“Great food, service is overdone”

New York Steakhouse
Ranked #24 of 854 Restaurants in Doha
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic, Business meetings, Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Be stunned by this restaurant's setting and traditional steakhouse feel. A truly memorable dining experience embodying the rich tradition of fine American steakhouses, sip a drink at the sleek bar while you're here.
College Station, Texas
“Great food, service is overdone”
Reviewed March 29, 2013

OK, it's an American style steak-house -- they have that down and done right. I got a New York strip and it was just excellent. Prime beef, cooked *perfectly*. Side dishes were perfect too.

The portions are very large -- you won't leave hungry.

Now the service: Well, like the rest of the hotel in which they are located the service is just too over done. They try so hard they come off as fawning and obsequious.

As I was leaving, I was stopped by no less than 5 staff: the waitress, some other waitress, the bartender, the maître d', and some guy guarding the door. "Did you like your food sir?" "Oh, sir, thank you just ever so much for coming in!" "Good-by sir!" "Sir, I hope you can come back soon!" "Have a wonderful evening sir, and please sir accept our appreciation that you could come." "Excuse me, sir -- let me interrupt you on your way out so I can thank you again for coming!" "Sir, please come back soon so we can lick your shoes sir!"

Look, it's fine to be polite and customers expect to be treated well. But my god, I thought I'd eaten a jar full of saccharine.

1 Thank George W
Robert C, Director of Beverage & Food at New York Steakhouse, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Hello “George”

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments in regard to your recent visit to the New York Steakhouse, it is much appreciated. It is with such feedback that we can endeavor to continually improve our product and service. I am however, sorry to hear that we fell short of your expectations and would value the opportunity to discuss further if you could contact me at Robert.catlin@renaissancehotels.com. Thank you once again for your comments about our New York Steakhouse and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Best Regards

Doha, Qatar
“5 Star Prices. That's about it”
Reviewed March 27, 2013

Im surprised by all the other reviews. I was not overly impressed by the food or service. There were 3 other tables in the whole place, more staff than customers I would assume, and still the service was not great. It was a long wait for anything. I was also unimpressed with the food. I mean, it was steakhouse OK, but not 5 Star price OK. Not value for money.
Would I rush back? No
Would I eat there again if invited by friends? Probably so.

2 Thank Hoox
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of your recent visit to our New York Steakhoue, it is much appreciated. I am sorry to hear that we fell short of your expectations and would value the opportunity to discuss further if you could contact me at Robert.catlin@renaissancehotels.com Thank you once again for your comments about our New York Steakhouse and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Best Regards
London, United Kingdom
“Decent place, good service.”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

The service was very courteous and helpful, but I found the food unimpressive, especially considering the rave reviews. Maybe it was a case of getting my hopes up, and it certainly wasn't that the food was "bad", it was just.... ok. I've certainly had better steak for less money, even in doha.

1 Thank James M
Robert C, Director of Beverage & Food at New York Steakhouse, responded to this review, March 23, 2013
Dear James M,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding the New York Steakhouse. I have passed on your comments to the New York Steakhouse team, as such feedback continuously inspires us to do our utmost in our service, food and atmosphere. We hope to see you again at the New York Steakhouse.

North Little Rock, Arkansas
“Good - 3.5 out of 5.”
Reviewed March 2, 2013

This place was good, but nothing special. The steaks were nice, but nothing to write home about. Service was fine, and the ambiance within the restaurant was ok. On the whole I would say it was pleasant enough, but not so much that I would rush to go back in a hurry.

Visited February 2013
2 Thank nomadsoul1985
Robert C, Director of Beverage & Food at New York Steakhouse, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Dear NomadSoul1985,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding the New York Steakhouse. I have passed on your comments to the New York Steakhouse team, as such feedback continuously inspires us to do our utmost in our hotels and restaurants. We look forward to welcoming you back to the New York Steakhouse.

Granite Bay, California
“Best Steak in Doha?”
Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

How about the best steak I have ever had anywhere bar none. I have visited many distant and exotic places during my business travels over the years, and I have enjoyed many excellent meals, from San Francisco to Manila, from New York to London, from Rome to Doha. The steak I ate at the Marriott New York Steakhouse was the best piece of meat I ever bit into. Tender, cooked-to-perfection, melt-in-your-mouth, superb. What can I say...I loved it! And then to be given a choice of cutlery with which to eat the thing...definitely at the top of my "I can't believe I ate the whole thing" list.

1 Thank MikeSkala
Robert C, Director of Beverage & Food at New York Steakhouse, responded to this review, March 3, 2013
Dear MikeSkala,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding the New York Steakhouse. It means a lot to us that you enjoyed your visit and were willing to share that experience with the Trip Advisor community. I have passed on your glowing compliments about the steaks and service to our General Manager John Northen, and the New York Steakhouse team, as such flattering remarks continuously inspire us to do our utmost in our hotels and restaurants. We look forward to welcoming you back to the New York Steakhouse.