“shakedown cruise”
Review of The St. Regis Doha

The St. Regis Doha
Ranked #10 of 140 Hotels in Doha
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Open six months, still not completely open (not all rooms opened) after several years of construction. Many service shortfalls as staff come slowly up to speed. Pool unspeakably beautiful. Restaurants vary in quality.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank Caseyvtb
TareqDerbas, General Manager at The St. Regis Doha, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2012

Thank you for choosing to stay at The St. Regis Doha. I’m delighted to read how much you appreciated our Olympic size pool with its incredible vistas over the Arabian Gulf. Regarding the rooms, we are adding safety railings to the rooms located on the 2nd floor as these rooms have terraces; this addition is being made to assure our guests’ safety. All other construction work has been finalized in the hotel; we obviously continue to maintain different areas in the hotel as can be expected from a five star hotel. From the ten restaurants & lounges only Hakkasan is not fully completed and expected to open later on this year. If you could please contact me directly regarding the service shortfalls, I would appreciate receiving more information allowing us to address them accordingly making sure we continue to offer a St. Regis experience to all guests. Please do not hesitate in the future to contact me during your stay allowing us to make any improvements and rectifications whilst you are are the hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back upon your next visit to Doha.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,521)

Reviewed October 7, 2012

I'm trying to get through 44460000 to know the price for their Friday Brunch (if they have one). I've got my call transferred at least 6 times (when I called them) and after their admittance of "I don't know what I'm doing", they took down my number to give me the details and started the vicious circle again and dropped my call AGAIN.
Whats the point of building a 5* star property when things like this happen even before the guest enters the hotel.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Shane_BNE
TareqDerbas, General Manager at The St. Regis Doha, responded to this reviewResponded October 13, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback following your negative telephone experience. Allow me to first of all apologize for the inconvenience caused. This month we are experiencing technical challenges with our telephone lines. Unfortunately you called at a time when our telephone lines were not working properly not allowing us to transfer your call in a swift manner as you expect. Our telephone operators were inundated with calls as only the main telephone line was working. Again, please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience. We are focusing on a solution together with our telephone provider to avoid this from happening again. I sincerely hope this challenge does not stop you from visiting The St. Regis Doha and hope to welcome you to our Friday brunch or on another accession.

Reviewed October 6, 2012

5 Star properties in Doha are generally very good, and in comparison to Europe or USA etc, place a 5 Star deluxe rating on all the properties. This hotel is a new property and is going though the standard new property issues with services provided. The service is not that good generally across the entire hotel, and the quality of foods, coffees etc is still very average indeed, especially for the cost being paid in this property.

As and overall look the property is up there as one of the best in the country. Great pool and beach area and in general great facilities all round. Restaurant wise have eaten in the Arabic restaurant, which was over priced, poor service and not that great on the quality side, paid in the region of QR 192 or US 60 for a bit of fish, with no side orders, nothing, full of homes and not that tasty at all, and then to follow on the drink side a caffe latte resembles a very badly done American coffee. Lots of work to be done in this restaurant in all areas. Property has a very nice beach bar, bar b q and love reggae band, again service is a little slow, costs a little high and the bar b q is very average, however a good atmosphere for a relaxing evening.

Overall observation, would be let this place get is management and staff sorted out and it will make for a very good property. Provided very good overall based on its appearance and comfort only. The rest is boarder line poor.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends

Thank you for sharing your feedback. It is great to read how much you enjoyed the leisure facilities at the hotel, especially the beach & pool area. I will address the other comments you mentioned with the team, making sure all our guests can enjoy an experience beyond expectation as you can expect from a St. Regis hotel.

Reviewed September 30, 2012

Definitely the best stay in Qatar with reasonable prices for a 5 stars hotel. Restaurants are wonderful and the events are more than great; Ramadan tent for example. We love being there every time we are planning a quick getaway or romantic night.

Room Tip: All rooms are stunning
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
TareqDerbas, General Manager at The St. Regis Doha, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2012

It’s a pleasure welcoming you as a regular guest to The St. Regis Doha. Your feedback is important, please do not hesitate to share your experiences with the team allowing us to continuously improve where we still can. It would be a pleasure meeting you in person, please do not hesitate to ask for me upon your next visit.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

First of, I had posted a review previously but I wanted to edit it and was not able to do it, so I removed it and here is a full review this time.
I stayed at the St-Regis from the 10-15 of Sept, I was there for an international conference and decided to stay at the hotel where the meetings were being held. What a great choice did I make! The experience started the moment I set foot in the hotel, with it's beautiful decor, marble, reception area, professionalism of the staff, etc. First of, the butler service.. what an experience. Our evening butler (during the day I was in meetings), Nadya, was so helpful and available. Whether it was for the laundry, or for setting up a late check out, Nadya was great! In my previous review I indicated that things were a little bit pricey, but let me explain. The room is not pricey, just some of the little extra (soft drink in fridge in room as an example), but is it over pricey? I don't think so. I think it is what is to be expected for an hotel as grandiose as the St-Regis. It is, for me, a life experience. I personally found the beds some if not the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in. I would just lay down and fall asleep. It was a great experience. The room was well decorated, a good size, the amenities were very good, nothing to complaint about.
During my visit I planned to go eat at Gordon Ramsay's restaurant. I have never been to a Gordon Ramsay's restaurant and always wanted to. What a great place. First of, the maitre d' was very nice and professional, the sommelier provided a very good suggestion, the chef came out to talk to guests to see how things were, everyone was great but the best one of all was our waiter from Serbia, Christopher. I found him to be efficient, friendly, polite, professional and he appeared to enjoy his job. If I had a restaurant I'd hired him. Now, the food at Gordon Ramsay... one word... WOW (not sure if it's really a word)! I selected the prestige menu and I was in no way at all disappointed. I loved every course and the flavours, presentation, service, the entire experience was worth it. Some might find it a bit pricey, but it was the price I was expecting to pay to live such a great experience. Would I go back? Yes if I am given the chance.
On the Friday we managed to secure a desert excursion, thanks to the concierge (Carlos I believe) even if it was at the last minute. We really enjoyed the experience.
We were able to secure a late check out as well on the last day (our flight was leaving at 8pm) and it was such a great time to finally have the time to relax by the beautiful pool and to enjoy the sun. The food ordered by the pool (sandwiches) were very tasty and at a good price. Finally, we decided to take the hotel limo to the airport, and I have no regrets at all either, being driven to the airport in a beautiful Jaguar...
Overal, I truly enjoyed the Doha St-Regis. I even told some of the staff when seeing them at the hotel. The staff is very professional and courteous, the hotel is beautiful, amenities are very good, the entire experience is great. If I have the chance I would go back there. Thank you St-Regis for an awesome experience.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful experience at The St. Regis Doha. It’s a pleasure reading how much you enjoyed the décor, service and the St. Regis bed. We look forward to welcoming you back to the finest address in Qatar and create another experience beyond your expectation.

Reviewed September 17, 2012

This was my second time at the St Regis, I was not really chuffed on a second visit as the first one was not good. I had a business lunch at the Vine which was just disappointing food,service the setting was beautiful but that's where it all ended.

My second visit was with friends after a busy week, and having dined at La mer a few days before that. I came in with very judgmental eyes, we were going to try the casual dining by Gordon ramsay. I must say deep inside the excitement was there, at the door we were welcomed by an English Manager.He was with two young lady's (hostesses), we were escorted to the main dining area. But it was more of a sprint, the hostess was clearly in a hurry she had a strong Arabic accent.She looked a bit irritated and we could not make out a thing she was saying as her English was not that good. When we got to the dining room she froze stood for a while, she left us there waiting to be shown to a table. We were approached by a African manager, he was very humble yet (slick). He apologized for the wait and showed us to a table, we sat down and the show began.He explained the theme of the restaurant, but with flair and passion he knew what he was talking about.It came as no surprise that it was not his first time working for Gordon, he was part of the opening team of Maze Cape Town.We knew and felt like we were well taken care off,our waitress Tijana was well trained as she made perfect recommendations.

One thing that this restaurant, had was a on hand management team as opposed to The Vine.I Watched through out our dinner, how the female manager and the male manager were going to each table.One bad thing the Michelin Stared chef was around,but only focused on one table.I could see the excitement on my friends face, but we as the other salary paying guests were neglected. I expected the chef to come to the table, even if it was just to say hi (Didn't happen) and as this is normal in a Gordon Ramsay restaurant.
I guess only a certain few, are worthy of Michelin star attention.Never the less the food was out of this world,simple nothing fancy yet incredibly delicious. There was a lot of wrong, that you would not expect from a St Regis.EG.The restaurant was freezing and then at a point it became very hot, the loud noise coming from their bill printing machine.The Floor felt like it would collapse at anytime,but the service made all these look minor.Thanks to the African manager with his attentiveness, and to Tijanas wonderful service I would recommend them above any Casual restaurant in Doha.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Lionel C
TareqDerbas, General Manager at The St. Regis Doha, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments on Tripadvisor. It is with great pleasure I read how much you enjoyed the service of the staff at Opal by Gordon Ramsay. I also take note of the areas of improvement; an action plan will be put in place to address all of your comments assuring an even better experience when you return to The St. Regis Doha. We look forward to welcoming you back many times to come.

Reviewed September 3, 2012

A mini-vacation before a busy Christmas season, I had the pleasure of staying 2 nights at The St. Regis. I tried hard to find fault with the hotel, typically with being in the industry, one does make comparisons to other properties. I had an exquisite time, the staff are what take this place to the next level, I was extremely impressed with what the GM has achieved in such a short time. Vintage Bar - delightful bar staff, Opal - superb, Vine for breakfast, the team made me smile (and I am not a morning person). The pool is huge, it was great to have a proper swim for once. Next time I will most certainly stay for longer, I cannot recommend this place more strongly.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
TareqDerbas, General Manager at The St. Regis Doha, responded to this reviewResponded September 8, 2012

It was our pleasure to welcome you to The St. Regis Doha for your mini-vacation. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on Tripadvisor. We will pass on your comments to the staff, especially at our Vintage lounge, Opal by Gordon Ramsay and Vine. We continuously enhance our breakfast experience based on the feedback we receive from our guests, including the reviews on Tripadvisor. Our pool is indeed Olympic size and we hope to see you enjoying our recreational facilities again upon your next visit to the finest address in Qatar.