“good hotel for layover”
Review of La Villa Hotel

La Villa Hotel
Ranked #123 of 140 Hotels in Doha
Reviewed April 8, 2013

we had a long layover in DIA and decided to sleep at a hotel. La Villa was close and cheap and was very suitable. staff was friendly and rate included breakfast. for the money it was a good choice. location is excellent and close to airport.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank beesker

Reviewed March 28, 2013

I had to book a hotel in Doha because my next flight was in the morning and I had plenty of time to sleep somewhere.
I chose this hotel because it was the cheapest one among the options and also because I saw that it was close to the airport.
I did not ask for a shuttle to pick me up, eventhough I sent emails to the hotel to try to get more information and no one ever replied to my message.
When you go out from the airport you have the impression that you are the only woman travelling or going outside the airport, which is a very unpleasant feeling.
Once I went out (it was midnight time) I could not find taxis, only men taking limousines. I started walking around trying to find a taxi but I couldn 't find anything. All of a sudden a man approaches me telling me if I need a taxi. At first I did not answer and tried to keep on looking, once I realized that there were no taxis I started listenning to him. He was nice enough, he probably saw that I was uncomfortable with this whole situation and tried to calm me telling me he worked for a private taxi company. I accepted the ride to the hotel, which was 50 QAR and after 10 mins or even less I arrived at the hotel. Luckily he told me if I wanted him to come back pick me up in the morning which I accepted!

The hotel reception is good, ths staff is there to carry your luggage in the room and explain a bit about the facilities.
There is not a lot to do in the room, the room is simple: one big bed, a mini fridge but no water is found. The shower is pretty basic, or I would say terrible!
The towels weren't too clean but I did not complain . There is hot water and shampoo/bath lotion. The bed sheets aren't very clean , which made me feel very uncomfortable. There are lots of plugs in case you need to charge something and AC.
It is not a great hotel and I don't think I would come back for a stop over, but I guess you can survive!

I had to withdraw money in the morning and asked where was the nearest ATM, the staff told me to go down the road. I think I walked for 2 mins then came back to the hotel. As a woman it is very uncomfortable to walk. There are only men, you kinda feel that you do not fit there. Plus the area isn't nice at all. it's messy, dusty I was afraid to get lost because of the narrow streets.
I arranged with the taxi driver to give what I had -30 QAR- because I had nothing else. Luckily he accepted! I think taxis could be cheaper but my situation was very special so I decided to take this private taxi.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank ArcyJasmine
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Was transiting through Doha and needed a day room.

The location is excellent, with the Souq Waqif a 5 minute walk away theres plenty to see and taste. Corniche view nearby of the high-rises is good too.
The quality of the room is pretty terrible though: Cheap furniture, poorly designed shower, and small room. Everything looks old and used, and the shower was starting to turn black in the corners.
Breakfast included but very bland and dry. Staff was accommodating but not overly friendly. Wifi in lobby, but poor connectivity in the room.

But for the price we paid and the fact that we only used it for a nap and a shower it was fine. Would NOT recommend staying here more than one night...

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Frederic S
Reviewed March 11, 2013

First I thought the hotel was loctaed far from the corniche and sky scrapers but in the evening I realized the location is after all nice since there is a cosy and cool souk (bazaar) nearby. Recommended!

Staff was friendly. Standard of the room is not the highest but the price was good. The view from the window was superb but the window extremely dirty :-)

All in all I am happy with my visit here.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank tretjak
Reviewed March 1, 2013

I booked and prepaid this hotel through Agoda.com and received a confirmation. When I arrived in Doha Airport at 1900 hours in the evening I had ordered a shuttle to pick me up. There was no-one to receive me. I tried calling for ages the numbers provided to me on the booking confirmation, but nobody answered my emails. Unfamiliar with Doha, and female, I was wary of moving outside to grab a taxi in an unknown Middle Eastern country. I called a contact back home to try make a contact with the hotel - my contact tried several email addresses, as well as calling phone numbers, but no response. During this incident, after a long travel, I got distracted and lost my briefcase with an expensive Apple-laptop in it - obviously somebody had taken it away, either security or somebody else with maybe precure intentions. I was panicking and called my contact back home to book me into a decent hotel who would guarantee a pickup over the phone. My briefcase was eventually retrieved, but I must have spent a fortune in roaming phone calls that evening, not to say a far more, but secure hotel with the minimum of service that one could expect when arriving from abroad to a foreign country that one does not know at all.

Room Tip: Stay away from this hotel
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Gösta S
Reviewed January 1, 2013

We stayed only for one day in this hotel since we were leaving for the airport at midnight. We had spent the rest of our holiday in a four star hotel in the city but when we arrived here, we didn't notice much difference between the two establishments and we regretted that we hadn't saved ourselves another 40 euro a night. This hotel is clean and basic. The beds are comfortable. The staff are amiable enough. Internet difficult to access in rooms. It would have been nice if the hotel had offered us something since we weren't actually staying a full night - free trip to airport, for example.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Arseachran
Reviewed October 3, 2012

We stayed at La Villa Hotel during an overnight stop-over in Doha. The staff were very friendly and willing to assist. Rooms were clean and had everything we needed - great value for the price. Great location for walking to Souq Waqif. Our taxi driver initially took us to La Villa Palace instead so I would recommend taking the advice in previous posts and asking for the La Villa near the Kings Gate Hotel.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple