“Great looking hotel but some ridiculous service elements”
Review of Oryx Rotana Doha

Oryx Rotana Doha
Ranked #11 of 135 Hotels in Doha
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great looking hotel but some ridiculous service elements”
Reviewed October 20, 2010

I spent a night at the Oryx Rotana as I had a long layover in Doha and used Qatar Airways' program where they put you up in a hotel for $125 (for passengers in economy class, which includes immigration fees, hotel, transportation to hotel and all meals).
The hotel is across a small road from the airport. They have a poorly marked shuttle bus that parks in the parking lot and runs occasionally. Very difficult to find. On the other hand, once you know your way around, the hotel is literally a 3 minute walk from the terminal building.
On the positive, the hotel is brand new and very impressive looking, inside and out. The deal called for a 3* hotel and the Rotana was far better than that and in that sense exceeded my expectations.
The room was very large and extremely modern with everything designed futuristically. They have a ton of buttons on the wall controlling lights, temperature, do not disturb sign etc. - the buttons were not all labeled and not very intuitive, but I managed. The bed was large and very comfortable. They had a large plasma TV with about 70 channels (and yet none of them showed the UEFA Champions League).
The bathroom was heavenly, including a very large shower area and a rain-drop shower head on the ceiling. It had a toilet and a bidet. However, as someone pointed out, it only came with one large towel and did not have shampoo - which was quite bizarre. (I did not bother calling to try and get some.)
Under the Qatar Airways deal food was provided separately in one of the conference rooms, so I did not get to try out the restaurants which appeared very posh from the outside. There seemed to be plenty of food and of good variety in the room, including at odd times (I grabbed breakfast before 5am and it was fully stocked). There did not seem to be any drink options beyond water during the day (and orange juice and coffee for breakfast).
Now, for the things that were not so great:
- The pool is not free, they wanted 75 riyals (~$20) even though the place was completely empty.
- Windows were dirty on the outside. There was a sand storm of sorts, but it didn't seem that out of the ordinary so they must have some plan for keeping it clean (that wasn't working)
- There are no cabs whatsoever at the hotel, nor will they call one for you. Instead, they try to get you to use a limo service which is 4x as expensive. The simple, if annoying, solution is to walk the 3 minutes to the airport terminal and grab a metered cab from there.
- They had some truly ridiculous policies at checkout. Now, I will allow that some of the bizarre rules may be government-imposed due to the nature of the Qatar Airways-guaranteed visa I happened to be on. But it felt like being in a bad movie. My flight was at 8:05am and they said I had to be at the airport by 5:05 and will get a wake up call at 4:05. I protested that it was way too early and explained that I needed only 5 minutes to get down to the lobby (no luggage whatsoever) but they said it was impossible to change their rule and the computer would automatically call me 4 hrs before take off. I said I would leave the phone of the hook and they said they would send someone to knock on my door if I didn't answer (which they did). As if that wasn't bad enough, their shuttle busses run at :10 and :40 past the hour, and they decided it would be unacceptable to get me to the airport at 5:12 so they wanted me to take the earlier shuttle at 4:40 and thus they woke me up a full hour before that, at 3:40am. And when I (of course) wasn't there for the 4:40am (because I went back to sleep and planned on taking the 5:10am shuttle) they kept calling back and sending more people to knock on the door. At least no one tried to enter the room. But the lights did suddenly come on at one point. Now, it is possible that I accidentally pushed some weird setting, but at the time I felt like someone from the outside was controlling the lights and trying to get me to wake up and leave, very big brother.
I know this sounds small and petty, but when you are tired and getting ready to go on a 14 hr flight little things matter, and being repeatedly woken up an hour earlier than is necessary, in the middle of the night, is simply unacceptable from a customer service perspective. Fundamentally, they made me feel uncomfortable and out of control, and that is simply unacceptable.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank vlad_dc
OryxRotana, Guest Relations Manager at Oryx Rotana Doha, responded to this review, December 27, 2010
Dear Sir,

Thank you for staying at Oryx Rotana Doha and sharing your feedback. We will definitely consider your suggestions and improve our services.
Thank you once again and we are looking forward to welcome you in our hotel.

Kindest regards,
Oryx Rotana’s Guest Services

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed October 12, 2010

Was returning from Istanbul on the 3rd October, didnt have a flight till the 4th, so was forced to pay approx 245 USD for a room + visa + meals arranged by qatar airways.... The voucher entitled us to 2 dinners, breakfast, lunch and refreshments. It took us 25 minutes to collect our voucher, clear immigration, find the bus and reach the Hotel, but when we reached the hotel, the short guy at the reception at midnight of the 3rd was so slow, it took us an hour to get our keys and head to our room.

The room was large and spacious, the lobby was impressive, the hotel on the whole was impressive..... We ware husband and wife, booked a DBL room, but were given twin beds - we were tired, so we adjusted. The TV had no volume, complained, but no one came. The toilet had only One towel, complained, got it. No shampoo only soap, requested for some shampoo but was denied saying they dont give shampoos which I found very strange !

As we arrived at midnight, we got no dinner as I was told the restaurant is closed. Breakfast was minimal, so was lunch, they have a seperate area for transit passengers and for their regular guests. Refreshments got us a juice and sandwich, we wanted tea, but they said no tea. They were so eager to get us out of the hotel, that from the morning, over 6 people knocked on the door wanting to know when we are checking out. From 4pm, we kept getting calls to know when we were checking out. Our flight was not till 9.30, and we didnt have to be at the airport till 7pm. The hotel was literally 2 minutes from the airport. We thought we could check out at 6.30, have dinner and go, but was told the next bus is not till 7.30, and was forced to leave at 6.30. I thought this was unfair.

At, 5.30, I removed the Iron and the ironboard from the cupboard to iron my t-shirt. At that time, I saw my wifes suede jacket hanging. I ironed my clothes, left the ironboard outside. With the harassment of the receptionist, we dressed and left the room forgetting the jacket. The moment I left the room, I noticed two guys entering the room. My wife forgot all about the jacket till we reached the airport. From the airport I called and spoke to a girl called Jarina, told her about the missing jacket. She asked me to call back after 10 minutes. I called back and was told there was nothing in the room.

Am sure the two guys who entered the room stole the jacket because I myself saw it less than an hour ago ! If this is the kind of staff the Oryx Rotana employs, then people staying here should be very very careful of their belongings. Also, keep your rooms locked from the inside. At 6.30 am, I found someone trying to put in their key card and enter the room. When I opened the door, he was flabbergasted and said, sorry sir, sorry sir and left ! I find this ridiculous......

I should however mention a word of thanks to the guy who organised our sightseeing trip, answered my queries, and was very helpful. He was the only good thing about the hotel.

A nice property, but very very poor service. The reception staff are cold, unhelpful and lack ettiquette and conversational abilities... Less said about them the better !

Wots the use having such a good property when the people who run them are so cold and rob people !!!!

Never again would i recommend or stay in this hotel !

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank vinn_2k
Dear Sir,

Your comments are welcome and appreciated.
As a newly opened five star establishment we will be proud to be able to consider ourselves as setting the best service standards which can be built only through the experience of our guests.
Thank you once again for bringing these issues to our attention.

Kind Regards,
beirut
Reviewed October 2, 2010

I checked in this hotel 5 days ago and i will be staying another 10 days,
from my experience ,in Brief,
Oryx rotana hotel,

pros :
1.good location ( across the airport ) and around 5 miles( 8kilometers from the furthest attraction point in Doha)
2.New hotel, ( everything is brand new, rooms, furniture, lobby,all is modern)
3.management and staff very friendly and helpful ( front desk, restaurants staff imagine you can meet the Kitchen chefs during lunch time and they are very friendly, house keeping immaculate )
4. Internet free of charge and easy to access all across the hotel.
5. restaurant is good ( buffet and a la carte)
6. has the only Jazz club with live band in Doha, Qatar which is amazing,
7. Food Prices are reasonable but drinks are not cheap as in everywhere else in Doha,
8 free underground car parking during the sizzling heat of qatar( i rented a car and i was so glad to access the underground party through my room card with easy access to elevator)
9 Rain forest shower ( some people mentioned that,, i think everybody should try it)
10. i forgot to mention free shuttle service to the airport every half an hour.
11. food is really fresh .
12 gym is not big but has all the needed machines are there
13. management a

cons.
1. swimming pool not well designed and not only few feet deep. so yo u can't enjoy at all

Beijing, China
Reviewed September 28, 2010

I am staying here for a week and the hotel is very new. The rooms are spacious and the lobby is nice. Food in the hotel is not bad. Free wireless internet which is quick and easy to sign in. The hotel does not have many taxis and the hotel is next to the airport so its not close to shops. The Souq Waqif is about 10 minutes cab ride. City Centre is about 20. Everywhere will require a taxi but the hotel does not really make an effort to hail you a cab instead they try and get you to use the limos at 60-100 riyals a pop. The service in this hotel is poor. The front desk staff were rude and the room had no amenities like toothbrush which was disappointing for a supposed 5 star hotel. The pool is nice though.

2 Thank Ewoker
Dubai
Reviewed September 27, 2010

I arrived at the Hotel at 3:00pm and was extremely pleased with the first impression, considering how awful some of the newer hotels in Doha are. Check in took an extraordinarily long time, about 25 minutes. The reception staff need a lot of training and need to learn how to smile!
Breakfast staff were frosty and inefficient. Overall, location, style, price and good F&B would be my reasons for returning. Fitness offerings are also above par, making this a good overall experience.

2 Thank ardnetij
OryxRotana, Guest Relations Manager at Oryx Rotana Doha, responded to this review, November 14, 2010
Dear Sir,

We have noted your comments with regards to the slow service and for that we apologise.

This has been taken up with our Front Office Department so as to look into this matter. We thank you for your feedback as this helps us to improve our service.

Thank you for staying at the Oryx Rotana Doha and we are looking forward to welcoming you again.

Kind Regards,

Oryx Rotana's Guest Services
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed September 8, 2010

arrived in Qatar at midnight and connecting flight left 8am. Stayed at the Oryx Rotana directly across from the airport. 2 minute walk from the Terminal. The hotel exceeded my expectations by far. Extremely clean, luxurious and very attentive staff. Spacious and elegant and comfortable room. Staff paid attention to EVERY detail. Quick check-in / out and a highly pleasant experience to break up 22 hours of travel. after having traveled from the US to Doha and then on to BKK I felt very relaxed and was ready to go to work thanks to the short but pleasant stay. I definitely can recommend this hotel to any through traveler or visitor to Qatar. Great value too. Might return with family when on vacation. Will definitely stay again on my next trip through Qatar. Highly recommended!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank ersamerica
Dear,

Thank you for your compliments!

We are pleased to know that you had an enjoyable stay with us and were happy with our services and facilities.

We look forward to welcoming you and your family in the near future at Oryx Rotana Doha and assure you of our best attention at all times.

Best Regards,

Oryx Rotana's Guest Services
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed September 3, 2010

I, too, found this newly opened hotel to be excellent. It is quite close to the airport (an 18 riyal taxi ride) and was convenient to my business meetings. The rooms are wonderful, bathrooms and very nice, and the room service was also quite good. I was there during Ramadan so did not go to the restaurants. If you are looking for a hotel close to the airport (although nothing in Doha is far away) this would be an excellent choice.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank Frequent_Traveler724
OryxRotana, Guest Relations Manager at Oryx Rotana Doha, responded to this review, November 7, 2010
Dear Sir,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We are happy to know that you had a nice stay with us and that the services of our staff met your expectations.
We would like to thank you once again for your comments as these go a long way in motivating our entire team.
You are welcome to come again for another memorable experience at our Hotel.
Regards,