“Great rooms, terrible pool”

W Doha Hotel & Residences
Ranked #1 of 135 Hotels in Doha
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Great rooms, terrible pool”
Reviewed April 6, 2013

The W Hotel has great design and common areas. It also has 2 Jean George restaurants both of with are outstanding (Market and Spice Market). On Friday is brunch day with food stations in Spice Market. Very good. The only downside of this hotel is that it has a tiny swimming pool and only 8 or 10 tanning beds! Very strange and a huge mistake in design in my opinion. On the plus side, there is a Bliss Spa.

Room Tip: Some construction in the area woke me up daily. Ask for a room n the quiet side.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
WDoha, Manager at W Doha Hotel & Residences, responded to this review, April 14, 2013
Dear HaniAlma,

Thank you for the review, we were delighted to hear that you enjoyed yourself with us.

In regards to your feedback regarding our Pool Area, we are actually making some changes this summer, so we look forward to hearing your thoughts once the changes are made.

We look forward to seeing you again.

Daniel Kingston
Director of Rooms

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (364)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Vestby, Norway
Reviewed April 6, 2013

Well what can I say, First of all I seldom take the time to write any kind of hotel review unless I feel one is really needed to either warn people to steer clear or, in this case, to praise an establishment for making our stay one of the most fantastic experiences a guest can have. I want to scream from the rooftops to all uncertain but potential new guests that it is in their best interest to stay at W Hotel Doha. We are in the travel business and are heavy travellers, circling the globe on average 120 days of the year so trust me, my partner and I have been around.
We were guests for three nights and from the moment the doorman greeted us from our taxi we knew we had chosen a winner. The staff at W Doha really went out of their way to make us feel welcome and at home and did their best to ensure we were well looked after.
Aside from the awe-inspiring design, colour scheme, attention to detail, (like fresh fruit-infused water on the counters throughout the lobby), the real bonus was being greeted by smiles from the delightful staff.
Our room was pretty spectacular as well with every possible amenity waiting for us and everything in the room worked, yes something as simple as that but trust me so many hotels get that wrong! No burnt out lightbulbs for example; plumbing that had efficient pressure; curtains that kept out the hot desert sun and a fully stocked mini bar that had a selection of things people actually wanted to eat!
We, without a doubt, made a good decision by choosing to eat at the hotel. Spice Market Restaurant is Asian food that sends the taste buds into orbit with fresh explosions of flavour - the tasting menu is the way to go in order to sample as many culinary delights as possible. Market Restaurant is another winner with fresh tasty food, a wide variety of choices served by the most attentive staff.
We used the concierge to book us a few activities around the city and they went out of their way to help us. All the details were taken care of and within minutes I received a confirmation on my mobile that our activity was booked. Friendly and unbelievably efficient.
A stellar performance from every one of the staff and our congratulations and hats off to you all on a job well done. The W Doha is without a doubt truly one of the great hotels of the world. FANTASTIC!

Room Tip: Make sure you book a non-smoking room if you are not a smoker. Smoking unfortunately is still permit...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank traveljeffOslo
WDoha, General Manager at W Doha Hotel & Residences, responded to this review, April 13, 2013
Hello traveljeffOslo,

Thank you for the great review, we were certainly very pleased to be one of the positive reasons for you to write a review and not fall in the other category.

I was delighted to hear that the team made the difference during your stay, we place very high standards on the level of service that we offer, and it was very satisfying to hear that we met your expectations.

Thank you again for your time to provide us with your feedback, and I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back on your next visit to Doha.

Warm regards,

Safak Guvenc
Doha, Qatar
Reviewed April 4, 2013

Mark the Business center service attendant is well equipped with computer skill, always help me
with emergency business work, makes me feel at home at W Doha,
whatever whenever is truly happening at W business center for my need.
I love it..!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
E-insider, E-Insider at W Doha Hotel & Residences, responded to this review, April 6, 2013
Hello Miaabood,

Thank you for your kind words about W Doha and our business centre "WIRED" in particular. We'll be sure to pass on your comments to Mark!

Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed April 3, 2013

This hotel is extremely trendy with well appointed rooms but the location is a major issue as it is opposite a 24 hour construction site and despite asking the check in staff for a quiet room, they put you in a room opposite the construction site, presumably assuming you are deaf. Then the next issue is that the hotel public areas are all smoking, they allow smokers to stand next to the sushi bar where fresh food is prepared. They can offer a Miichelin star "smoked salmon" of a different smoked variety. The excuse is that it is a local law. However, there is no smoking at breakfast so maybe the law does not apply at breakfast. Non smoking rooms are used by smokers and the hotel does not fine them sufficiently to stop the bad behaviour. Even the gym smells of smoke as it is near the club/bar. Not a hotel recommnended for anyone who wants to rest at night, be on form for work during the day, eat healthy food in a congenial atmosphere. The staff are friendly but not client driven.

Room Tip: High up and not opposite the construction site. Check the room before you take it.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank BrianT859
E-insider, E-Insider at W Doha Hotel & Residences, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Hello BrianT859,

We are very sorry that your experience with us was not up to your expectations.

This is certainly not the level of service to which we pride ourselves.

I would you to have the opportunity to discuss your feedback in more detail. Feel free to reach out to me on E-Insider.wdoha@whotels.com

I hope we can be in touch soon!

Vienna, Austria
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Excellent located Hotel with perfect Service.
very stylish, trendy.
Lots of expats on weekends at the bar.
DJs are present and have theme nights.
Take rooms in higher levels as there could be some noise from the bar/disco

Room Tip: all rooms are very good
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Hello gerhard r,

Thanks for you great comments about W Doha! We appreciate that you have taken the time to write this review!

Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 2, 2013 via mobile

This was my first time at the W in Doha - I usually stay near the airport but because I have been taken for dinner at the Spice Market restaurant at this hotel several times and loved it, I decided to give it a go.
I really liked the hotel from check-in to check-out. Rooms are large and bed and bedding very comfortable. Bathrooms are superb with excellent shower. As previously mentioned, the Spice Market is one of my favourites anywhere - It's simply fabulous with a beautifully diverse menu.
If you go to Doha, stay here but................(Note to General Manager: Please sort out the TV system. It takes forever to come on and the remote is unresponsive. I was messing with it for nearly 15 mins this morning and could not get past the menu page! To may just be the one in my room to be fair - 1307)

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank timchambola
Hello timchambola,

Thanks for the lovely review about our hotel. We're glad you had a good time with us!

I'm very sorry about the TV in your room. We are currently looking to source a new system, so we are sure you won't experience these problems anymore in the near future.

We hope to welcome you with us again soon!

Dubai
Reviewed April 1, 2013

I had never stayed in a W Hotel before so wasn't quite sure what to expect although I'd been told it would be good.....it was AMAZING!! All the staff we very welcoming and eager to oblige my every need.The hotel and room decor was very funky and I even shared some of the photos of my room on Facebook. My stay was due to me running a business event on-site and everything was perfect with no problems whatsoever. I would highly W Doha to anyone considering staying there. I willl be back.....

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Hello Jane T,

Thank you for you very kind words about W Doha! We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and that we were worthy of a space on you Facebook timeline!

We hope to welcome you with us again soon!