“Nice location/ slow service”

Retaj Al Rayyan Hotel
Ranked #41 of 134 Hotels in Doha
Denver
“Nice location/ slow service”
Reviewed June 10, 2012

I stayed there for five nights. The front desk is disasters, They can't deliver any promises.
The food OK. The place needs remodeling & major training for staff.

Room Tip: Good place for only Arabic speaking guests!!!!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Spring Lake, Michigan
Reviewed June 7, 2012

Stay away unless you want to find out you have a bill a year later after staying there! I lived there for 9 months as a long term resident from September 2010 and checked out in July 2011 after 2 weeks of trying to rectify with their book keeping to see if I was paid in full. Then this April 2012, they told me, while in a meeting there for work, that I owe for a full month's rent from the previous year. I had not heard anything prior to this time. I no longer had my receipts to prove otherwise, so I had to pay them over a $1,000!

The hotel has many dedicated staff who work very hard to make guests comfortable, but the hotel manager, Mr. Mustafa, acts and looks like Darth Vader! So beware!

I have never had to write a bad review before. Besides, they had promised us a sea view suite and never gave it my friend and I. They prefer men over women clients. It's 5 star but no alcohol. Cigarette smoking is widespread in the rooms. Basically, it's a hotel for regional Gulf people, sport teams, and transit airport travelers.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea room on a high floor. Lower floors are noisy and people smoke. Children are seen runni...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Europe
Reviewed June 5, 2012

Justback from a few days at the Retaj. Much improved on my last report from a few years ago. Junior staff friendly, place clean, beds comfortable. They seem to target sports teams and are a hotel used by Qatar air for transit passengers, so hotel can be very busy with queues occasionally for breakfast, Nowhere in lobby for quiet coffee or business meets, very busy and noisy lobby...( why they don't tell group organizers to use headphones with radios. I don't know). Lots of middle managers standing around in groups, but don't seem to ask guests for views. Restaurant is usually a few minutes late opening and live food station and sushi usually arrives some time after opening. As on my previous trip an unexpected item was on my bill, this time a limousine, but was removed without question when challenged. Food largely good and there is now a healthy eating salad bar which is nice. Also. Hotel staff will now call an ordinary taxi. Not just hotel car. So another mpprovement. Wifi in room welcome, but is soow, but still 30 riyal a day........Internet should now be free it is essential for business.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Sweden
Reviewed May 31, 2012

It was our first trip to Qatar and we had a very pleasant stay.
The hotel is located in the Diplomatic Area within walking distance to the City Centre Mall.
Good breakfast buffé.
This is not the fanciest hotel in the neighbourhood but very good if you not are looking for a resort style hotel. This is more businesslike.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Dubai
Reviewed April 25, 2012

Comfy bed, Clean room?, Shaving Kit? I have recently joined a new company based in Dubai and I was booked a few nights stay at this hotel for a conference. After a long day in the office then came the fight, all I wanted was my bed at the other end and not to enter into conversation or small talk.

However upon arrival I was greeted by an extremely helpful member of staff called Amr who made me feel like I was a member of his family. He could obviously see that I was a bit worse for wear and checked me in, with the swiftness of a gazelle and even gave me a sea view without asking nothing was too much trouble!

This level of service needs to be commended. The rooms were / are very clean and I have subsequently been back to stay of the strength of my first visit. I have advised my company to agree a corporate rate as when you’re away from home; you would like all the comforts of home and service with a smile this hotel has all that required in abundance.

During my second visit I was lucky enough to be introduced to Essam Ragheb Kortam (Front Office Manager) and Ahmed Mokhtar (Assistant Front Office Manager) both of these chaps have been awfully decent to me during my stay, and have gone above and beyond to make me feel welcome. I will not only return for work but will bring my family also.

This hotel is a must if you are coming to Doha.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 6, 2012

Staff is always nice. They try hard to please but this is not enough. Its like you have good software but poor hardware.

Main pro: good location for business and always smiley staff (although most dont speak good english)

Two main Cons:
--Rooms have near zero noise insulation. Walls and connecting doors are wafer thin for sound
--Restaurant food is below average

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
San Jose, California
Reviewed March 25, 2012

This hotel aspires to be among the other top hotels in Doha (I visited a couple of others), but it falls short. I stayed for two nights, put up by my hosts in Doha. The interior is poorly lit all around and a little shabby. Hotel staff offer greetings in abundance but aren't really that helpful. My room was very cold due to a blowing A/C that would not respond to the in-room thermostat. Maintenance person came in a surly mood and couldn't fix anything -- finally advised me to turn it off (!). Found a dead roach in the room but I think (hope) this was an anomaly -- rooms are generally clean. The gym/sauna were not bad, though the treadmills were relatively poor quality -- fancy touchscreens that don't work. The location is fine, close to several other hotels in the diplomatic part of town. Overall disappointed.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business