“Friendly and good location”

Retaj Al Rayyan Hotel
Ranked #45 of 140 Hotels in Doha
Reviewed January 27, 2012

The Retaj is an Islamic hotel, not part of an international chain, so is dry. It is a great place though with friendly, helpful staff (although you shouldn't expect their urgency time frames to match yours!!). Rooms are spacious and comfortable with cable TV with a good range of international channels including Sky News which makes a change from Al-Jazeera. Free wi-fi in lobby areas but not free in room (although very reasonably priced). Minibars in rooms with range of soft drinks and snacks. Restaurant is good, serving buffet style meals with wide range of choice. Breakfast at weekends (Friday / Saturday) can be very hectic so best to get there early.

Gym is okay, well equipped with helpful trainers. Pool is too small though, and is really just a leisure pool no good for exercise as such.

Location is good. Within walking distance of City Centre Mall / cinema, Corniche and (if you are keen and it is cooler) Katara Village. Not many cabs pas the hotel but there is a big rank at the Mall.

Room Tip: Upper floors give best views.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business

Reviewed January 19, 2012

Already sent in my review that they would not assist with first aid. TripAdvisor not willing to display the truth

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Verona S
Reviewed January 13, 2012

We stayed here for 2 days. Our room was on the 16th floor. The beds were nice and good quality and there was an amazing view on the sea. The staff was helpfull although at the first night we got unexpected visitors. There was 3 am when I woke up that someone tries to come into our room with the keycard. While I jumped out of bed and stepped towards the door the a hotel employee opend the door and stepped into the room. There was 2 or 3 ladies with him fully covered with traditional burka. I was shouting to the employee and ladies were screaming to see me nearly naked (I wore an underwear). 15 minutes later an other concierge or someone else knocked on my door and wanted to lodge there a spare bed. I sent him to the hell. Someone screwed up something at the front desk...
Independently from this the hotel is great, the breakfast was fantastic. The hotel and room was spotless.
My other concern was that I asked the concierge on the second day to help me renting a car. Instead of calling a car rental company he called the hotel limusine service and pushed me to take their service. I did not want to hire them for 100 riyal / hour when I could get a car for the same amount per day. Finaly when I was fed up with them I rather grabbed a taxi on the street and went around in Doha.
Next morning we settled our bills without problem.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 4, 2012

We stayed here for a layover on a Qatar Airlines flight. The hotel has a van to and from the airport that leaves every 30 minutes. Check in was smooth and they provided a tasty buffet dinner when we arrived.

Our room was a standard hotel room with standard amenities. It was clean. In the morning we left early - well before the restaurant was open - but they gave us tea and snacks in the lobby which I thought was very considerate. There was free internet in the lobby.

Overall we had a good experience with this hotel and in Qatar in general.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed January 3, 2012

Spent one night at 31st of December 2011 at this hotel situated 10 minutes by bus/car from the Airport.
The hotel itself looks good at a first impression, but the staff seemed a bit less service-minded.
While I was out of the room for 3 hours they had managed to book another person into my room, and he of course had gone to bed already, the clock was 1 am in the morning and i wanted to sleep.
I already had my things in my room and used the shower, fortunately I'd locked my valuables in the safe.
It took some time before the staff were helpful and gave the man another rom, while I got mine. They did'nt say sorry, or said they would offer me another room.
So I packed my stuff went down to the reception and said that I should get another room or I could just sleep at the airport. So they gave me a suite for free the last three hours of my sleep.
This might have been a one-time incident, but the staff that evening did not seem to care or to be very carefull to their customers.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Martin D
Reviewed December 30, 2011

Booking with Qatar airways for our stopover in Doha we had no idea what hotel we would get, and this was an amazing experience! Being economy class we were not expecting such luxury so were very surprised to get a complete suite.
As it was Qatar day we were extremely late getting to the hotel, because every man in the country seemed to be out driving around in huge 4 by 4s, with flags waving etc.How refreshing to see them all having so much fun without a drop of alcohol.
The hotel had kept dinner for us until about 1am, and they allowed us to keep the room until our flight left the following day, about 6pm.
The bed was supremely comfortable, TV had so many channels lots in English. We had a complete kitchen in our suite, tea and coffee making was great. Breakfast and lunch were an enormous buffet with so much choice. Air-con very efficient and the furniture was really smart and comfortable. All in all a great stopover.

Room Tip: Our suite was a corner room with a good view of the sea
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank janetwest
Reviewed December 23, 2011

on of the good thing of the hotel is the location and helpful staff, also the room is quite good and the bathroom also good.
i like also the breakfast because it free when i booked via booking.com

the worst thing i had when i was at the hotel is car parking because the half of parking was belong to ministry of exterior

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends