“Again?.. Would think twice..”
Review of Markazia Suites

Markazia Suites
Ranked #30 of 117 Hotels in Beirut
Istanbul, Turkey
“Again?.. Would think twice..”
Reviewed August 1, 2012

I spent a week at this hotel for business reasons and when I check out, I asked myself, I paid that amount of money for what.. Internet connection is not included to the high price. The room was big but ordinary. They even did not renew the "complimentary" water. The location is perfect. I cannot say anything about that. You can easily walk to the downtown to have something to eat or drink in the night and that's all. I would like add as last that it would be good if I could see smiling faces around when I ask something..

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 6, 2012

This place is quite expensive than the value it offers.

No gym. No swimming pool. Rooms are ordinary, services very basic compared to the extravagent price you pay. You have to pay at least $20 per day extra, over room rent, if you dare using internet.

Except a bald headed guy in the counter, called, I reckon, Antoine, you would barely see anyone else smiling at you if asked for any help. Everybody is always so serious faced! I won't blame this poor fellows though, may be it's because of lack of training from the top.

Only good thing about it was the food in downstairs restaurant followed by satisfactory room service.

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank VirgoBoy
mnaaman, Manager at Markazia Suites, responded to this review, August 1, 2012
Dear Mr. VirgoBoy,

Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel. We take all our guests comments very seriously and strive to improve ourselves based on your feedback.

We do not have a pool or gym and we do not advertise having them either. We are a Suites Hotel based in the heart of Downtown Beirut, and you can find whatever you need within walking distance from our Hotel.

As for the Friendliness of our staff, you are absolutely right and measures have been taken to ensure that all staff is smiling and friendly at all times.

I am happy to inform you that in 2013 we are uprgrading our internet service and it will be provided free of charge to all our guests.

We are happy to hear that you liked the food in our Restaurant and Room service.

We appreciate your feedback and look forward to welcome you again soon.

Michelle Naaman
Director of Marketing & Communications
Baku
Reviewed March 14, 2012

I stayed in this hotel few times with minimum of three nights and a max of two weeks as a single father with two kids. the friendly nature of staff, the prompt response, the location, the spacious rooms are all great, meanwhile, you would expect much more for the price such as:
1- Other cheaper hotels in Beirut have contracts with gymnasium facilities where they have no gymnasium in building, Markazia didn't consider such though more expensive than those have such service.
2- internet connection is slow and keeps interrupting for advertisement of the hotel network, I'm already staying in the hotel, I need no adverts to disconnect me while having meetings with my team overseas or having a net conference etc--, which makes it some times very disappointing and embarrassing if you have to stay more than 15 minutes online, and even more if your meeting is for an hour or so.
3- You would expect to find plates, knives, forks, mugs cups, microwave, etc-- ready in the room, you don't have to ask for them and then provided just as minimal, normally they get you everything in minutes should you ask for it, but sometimes it doesn't feel good to keep asking.

on the other hand, the hotel is right next to shopping, absolute amazing location, if you need to have your own kitchen filled from the supermarket, write a list of all your needs, you will have it in seconds, you can't get that anywhere, the excellence of the team and the location and spacious rooms are what makes me and my kids always return there.

The date I entered in the review is not accurate, As I mentioned this is a several visits review, and I will update it after my next visit in April 2012.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
mnaaman, Manager at Markazia Suites, responded to this review, March 15, 2012
Dear Mr. Waleed A,

Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel. We appreciate all of our guests' feedback and take into consideration all comments to improve ourselves and increase our guests' satisfaction.

Regarding the gym, the hotel had an agreement with a gym in the past, but since very few of our guests were using it, we discontinued the agreement. However, we would like to inform you that there is a plan for a gym to open in the near future within walking distance of Markazia Monroe Suites and we will have an agreement with them once they are open.

As for the slow Internet connection, unfortunately this is a problem in Lebanon and out of our hands. However, recently the internet connection in all of Lebanon has improved and is now faster (compared to what it was before, not compared to Europe or the US).

Regarding the plates and cutlery, if you include this request in your suite reservation, you will find everything in your suite upon arrival. You can also request that this be done every time you come to the Hotel, at which point this will be done automatically.

I would like to point out that you shouldn't feel bad to keep asking, this is our job and we are here to make your stay an enjoyable one, so please feel free to ask for anything you need.

I would also like to take this opportunity to thank you for the positive feedback about our staff and service and I'm happy to see that you like the Hotel's location and spacious suites.

We are always happy to welcome you to your home away from home and look forward to your next visit in April.

Michelle Naaman
Suffolk, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 23, 2012

I stayed for a week in the hotel while in Beirut for business reasons. The room I had was large, with a settee and armchair, and the bed comfortable, and other facilities were OK. The hotel's position is excellent for getting to downtown Beirut. There were, however, a few tatty edges and elements of service that I would expect from a good hotel were mssing. For example, water glasses were not cleaned or replaced each day - this is not really important but indicates to me a lack of attention to detail. The breakfast provided - a buffet - was OK, if unexciting, but on several mornings I had to ask for basic items (coffee, orange juice etc) that had run out to be replaced. Ideally the staff would have been monitoring this and replaced them proactively. The front desk was very efficient - when I complained that there werre only five hangars provided in my room's wardrobes, they provided an armful of new hangars within minutes. Mind you, perhaps they should have been there in the first place!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
mnaaman, Manager at Markazia Suites, responded to this review, February 21, 2012
Dear Westminister2,

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate our guests' comments in order to improve ourselves.
We are happy to hear that you were comfortable in your room and that you enjoyed your stay.

Regarding the breakfast, you are absolutely right, the staff should have been monitoring and filling up any missing items. We will make sure that the staff is taking care of this.

We are also happy to hear that the Front Office staff was very efficient. It is our pleasure to ensure a comfortable and enjoyable stay for all of our guests.

We hope to welcome you again soon, to your hotel, your home away from home.
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed December 12, 2011

A great location and the lobby area has something of an air of faded grandeur about it...charming in its own way. Rooms are rather tired and basic. The rooms we had were definitely not of the calibre that the website implies and the bathrooms were beyond basic. Service was competent but nothing special. Overall, not great value for money.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Dear Ds Bali,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate your comments. We would like to inform you that we are planning the renovation of our Junior Suites (including their bathrooms) this year.

Our bigger units, the 1 bedroom, 2 bedroom and 3 bedroom Suites have already been renovated last year.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again soon.
Epsom, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 16, 2011

We stayed here to attend a wedding in the centre of Beirut. It is not a cheap option (there are very few of those in Beirut) but we were pleased with our room. We were upgraded to a suite with a kitchenette. Rather disappointingly the kitchenette contained no equipment whatsoever (not even plates), so if you are planning to stay in a suite, you would need to bring everything with you. A microwave, fridge and hotplates were provided. The bed was comfortable, the staff were friendly and there was an on site restaurant, which we didn't use as the hotel is just a few minutes walk from the main square with numerous choices of restaurants.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank shamat
mnaaman, Manager at Markazia Suites, responded to this review, July 27, 2011
Thank you for your feedback, we are always happy to hear from our guests.

Plates, forks, knives, and everything else is available from room service upon request from our guests.

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and look forward to welcome you again soon.
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed May 16, 2011

This is a high quality hotel with great room and extremely helpful and friendly staff, preferably for business trips as it is located in the downtown business area, quite far away from the buzzing Hamra district.

Some shortcomings:
- Overpriced and inflexible internet services (wifi).
- No gym or swimming pool.
- The breakfast buffet could have included more choices.

Otherwise it was a great hotel!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Heidi3030
mnaaman, Manager at Markazia Suites, responded to this review, May 17, 2011
On behalf of the Management and the Markazia Monroe Suites Team, we thank you for your feedback. We have reviewed your points and will be taking into consideration your comments to further enhance our guest satisfaction.

It is true, Hamra is a 5 minute drive away from the Hotel. During your next visit with us, please note that Gemmayze nightlife is only a 5 minute walk waway from the hotel and the shopping and restaurants in the downtown area are only a 2 minute walk away. Please feel free to ask any of our Front Office Team for suggested places to go or any additional guidance you may need.

We look forward to welcome you again soon.