“Good hotel- but wifi not great”

Swiss-Belhotel Doha
Ranked #66 of 131 Hotels in Doha
Dublin, Ireland
“Good hotel- but wifi not great”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2012

I am writing this review from the Swiss-Belhotel Doha- we are currently staying here for a few weeks while we are waiting on our Qatari residency visa's to come through.

First of all, on a positive note- the rooms is exceptionally large, which is great given that we are here for an extended length of time and unlike a normal 'holiday', we are spending a considerable amount of time in the room.

The staff, buying large are very friendly and helpful.

I felt compelled to write this review as I have been having significant issues with the wifi in this hotel. As a couple who are working a lot from the hotel during our time here, good internet is very important to us.

Between the wifi cutting out sporadically when trying to send work emails, or cutting out while trying to stay in touch with friends and family on Skype, I am finding the whole thing very frustrating.

The front desk dont appear to be able to do anything about it, however they did say 'we have trouble with Apple products connecting to the internet here'. I can assure you that I gave up trying to get online via my iphone and ipad weeks ago, however my Toshiba laptop still wont connect properly/consistently.

I've tried various locations around the hotel (our room just wont work at all- 8th floor) I've tried the reception area, the lobby, outside the bar, the only place it seems to work well is the business centre, which makes sense, however any time I go down there the door to the boardroom seems to be wide open with people inside it (the boardroom & business centre are connected) Needless to say chatting on Skype with a whole load of delegates looking at you isnt ideal. Perhaps the issue could be solved by just closing the door.

I think it's important that people are aware of this problem, particularly if like us, you are heavily reliant on internet for the duration of your stay and would like to be able to get online freely in the comfort of your own room.

Room Tip: Request a room as far away from the mosque as possible, and also ask if they have rooms that have st...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2012

We stay at the Swiss bel as a stopover. It was very clean and the room was very large. We chose the hotel as it was a very good price and i felt we got what we paid for. The only bad point was the pool area. It is located between two large buildings which block the sun out and channel the wind which can make it feel quite cold at times.

It was fine for a stopover but i wouldn’t want to spend a long time at the hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Barcelona, Spain
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2012

I stayed here for 2 nights.
If you are looking for a 5 star hotel this is not your best choice in Doha (at most a 4 start). The rooms are not very spacious. The restaurant is not well managed as well as the rest of the facilities.
I cannot recommend it.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Spain
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2012

The hotel is a 5 min walk from the souq waquif and the staff friendly. My room was huge and the aircon worked a treat. The breakfast was superb with a good choice and the buffet at night well worth the money . Only downside were the lifts which seemed to have a mind of thier own, but all in all quite good.

• Stayed June 2012
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2012

A third or fourth visit to the Swiss-Belhotel in Doha and still impressed. The public areas are not as grand or spacious as some of the others in the region but are pleasant and functional and the staff working in these areas are attentive, friendly and helpful. The rooms make up for the entrance areas in terms of size. They are among the largest I have stayed in, in a hotel of the Swiss Belhotel's rating, they are spacious, well equipped and modern, with an equally impressive en-suit which is liberally stocked with toiletries and boasts fluffy,adult sized towels. Restaurant food is good without being spectacular and again the staff deserve a quick mention.
I mentioned at reception that the TV in me room had a very poor picture. 10 minutes later, there was a pleasant little man flicking my channels and telling me that the TV was faulty and that they would replace the set, which they did about 10 minutes later.

Downsides? The pool gets about 5 minutes direct sun a day, well maybe a bit more than that but you get my drift! and it acts as a bit of a wind tunnel if it's a bit breezy out. The plumbing is a bit on the noisy side with the sounds of running water and flushing toilets competing with the mussac in the hallway to be the main background entertainment. I wise investment for the hotel might be coat-hangers - I got 1 in the otherwise good-sized wardrobes.

$64,000 question - would I use the hotel again - I just did and would recommend it to others.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Manama, Bahrain
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2012

i visited the hotel during the friendly football match Brazil vs Argintina so Doha was full, the room we booked was for so the upgraded us to delux room which was very good for us. location and free parking is positive thing.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Dhahran
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2012

I had a favorable review of this hotel 2 yrs ago and that's why I recommended this hotel to my friends, for us to stay in this past weekend! It was hard to stop in front of the hotel because of all the vehicles parked every which way possible and no hotel door man to direct or help to guide us. The room we got looked ready for a renovation - stains on the furniture and carpet - sections of the carpet in our room and in the hallway are bunching off the floor! There was no hangers in the closet - we asked for some and we had to call twice before we got them. We needed a plug adaptor and after calling twice again, we got the wrong type! Ac was working well in our room but not in our friends room, and we heard other guests complaining about the same! Elevators were slow and heard other guests complaining about the same for a few days running! With the number of new and better accomodations sprouting in Doha, I would suggest looking at those ones first!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Mtc1961

Travelers are raving about these Doha hotels