to make sure I had everything I needed. The service in the Blue Salon was a bit spotty, but the breakfast buffet in the morning were amazing (even if it was $34 USD).
The noise on the first floor at night though is unbearable, I should have moved...ended up going to sleep with headphones on. Absolutely stay on the highest floor you can. We had two meetings and the meeting staff were very helpful. I have never met a friendlier front desk/concierge/front door staff. I had car service to the mall, to the airport, you name it...I would return just for the breakfast buffet!. All-in-all, a pretty nice place, but I've stayed in nicer digs for less than $386 USD/night

• Liked — Breakfast Buffet
  • Disliked — The noise from the lounge at night
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank rbardwell

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 13, 2008

We chose this hotel for a one night stopover between long haul flights in January and again in February and could not have made a better choice. On both occasions our room was very spacious, well furnished and had really comfortable beds. There was lots of wardrobe and storage space, had we needed it, and chilled drinking water, tea and coffee were complimentary.

The bathroom was also spacious with bath, twin wash bowls, bidet, WC and lots of quality toiletries. Bath robes and slippers were supplied and the towels were plentiful, thick and fluffy.

The hotel stands in beautiful grounds with lots of sun beds and shades, there is an enormous outdoor pool and the beach is only a few steps away. Sadly we had no time to make use of these facilities.

By making an online booking well ahead, on a no refund basis, we obtained a very attractive rate and although the hotel is a bit far from the airport, the drive time is only 20/25 minutes and taxis are plentiful and cheap.

Any future stopovers which we make in Doha will certainly be at this excellent hotel.

• Liked — The spacious room and comfortable beds
  • Disliked — The shortness of our stays
  • Stayed February 2008
2 Thank billyboy
Nova Scotia
Reviewed January 24, 2008

A long way from the airport, and I arrived late at night to find that they did not have the non-smoking room available that I had booked. Indifferent manager could have cared less, and was only too happy to take my $400 for the nights stay with little effort to accomodate me in a different room, or offer a discount.
The room that I finally received reeked of cigar smoke, and the two beds consisted of roll-away cots. Terrible experience. Definately NOT up to Intercon standards.

Nice restaurant, terrific breakfast - the ONLY redeeming factor in my stay. There are much nicer 5* hotels in Doha, with a better location and similar price.

Never again.

• Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
6 Thank SpikeNovaScotia
Guernsey UK
Reviewed May 31, 2007

I have just returned from a fantastic 2 night stay at this hotel, which was the end of a business trip to the middle east.

Upon check in i was upgraded to a lovely suite and shown to my room by one of the guest relations staff, who showed excellent levels of service throughout my stay. I was on the 4th floor so i can't really comment on the noise that other reviewers have mentioned. The suite was a really good size, and the bathroom was excellent.

The hotel has several restaurants and bars. I watched the Champions League final in a very busy Palamo, with many of the customers seeming to be ex-pats rather than hotel guests. It's not really a relaxing bar, but the bar at Zoda (the Italian restaurant) is far more chilled. I ate twice at Zoda, and both times had great food. Room service food was also good, as was the pool cafe food.

The pool area is great, although on the weekend it is a little overrun with families who I think are local and must have some type of membership. However there was plenty of room on the beach, which was far quieter.

The only downsides to the hotel were the rather expensive charges for in-room internet and the hotel limo service which is about twice the price of the government run limo service (who have cars available at the hotel at all time and are the same price as taxis). I found this out to my cost on a run to a meeting in the city after i had been "steered" into the hotel limo. I refused to use them for any more trips.

Overall i would thoroughly recommend this hotel and i will be returning for a lesiure break.

21 Thank JG_16
Dubai UAE
Reviewed May 8, 2007

The hotel stay was good, but the noise levels were high on the first floor. Recommend you stay on the higher levels.

The restaurant Palamo was understaffed with brand new waiters. At least they were helpful and friendly.

Beautiful pool, but I did not spend much time there.

Construction next to the hotel makes for a bit of an eyesore.

I will try a different hotel next time.

• Liked — Spacious room
  • Disliked — Noise
17 Thank TheTravBoss
Canada
Reviewed May 2, 2007

My family and I recently visited Doha for a 10days. While there, we stayed with family but visited the InterContinental Hotel on several occassions to enjoy the beach, the pool and the restaurants.

Being from Canada, we are used to a certain level of service and expect value for our money. The service we received at the InterContinental Hotel fantastic. The pool staff were attentative and
always available to assist the guests.

Every inch of the property was spotless and the amenties were of the highest quality.

While in Doha, my daughter celebrated a birthday and we took her to Za Moda (Italian) restaurant. The staff went above and beyond to exceed our expectations. I have never had a chef come to my table to see what we would like prepared for dinner! Wow, unbelievable! I felt
that the people at ZaModa had known me for years and treated me like an old friend. What a great feeling. The food was magnificant and everything was perfect. We were astounded when the staff brought our daughter a cake and sang happy birthday. What a treat for her.

Even though I did not stay at the hotel, I would recommend that if you are visiting Doha, stay at the InterContinental and take an evening to experience Za Moda. Compliments to Chef Fabrizio and his staff.

Again, thank you to all the staff for helping make our trip to Doha a memorable experience.

• Liked — Amenities
  • Disliked — Nothing
20 Thank CanadaTravelcanada
dubai
Reviewed April 26, 2007

we stayed for 2 nights in a twin room. first day they gave us the first floor which wasn't that good so we asked for higher floors and the second day they gave us 4'th floor.

the room: good size rooms with nice bed and nice decorations, not very new though.

bathroom: very big with sep bath and shower. clean and nice.

hotel: breakfast was nice with many things. pools and beach very. the hotel is not in the city but qatar is so small that its 5 minutes to the city, infact u can see the city in front of u. but this distance makes it nicer bec the beach is just for u. try the boat tour of the city from the hotel only 65$. u'll see the whole city with it.

• Liked — location and clean rooms
  • Disliked — size of the rooms
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with friends