“Central, all under one roof, good staff, great pool, but bring your own furniture and TV sports subscription.”

Marriott Marquis City Center Doha Hotel
Ranked #16 of 134 Hotels in Doha
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 17, 2014 via mobile

We are generally pleased residents but for three irritating penny-pinching drawbacks. Be prepared to be let down by: poor furniture (we bought our own!!!); no quality sports TV channel, and hit and miss wifi.

• Stayed July 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed July 17, 2014

I was very well taken care upon arrival at front desk by Abdellatif., he went out of his way to satisfy all my needs and answer all my questions. The room was okay not the best, the towels were worn and very much used. some of the male waiters are the breakfast buffet keep staring at the female guest.
Ipanema restaurant is amazing, the manager John and all the staff are absolutely amazing, excellent service. Thank you guys.

Hyderabad, India
Reviewed July 16, 2014

Stayed for 8 days at the Renaissance Doha in the month of June 14.
The welcome experience is average as the front desk did not have a clue as to whom to attend.
However, the room was welcoming, warm and well-done. The facilities in the room were good. The house keeping staff is well mannered and warm.
The buffet breakfast variety is nice and if one has enough time, sit back, relax and enjoy the morning breakfast.
The club lounge had a relaxing ambiance. The staff at the lounge were hospitable and cheerful.
The pool is well maintained and provides for a nice relaxing area in the evenings. The health club too is well equipped.
The hotel is well connected to the City Center Mall where the guests have exclusive access to the mall from the 2nd floor of the hotel. The guests can also visit the Marriott Courtyard and the Marriott execute apartments that are located in the same complex.
The hotel is close to many other malls and hotels around the bay area.

Room Tip: High Floors have a nice aerial view of the bay area.
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed July 14, 2014

Stayed one night on July 13, 2014. I arrived at midnight. The room was cold enough to hang meat. Could not find the thermostat and was not in the mood for an Easter egg hunt at midnight. I had a terrible sleep because it was so cold in the room with the A/C blowing away on high. In the morning in the light of day I found the thermostat on the wall obstructed behind a large rectangular lamp shade.

The design of the room is circa 1970's before the days of personal computers and smart phones. The electrical outlet is on the wall under the desk. You have to get down under on your hands and knees doggy style to plug in your laptop. Woof-woof. Of course you have to first unplug the desk lamp.There was no shampoo in the bathroom. The shower has one of those funky ceiling mounted rain shower heads. Nice if you want to pretend you are Gene Kelly in the movie Singin' the Rain, but awkward for washing yourself. The icing on the cake was the satellite TV not working during the last game of the World Cup.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Renaissance D, General Manager at Marriott Marquis City Center Doha Hotel, responded to this review, July 19, 2014
Dear Mark S,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at the Renaissance Doha City Center Hotel. Your feedback helps us to continuously assess and enhance our services.

I was disappointed to hear about your experience in the room with regards to the air conditioning and the electrical outlet. Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused. I have shared your feedback with our Executive Committee to discuss with the team for improvement. Please do feel free to contact me personally to discuss further at sam.vancampenhout@renaissancehotels.com

We aim to provide the highest standards of service throughout our hotel, and are continuously striving to exceed the expectations of our valued guests. I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Renaissance Doha City Center Hotel.

Hotel Manager, Renaissance Doha City Center Hotel
Doha, Qatar
Reviewed July 12, 2014

Yesterday evening we enjoyed a wonderfully relaxing Iftar at the Renaissance Marriot Doha. The food was wonderful as is usual at any restaurant or bar in this hotel. There were delicious salads, fish, schwarma, hot stations making fresh stir frys, noodles, etc and the desserts and fresh ice cream were heavenly. The room was decorated in fantastic contemporary Arabic style and a quartet of musicians played traditional music. All in all a wonderful night. Staff of course were friendly, smiling and helpful as usual. I love this hotel!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
Reviewed June 29, 2014

Stayed here for 3 nights and two more nights to go (still staying in the hotel at the time of writing the review). The hotel is nice, clean. the rooms are spacious. The Filipino staff is polite and helpful. The location is fine - there is a shopping mall adjacent to the hotel to which you can walk inside.

