“Hidden gem in Doha”

Ranked #4 of 135 Hotels in Doha
Chichester, United Kingdom
“Hidden gem in Doha”
Reviewed January 15, 2013

There is only one problem with this place - taxis can't find it. My colleague's taxi took her to the OTHER Intercontinental, despite me telling the driver, her telling the driver and showing it to him written down. I even had the same problem with a normal metered taxi who just couldn't find the front door.

Hotel is utterly confusing to navigate yourself around, and i stayed for 10 days! However the staff are great, and the rooms are very clean and comfortable. Mini bars are devoid of alcohol for some reason?

Usual problems for me as a vegetarian in this kind of business hotel. I am bored to tears with 'tomato pasta, or we can cook you something'. But you can easily go somewhere else like Cucina or Vapiano like i did.

Overall i prefer the W Hotel, largely because there is more choice of eating and drinking opportunities.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
General Manager G, General Manager at InterContinental Doha The City, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Dear Geoff
Thank you for the subject line - 'Hidden Gem in Doha'.
Please accept our sincerely apologies for the inconveniences experienced during your stay with us.We are due to open one more restaurant this year and this will give our guests more of choice for dining.
Renzo M. Cavagliotti

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (257)
  • Arabic first
Reviewed January 15, 2013

I recently visited Doha for the first time and ended up staying at this hotel. The one thing that really stuck out to me during my time there was the staff. They were extremely friendly and went out of their way way to help out with anything I needed.
During my stay I chose to eat at Strata, Prime, as well as The Square for breakfast. Strata is the seafood restaurant; it is very elegant and modern. Its amazing views of Doha is a must-see, plus their sushi was awesome. Prime is a steakhouse and I had the best steak that I've ever tasted. The Square is a lot more laid back and is a great choice for breakfast, they have a huge buffet with every type of food you'd ever want.
I also frequented their gym quite often and found that the amazing city view from that altitude helped to distract me from my intense workout. It was also extremely clean with new towels and water bottles at each machine, and the staff always greeted me with big smiles.
All in all it was a great trip and I couldn't have been more pleased with my stay.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Dear KarenPJ78

Thank you for your wonderful comments. I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed our dining options and the gym. We are very proud of the amazing views, we aim to please all our guests with great service and food and it is always great to hear these positive opinions. We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed January 15, 2013

If you're tired of always having to have the unnecessary 5* trappings when you're on a business trip in Doha then this is the place. Its well located, great service ( thank you for the rapid provision of a sewing kit to avoid a wardrobe malfunction before a big meeting), big comfortable rooms that are simply and comfortably done.
Two small gripes - the scrambled egg at breakfast just looked sad and the shower door and bathroom door fight each other - its an awkward piece of design that a guest shouldn't have to do battle with.
Its only been one night but I would certainly be back.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear lucy u

Thank you for your feedback from your short stay with us. We look forward to having you back at the hotel very soon.

Perth, Australia
Reviewed January 11, 2013

Pros
My Ambassador status was recognised immediately upon check in and was upgraded to an executive room which was by far the biggest room we had occupied in our 3 week trip so far. The choice of 3 welcome gifts to choose from and the fruit platter in the room served to sweeten the entire check-in experience.
The strength of the hotel lies in the attitude of the multi-national staff. Almost all we came across served with an attitude to please. As my main luggage had gone missing during my flight, the concierge crew was especially helpful taking the initiative to call the airport for updates. Needless to say, they were also present when the airline representative brought my lost luggage over and offered advice and assurance regarding the process involved in making a claim against insurance. another example was at 0430 in the morning during check-out. Our transport we had previously booked, did not show up. The porter immediately swung into action and called a cab for us. We would have been late for our flight if not for this initiative. It is obvious that management has trained their staff well so bravo to management for that.
Areas for improvement
The hotel is barely 2 years old but the glass outside our room window was filthy. The interior of our room was clean, however, whenever one looks out of the window, the entire experience was hampered. Also, the aircon duct was also not as quiet as we would have liked it to be. It was not loud but it was audible and we found that annoying when one was trying to sleep and jet lagged.
In General about Intercontinental
Having experienced the hospitality extended by the likes of the 4 seasons, Ritz Carlton and the Shangri-la, the intercontinental pales in comparison to its competition. The distinctive character of the group did not come through. While the major foundations of a good hotel are in place, the smaller and more unique touches which distinguishes the good from the memorable was not observed during our stay. Little touches like a welcome towel or drink during check-in, a breakfast snack/coffee for guest who check out in the wee hours of the morning before the regular opening hours of their F&B outlets or even unique toiletries which subtlety reminds one that they were guest of the intercontinental group would have enhanced the experience.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
General Manager G, General Manager at InterContinental Doha The City, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Dear Rafflesia
Thank you for all your comments, suggestions and feedback. Please accept our sincerely apologies for the inconveniences experienced during your stay with us. We have taken into consideration all the different aspects you mentioned and rest assured that they are being appropriately handled.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed January 9, 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights during a business trip to Doha. The hotel is nice, a typical business class hotel, but what impressed me was the service. I fell ill during my trip and the hotel staff took extra effort to provide me with the medication I required. I had approached a member of staff for medication on my first day there, and on my third day, when she bumped into me in the hotel lounge, she recalled that I was ill, and enquired how I was doing and offered to make me tea with honey and lemon. The service will definitely ensure that I stay at this hotel again if I return to Doha.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear Gryphon
Firstly I am sorry to hear that you were not feeling well during your stay with us however I am really happy to hear that our colleagues had this approach towards your health and well being. Please do stay with us during your next visit to Doha. We look forward to having you back.
london
Reviewed January 5, 2013

Stayed for 3 nights in Diplomatic suite, which is huge, but does have few lighting issues (very dark) club lounge is excellent must rank one of the best for intercontinental, staff and service all very good for a newly opened hotel, pool area is very small and not ideal but for business traveller is a very well organised and well run hotel, yes it does have few issues which will slowly be ironed out lifts are bit of a pain, as with high rise buildings,some sewage smells in building at various times, once these teething problems are sorted this could become a excellent hotel to stay if you have business in Doha

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
General Manager G, General Manager at InterContinental Doha The City, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Dear Dubaiman,

We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and thank you for giving us such a great comment “ranked one of the best for InterContinental ” .We really look forward to your next stay with us.

Best regards

Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed December 31, 2012

This stay was by far the most disappointing for an InterContinental hotel. My recommendation, find another hotel. First and foremost, the hotel was not designed or built by InterContinental. There are so many design flaws I cannot list them all here and offer just a few: floor to ceiling windows in the bathroom, glass between the bathroom and bedroom (the hotel put up black plastic but it stills allows light in), air conditioning problems, poor room lighting, and staff lifts out in the open.

A problem with the air conditioning resulted in me falling ill. I set the thermostat to 23 (73) and awoke to a cold room with a temperature of 13 (55). I called for maintenance at 08:00 and they arrived after 11:30 when I called for them again. Additionally, I experienced problems with routine items such as directions within the buildings, a non-existent business centre, delayed laundry service, uncaring staff, and calls for service.

The hotel is in an excellent location and I did enjoy the hotel restaurants. The rooms are spacious with new furnishings.

Room Tip: Select a room that is not on a corner of the building. Staff advised me the units in the middle of...