“Beautiful, large, clean room with great service”

Swiss-Belhotel Doha
Ranked #80 of 136 Hotels in Doha
Reviewed June 26, 2014

I stayed at the Swiss-Belhotel in Doha as I had an 8.5 hour layover when I was travelling from Montreal, Canada to Perth, Australia, on my own with my 1 and 2 year old. The hotel staff was great, the room was massive, very clean and luxurious. The bathroom was also massive and was clean and very modern. I was given vouchers from Qatar Airlines for a meal which was supposed to be at the buffet in the restaurant but they made an exception as one of my daughters had fallen asleep and we were not going to be at the hotel for very long, and they allowed me to get room service.
My only complaint is that the driver who came to pick me up from the airport was very late and I'm not sure if he is an employee of the hotel or not.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Heather_Laflamme
There are newer reviews for Swiss-Belhotel Doha

Reviewed June 23, 2014

An average hotel with a decent price/quality. What you pay is what you get. Lets be fair, this one of the cheaper places. The rooms are impressively huge. The interior might be a bit old though. Good cable tv, pool, the wifi is average. The service given to me was good. No problems for an early check in! To me the location is good. Close to cornische, close to the islamic art museum, close to the airport and close to the souk. The new city centre is across the bay, 20/30qr by taxi. All in all its, for Qatar standards, a fair priced hotel. Good hotel for a transit or 1/2 night stay!

Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed June 13, 2014

I stayed at this hotel June 2014 for 4 weeks.

PROS
First impression was good with nice lobby, kind reception. Hotel rooms are really large. All stuff was very polite. Breakfast had a very good variety of foods and was above average. There is a gym and a small but convenient outdoor pool.

CONS
Rooms do not have a thermostat and A/C status is either On or Off. That is a BIG con, especially when you go to sleep. An electrician came to my room once, claiming that he could fix that, but I just ended up with a burned AC and I had to change room.

Internet was really slow especially at rush hours. Some days, for a couple of hours, I didn't have internet AT ALL.

10 days before the World Cup starts, I asked if it was possible that I could watch it in my room. I was willing to pay something more, since it was provided by a cable TV network. I was also willing to buy my own decoder and install it in my room if it was possible. It wasn't possible at all. Not even to watch it at the restaurant. I just had to go to other hotels EVERY NIGHT to watch world's No 1 athletic meeting.

Room Tip: Rooms on the west side have a large window-wall, overlooking Doha. They are really romantic. However...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank civil2006
Reviewed June 10, 2014

we stayed for 1 night and were celebrating our anniversary and mentioned that during booking but nothing was offered not even a single rose no welcoming drinks. our stay was weird and not very comfortable for some reasons: first of all the hotel isn't located on the main street as there is a similar building on the main street but it was apartments and not a hotel but holding the same hotel name. we entered the apartments building at night 12:30 am and were shocked .because when we arrived at noon we directly went to the hotel parking which was small and not easy to find good space for parking and then we used the elevator to get to the reception. check in and check out took less than a minute. the room was very big and nice. bathroom was excellent and it has bathtub and separate shower but there isn't a hot water only warm which didn't bother me. the bed was comfortable but there was a smell that i didn't like but got used to it later. room lights are not enough and need to be increased. the room in general is very good. the WiFi signal is not strong and the internet connection was average. i returned to the hotel at 12:30 in the morning and parked my car at the main street & entered that apartment building by mistake thinking it was the hotel but quickly noticed that the hotel isn't on the main street so i went to the hotel walking and didn't feel safe at that late time. one more thing that made our night uncomfortable is that during my stay (check in & out) i only saw 3 hotel staff & 1 guest including the receptionist. we did not try the breakfast as we didn't get good sleeping at night. hotel location isn't the best but it's still not bad. overall this hotel is good for one night & i will try other hotels for my next visit to Doha.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Murtada147
Reviewed May 12, 2014

I stayed here for one night, arrived very early morning to book-in, but was booked in fairly quickly. The first thing that struck me about my room was the size it really is massive, there are complimentary tea/coffee making facilities in room with complimentary [good quality] toiletries daily. There is a mini-bar in room [no contents] be advised NO ALCOHOL available in this Hotel. There is a mosque near hotel which can be troublesome for early morning "call to prayers". A good flat-screen TV with good selection of English / Arabic speaking channels. There is an iron/board/and hair-dryer in the room. All in all, I would stay here again.Breakfast is Buffet-style and offering a good choice of cooked, un-cooked meals.

Room Tip: Try to get a room away from facing mosque, as the "call to prayer" can be troublesome earl...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 28, 2014

What a shame. I used to stay here quite frequently a few years ago, but how things have changed.
Rooms - the decor is tired, carpets grubby. My room was aprt way through a conversion, with an unfinished kitchen area.
Dining - breakfast buffet is about 50% of the previous size and selection. Evening - the buffet seems to be aimed at the Qatar Airways "delayed" passengers who are passing through. Again, limited choice.
Bar - gone. Now, I don't mind missing out on my glass of wine for a few days, but the lounge area has been converted to some sort of meeting room, which was always in darkness. Now there is nowhere to sit and relax with a coffee, or get a quick snack during the day. The main dining room isn't very welcoming.
Staff - do their best but seem disenchanted.

It's as if the owners have taken a deliberate move down-market and no longer care. I'm surprised that the franchise owners are allowing this policy, it doesn't act as a good advertisement for the rest of the group.

Sad to say, I won't stay again. There are many better hotels in this price bracket.

Room Tip: If you value your sleep, ask for the side away from the mosque.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank malcognito
Reviewed April 9, 2014

I stayed here for a week for business and overall the hotel was fine. The rooms were massive, which is always a plus when you want to come home and relax. When I say massive, I mean massive. My room was a single and it felt like an apartment. My colleagues had even bigger rooms that were indeed like apartments, with hallways and multiple rooms. That said, there's pretty much nothing in the rooms. Just a bed and a couch. With a room that big it's hard for it not to appear sparse.

The breakfast was nice enough for me, vegetarian options aplenty, with a clean setup and plenty of natural light. Lots of hummus and middle eastern foods, plenty of fresh salad and fresh vegetables. Very nice. Wifi worked fine when I was there.

There were problems however. When we were there, half of our group didn't have hot water for a week and there was no way to really fix this problem. We were given a room that our group could "share" which had hot water, so we could all go in there and shower, but of course this is hardly ideal.

The location was fine, but as we were working far away near the conference center, it didn't really matter that we were central in the city, though this did provide nice access to the souk.

I don't think a business traveler would be disappointed staying here, but just check to make sure you have hot water.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business