Now, bad stuff. It is a football World cup time and the hotel does not have a channel that shows football matches. the only place to watch it here is in the smoked-through bar with US$12 a beer. Okay, I went there and made my beer last through the 90+ minutes. But today is the first day of Ramadan and the bar is closed. So, the hotel, knowing that there is no any other option is showing the matches in the "Ramadan ballroom" which mandatory includes a dinner and costs 235 Real (about US$62). So, for me and my wife to go and watch a match will cost US$124!!! We complained at the front desk that this is extortion and they let us watch the game for free since we did not need a dinner. But only for tonight. Tomorrow they said they would charge us US$124 whether we eat or not. Even then, the "ballroom' had two big awful grainy screens that looked like signs at the construction zones. You could barely see the shapes of the players and the ball - forget about time, score and any other details - the screens quality is horrible. This is beyond absurd.

Other poor things with the hotel. We are Marriott Gold members and the lounge has poor selection of food, which is also very repetitive. If you come after an hour or so after breakfast or dinner has began, you will likely find empty pots since they bring out miniscule amounts of food and they will not replenish empty pots. We tip well, so we got "special treatment" when the staff walked down to the restaurant to bring us some eggs when the egg pot was empty (thanks to the workers, they earn next to nothing here and still do a great job). The room we are staying in is not cheap, and this is the service we get? This is not the kind of treatment from any other Renaissance we have stayed in.

Internet is bad - slow and will require you to log in a few times a day. Gym has no hand-weights.

Overall, this place is a football rip-off. I have never encountered this terrible attitude and extortion for simply watching a sports program on the TV.

Room Tip: Avoid smoking rooms - they are nasty.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Renaissance D, Manager at Marriott Marquis City Center Doha Hotel, responded to this review, June 30, 2014
Dear rtw123,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback of stay at Renaissance Doha City Center Hotel.

I was disappointed to hear about your experience of the football matches screening and the service at our Executive Lounge. I have shared your feedback with our Executive Committee to discuss with the team for improvement. Please do feel free to contact me personally to discuss further at sam.vancampenhout@renaissancehotels.com.

Sam Van Campenhout
Hotel Manager, Renaissance Doha City Center Hotel.
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed June 26, 2014

The Renaissance is a pretty solid hotel in most aspects - they do a decent enough breakfast buffet with friendly Filipino staff, have a good sports bar and a run-of-the mill steakhouse. Rooms are high ceilinged but are not going to win any design awards. So nothing stands out as excellent, but nothing is particularly wrong with it - with one exception - A shameless policy of trying to fleece guests on taxis.

Every single time I asked for a regular, local licensed cab, the staff out front tried to upsell me to a 'private' car at 3 or 4 times the price. The drivers of these cars hovered weirdly on the main road. I had no idea who they were, if they were even official, licensed or insured. Each time I needed to go somewhere in a cab, (constantly, given the 110 degree heat) I'd be told that no local taxis are available, but when I insisted, miraculously one would turn up immediately.

On one occasion when I insisted on getting a local cab - due to the principle, not the cost - one turned up, spoke to the guy out front and then drive off with me inside, with 15 riyals already on the meter and rising rapidly. When I inquired why, he suddenly became very defensive and said it was a 'special' taxi for the Renaissance. This is four times the standard daytime flag fall of 4 riyals. It's like getting in a cab in London with 12 quid already on the meter.

The final straw came when I was heading back to the airport - the guys out front said it would cost 'at least 75 riyals' in a regular cab so I should take a 'special' cab for 90. I held myself back from exploding with outrage and took a normal cab. It cost 40 riyals.

The whole sorry charade made simple business travel logistics an ordeal and invariably involved a time-consuming, annoying and unnecessary discussion. If the policy of upselling is sanctioned by the Marriott then they should seriously re-evaluate it - and if its not sanctioned, they need to act immediately to cut it out.

I appreciate that most taxi drivers in Doha are not well paid - but with a fair and honest service, I always tip very generously at around 30%, knowing it goes directly to the driver. I do not however appreciate being taken for an idiot, consistently lied to and scammed. It reflects most poorly indeed on the Marriott brand, on the otherwise diligent and polite hotel staff and the overall impression of the property.

Room Tip: Avoid smoking floors at all costs
Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Dear Penandforkinhand,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback of your recent visit to the Courtyard by Marriott Doha City Center.

I was disappointed to hear about your experience regarding the taxi service. please accept my sincere apologies for the unpleasant experience. I have shared your feedback with our Executive Committee to discuss with the team for improvement. Please do feel free to contact me personally to discuss further at sam.vancampenhout@renaissancehotels.com.

We aim to provide the highest standards of service throughout our hotel, and are continuously striving to exceed the expectations of our valued guests. I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Courtyard by Marriott Doha City Center.

Hotel Manager, Courtyard by Marriott Doha City Center