“goes way back”

Cuisines: Lebanese
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed March 4, 2012

a decade ago, this place was unheard of outside its neighborhood. and it was good, still is cheap, and the guy who works there is a lovely man. however, like any other little place in beirut, all it took was for a bunch of foreign journalists to discover it and now it's full of visitors and the locals have disappeared. i know i have. the quality has been compromised and it's now open for lunch AND dinner, something we thought would never happen.

1  Thank BiaFiBeirut
There are newer reviews for Le Chef

Reviewed February 24, 2012

Look sometimes it's worth taking a chance with Russian Roulette.

The place was old and a visit to the open toilet just up the famous marble stairs provides a view of the kitchen. Please do it AFTER eating.

There is more Fawlty than Bassil about the proprietor but he is almost as amusing as he is annoying.

I had a lamb Kebab and the Lentil Soup followed by an excellent Creme Caramel.

My companion had the " King of Chicken" which consisted of boiled chook with a bowl of pureed spinach ( mallow ?) and some onion and vinegar to pour over it.

It was all delicious and I survived, My mate was not so lucky. ( avoid the King ?)

Reviewed February 21, 2012

This is a small old restuarant in Gemayze that serves traditional lebanese food in home cooked style.

Reviewed February 5, 2012

Sad to read the negative reviews. My own experience: ate there 5 times in 4 days... . I am Lebanese, living abroad for 40 years, and the food tasted as good as the food in my memories. Four of us, myself, my British wife and two Italian ladies, enjoyed every single bite. We did not simply order the "plat du jour" , but asked for a variety of different plates each of the five times. Tasty, good, and cheap compared to other places we visited in and out of Beirut.
The restaurant has not changed for ages - I ate there in the late '60s when I was a student, and in the early '80s during a visit.
Cleanliness is what you would expect in a cheap workers restaurant - we knew that before going there.

1  Thank JGFRome_Italy
Reviewed January 12, 2012

I mean, it is kind of funky, but it stinks like grease, the food is average and the service is poor. Always full of tourists because it is in the Lonely Planet

1  Thank mariaortiz