“very good option”

InterContinental Doha The City
Ranked #9 of 138 Hotels in Doha
Reviewed April 9, 2014

compared to other hotels in Doha this one is very good option. Very good location at the West Bay.
Amaizing views from the gym located on top of the building

Would be better when the neighbourhood works finalize.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Your_dedicated_host, General Manager at InterContinental Doha The City, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2014

Dear Carles,
thank you for rating us "over and above" the usual Doha hotels. We re proud to be Qatars biggest and as we hope still most personal & genuinely friendly 5* hotel! Works in Qatar are everywhere and progressing very quickly in most cases... upon your return, it will all be different... just we will be trying hard to remain "a very good option" and your "No1 option"!
Best wishes from the InterContinental Doha The City Team

Write a ReviewReviews (1,327)

Reviewed April 8, 2014 via mobile

I am a Platinum Royal Ambassador member and the InterContinental Hotel At Doha the City, It has become my home away from home. The staff members at the City are awesome, from the Kenyan Brothers handling my baggage or the Valet service to Ms. Judi that took care of getting me into a awesome suite on the 47th floor that really made me feel at home. And of course when it comes to getting business done Ms. Fredei is top knock. Your technical ability and polite manners makes it easy to choice the City. This hotel has become my place of choice in Doha, Qatar. I will be back there in four days, so InterContinental Family I will be back for 15 more days because your staff continues to make me feel at home.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business

Dear John,
always great to get feedback, even greater if it is on such positive note! With pride we have passed on your comments to the team and look forward to your return!
Your InterContinental Doha The City Team

Reviewed April 8, 2014

I have been staying as a long term guest in one of the residence suites for over 4 months. This hotel is located very conveniently in West Bay. The suites are large, with modern furnishing and utilities - making a long term stay very comfortable. The best part of the hotel are its staff. A very friendly and professional bunch of people. For all our needs, a simple phone call to the "instant services" is sufficient to get assistance immediately. Special mention must be made of Mr. Sudipto Mondal who is a Housekeeping Supervisor. His attention to minutest of details and caring for the guests is outstanding! For anything that you need or are unsure of, just talk to him!

I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone who is planning to stay long term in Doha, especially in the West Bay area.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the ocean.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family

Dear KoushikSinha,
thank you for your praise for your most recent stay in our residences. "Outstanding" is a great accolade for us and the team who makes this a special place, over and above the facilities.
Looking forward having you back at any time!
Best regards from the entire team from the InterContinental Doha The City

Reviewed March 31, 2014

My company booked me into the InCon City for a period of a week. I was allocated a super super king size room on the 37th Floor.

First Impressions
The staff checked me in ahead of the official check in time which allowed me to have a quick shower after my long flight an freshen up ready to go to the office.
The hotel is very clean and tastefully decorated (for Middle Eastern standards). Though some of the decorating is a bit poor in isolated areas (I am being picky but this is a 5 star hotel so I am allowed to be).
My room was pretty big with a huge bed, desk, chaise lougue and 42" TV. The orientation of the TV and bed was at 90 degrees so not the best.
Views were great and only marred by the various construction works going on in the area (however one must accept this in the Middle East).
Bathroom was huge as was the shower room which had a railfall head and handset. A selection of Elemis toiletries were presented along with some other bits and pieces that could prove useful.

Sleep & Shower Quality
The bed though large was relatively comfortable but not as comfy as mine at home (but then none of them are) and I did wake up a bit stiff.
The shower control was very stiff and needed a lot of effort to turn. Hot water came out only after a few minutes running (not very efficient) but the pressure was great once it got going.
The bath also took a while to get hot water and taller people may struggle to stretch out as it is quite small.

Food & Drink
I only really stayed for a cocktail on Thursday as it was 2 4 1 and at 70QR per cocktail it made a lot of sense! The waiter did look at me funny when i ordered two for myself!

The breakfast was excellent, loads of choice, from cereals, pastries, cold meats, cooked breakfasts, pancakes, waffles, omlettes etc. It was difficult to keep my intake to normal levels!

Service from all staff was very good and professional.

Location
Located in the West Bay Area, a 15 min drive (in no traffic) from the airport.
10 mins walk to City Centre mall for shops, supermarket and various eateries.
20min walk to the start of the Corniche.
Qatar does not cater for pedestrian and you really have to have your wits about when walking and crossing the busy roads and construction areas.
Loads of other hotels in the area so lots of places to eat and drink (but take your passport if you want anything alcoholic as some places will ask).

Summary
I had an excellent stay with some minor niggles which i won't expect in a 5 star hotel but the hotel is highly recommended and in a great location.

Room Tip: The end rooms are further away from the lifts.

Dear Dishmeister,
thank you for the great and extensive summary! Your feedback is being very helpful and we appreciate your openness and time to share!
We shall be looking forward for your return next time your travel bring to Doha!
Your InterContinental Doha The City Team

Reviewed March 25, 2014

What a fantastic hotel, great location. We were spoilt as we stayed on the Exec floor, the rooms were first class and the view was brilliant. Staying in the Exec floors is beneficial if you care for a drink in the evenings as they serve cocktails from 6.30pm until 9.00pm. Maya Lee the Club supervisor was outstanding, she was so caring and managed all our needs, including my wife and I arriving at 6.00am, We will certainly stay there again

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Your_dedicated_host, General Manager at InterContinental Doha The City, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2014

Dear big47al,
thank you for your kind words and praise! With delight we shall be welcoming you back on any future trip that takes you to Qatar!
Looking forward to your return and with best regards,
Your InterContinental Doha the City Team

Reviewed March 24, 2014 via mobile

I have written a number of reviews about this hotel since it opened and I first stayed here. The staff turnover is high as they're aren't many familiar faces which I think indicates the service issues that they still face a couple of years on from opening.

The property itself is beautiful and once the surrounding construction has been finished the location is good too in the heart of the business district of Doha. I have heard complaints about construction noise but never experienced this myself. The pool area is stunning.

They lobby areas are confusing as there are a number of entrances making it a challenge to meet people. The rooms are very well appointed with stunning views over the cityscape but it is the lack of consistent service that is the most frustrating. Some of the staff are excellent and can not do enough for the guests but it us evident (particularly in the Club Lounge) that they are severely under staffed at peak times. They seem also still to have some technical issues as I had to have my room key recoded 3 times on a 3 night visit - once admittedly was the fault of the receptionist at check-in as they coded my key to another room.

It is a real shame that this hotel can not seem to get things right as it has the potential to be a IHG property similar to the InterContinental in Dubai. I have tried to engage with the management to share my various experiences but they show little if no interest which is disappointing.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Vigggen
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Doha The City, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2014

Dear Vigggen,

Thank you for your review regarding your stay with us.

I apologize for you did not find some aspects of the hotel and our service level to your liking. We constantly strive to provide an environment of comfort and value to our guests, therefore, we are sincerely concerned when we fall short of your expectations. I have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality of services we offer to our guests.

Rest assured that your comments will be forwarded to the hotel's management and will be used to consider improvements. We hope that you give us another chance and allow us to make your stay as best as it can be.

Dhan M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed March 24, 2014

I stayed at the intercontinental doha the city because I had a conference there. The hotel in itself is ok. Nice room, great view from the city, but next time I would stay at the intercontinental at thebeach instead. Also nice hotel, and only about 10 minutes drive (about 5 dollars) by taxi. And then you have a lot more ammenities and when you arrive back to your hotel a bit of vácation feeling. Except for a shopping mall at about 15 minutes walk from the hotel, there isn't much to do around the hotel Intercontinental doha the city

1  Thank traveladdictions

Dear Traveladdictions,
thank you for your review and the great 4&5star ratings in all categories. Unfortunately the location pulled it down to an overall of 3stars. Please do not hesitate to contact our concierge or guest relations on your next stay. They will be able to point out ample of opportunities to you. We are ideally located in the heart of WestBay, which puts you in the middle of most happenings in Qatar.
Hopefully till soon and we will make your trip to enjoy!
Your InterContinental Doha the City Team