“Substandard hotel”

Ranked #45 of 134 Hotels in Doha
Colombo, Sri Lanka
“Substandard hotel”
Reviewed July 26, 2012

The room provided did not have a working airconditioning, and I had to call the front desk 4 times before they gave me a new room which was not much better. The shower area does not drain well! Would recommend avoiding this hotel if possible.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Shar M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Poughkeepsie, NY
Reviewed July 17, 2012

My arrival at this hotel was completely by chance. I missed a connecting flight to India on Qatar Airlines and had to stay in Doha for roughly 24 hours. Qatar Airlines put me up gratis. Upon checking in, I was never told of the free wi-fi. There was nothing in the room regarding any of the services offered by the hotel, such as wi-fi, things to do, restaurant hours, etc. The room had no free water and no minibar. As far as toiletries, only a bar of soap and shampoo. Another reviewer noted something that I spotted immediately: stains on the walls. Not cool. It looks as though nobody ever tried to clean them. The sheets and towels were clean, though. The air conditioner is a bit loud, but was totally drowned out by some earplugs.

The dinner buffet was adequate. The chana (chick peas, garbanzos) in the chana masala were under cooked and crunchy, but other offerings were decent enough.

The location of the hotel is far away from the downtown business center and as near as I could tell, not near anything.

One big complaint: the concierge is clueless. I did a little research on Tripadvisor, and the highest rated thing-to-do was to visit the "Islamic Museum of Art". When I asked the concierge how far distant and how much a taxi would cost, he did not know what I was asking. He pulled out a tourist map and I had to point it out to him. How could this be? He arranged a hotel car for me which was 20 Riel (roughly $6 USD). When I got to the gates of the beautiful museum, I was informed that it was closed! So, beware. The museum is closed on Tuesdays. The driver drove me back to the hotel. Upon my return, the driver and the concierge still demanded the money! I expect a concierge to know these facts; that's what they are there for. Anyhow, I paid the money and gave them a lecture on customer service. I felt better.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Rodeler
lesmo
Reviewed June 15, 2012

Hotel in a good place, near to bank street, with a good price. Clean room with all necessary, good breakfast and excellent wifi connection, you can work without problem in the room.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed May 9, 2012

I stayed 2 nights in this hotel. Check in went smoothly. Staff are nice and helpful. Hotel room looks new and clean. Price is very good. Breakfast is standard. I had a little problem when checking out as a drink was added on my mini bar expense which I did not drink (I only drink diet sodas and water). I did not make a fuss about it as it cost 4 USD, it is slightly frustrating but there is not much I could do about it.

I tried the swimming pool on the roof terrace, the size is good to swim and the deck chairs are good if you wish to relax and sunbath in the morning (briefly as the sun is very hot).

The Aircon system is very very noisy.

The hotel is near the airport and about 10 to 15 mn from the Corniche where everything seems to be happening.

it is a good hotel if you only need a good room and nothing else and are on a tight budget.

If you are after a bit more then you are better of trying something else.

Shall go to the Corniche next time (I really enjoyed having lunch, dinner and drinks at the W Hotel).

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank lcfb
Hjoerring, Denmark
Reviewed May 1, 2012

Prior to my arrival, they arranged my transit visa. The service was prompt and efficient.

Upon my arrival, I was quite surprised that most of the hotel staff were Filipinos. It seems like I am "home" - coz I am a Filipino.

I get what I paid for in this hotel. The staff (Filipino or not) were accommodating and friendly. The room was clean. The breakfast was pretty good enough. I think this hotel was perfectly built for those who are having a transit in Doha. Overall, an impressive service.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Dubai
Reviewed April 26, 2012

I had been to a similar rate hotel recently in Doha, which was good, but this one definitely takes the prize.
Spacious single room, enormous bed (I'd say about 2m x 2m), extra friendly staff, loaded minibar (pay for what you take of course and no alcohol), outdoor pool on rooftop (don't know how it's managed in summer time) and breakfast, included in room price, which will make you wake up just a few minutes earlier to enjoy everything they have to offer. A real treat.
Only con I can think of is the AC sound. It's really noisy.
It's located in Al Najma where you can find all sorts of Southern Asian restaurants. This neighborhood is a well known commercial area and is quite busy. 15min walk to Gulf Cinema (2 screens and mostly Indian movies).

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Victor P
Singapore
Reviewed January 5, 2012

We were on transit for about 13 hours in Doha before our connecting flight to Amman. Arrived Doha at about 1 am in the wee hours and took a taxi from outside the arrival terminal. No problem getting a taxi because there was quite a queue and taxis came very quickly.

The hotel is situated not very far from the airport, but the driver got lost and we were in the taxi for a good 20 minutes or so when actually it should be a 10 mins drive only.

Finally, we arrived at the hotel. My first impression is that this hotel is situated in a rather run-down area, but the hotel is really new and nice. The receptionist was very friendly and helpful. We helped ourselves to 2 green apples they placed in a tall vase-container beside the reception as a decoration but when we asked if we could have some apples, the receptionist happily obliged. Hehe.

Our room feels cozy with the plush bed and modernist bathroom with a shower (no bathtub, and that's fine). Though we spent only about 7 hours in the hotel, we really enjoyed the stay. The complimentary internet was good too!

In the morning we had a quick breakfast which was included in the room price at the restaurant downstairs. The spread was not too bad. There were pastries, salads...it was a typical american breakfast, with some arabic dishes too like hummus.

After that we zipped by quickly to a nearby shopping mall with Spinney's supermarket in it. (I forgot the name of the mall already). We got there by a car provided by the hotel, with a driver, and we paid for the ride of course, after the husband negotiated a price.

When we checked out of the hotel at about 11.30am, we took the service of the hotel to send us to Doha airport. I remember it was 35 QAR for the trip, in a Nissan X-trail.

All in all, we are satisfied with our choice of staying in Safir Doha during our short transit in Doha.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple