“A 'must' for all patrons of good food, good atmosphere and good service”
Review of Al Mandaloun Cafe

Al Mandaloun Cafe
Ranked #41 of 826 Restaurants in Beirut
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Al Mandaloun Cafe is a cafe, a restaurant, a patisserie, a bakery, and a boutique, all at once. In addition to the impressive selection of Sandwiches, Croques, Pizzas and Quiches,the Cafe has tasty specials every day, concocted by our international Chefs. Early Mornings the Salad Bar turns into a Breakfast Bar, making al Mandaloun Cafe the perfect destination to enjoy a morning coffee, a lunch with friends, an afternoon tea, or a sumptuous dinner.
Kuwait City, Kuwait
“A 'must' for all patrons of good food, good atmosphere and good service”
Reviewed September 21, 2012

This is a gem of a restaurant I visited during my short stay in Beirut, Lebanon. I will keep this review short, as all I have to say is that words will not describe the experience in an adequate manner in comparison to a visit in person. I know that my review is based on a single visit, but I would be surprised that my experience was a lucky break. The place was full and everyone else seemed to be enjoying themselves as much as I was. There was a refreshingly well balanced mix of men and women and people of all denominations.

The food is exquisite, the salad bar is plentiful, the sauces are delicious and the ala carte menu is full of variation. Very tasty and fresh throughout. The establishment also has a great selection of alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages. I particularly liked the Lebanese draft beer. Very refreshing.

There are also many options for the bread choices in the sandwich menu. From full white to jet black and several options in between. I opted for the Parma Ham sandwich and it was perfectly portioned and filling. I was also very pleasantly surprised to receive the accompanying fresh home crisps/chips which were comprised of a good handful of potato accompanied by a small variety of vegetable shavings. Very tasty...

The additional pleasure in the ambiance was marked by the newly implemented Lebanese public space indoor non-smoking law. The food is readily enjoyed without the intrusive scent of cigar/cigarette/pipe smoke with every mouthful. That being said (for all the smokers out there), there are two outdoor veranda spaces to the front and rear of the establishment. Interestingly enough, I was actually sat with an avid pipe smoker and he said that he rather enjoyed the smoke free indoors. He didn't feel constricted, or discriminated against, as there is this great outdoor space which continues in the restaurant's theme, therein giving the impression that all are sharing the same experience. I think this is a nice touch.

The hanging vines and plentiful greenery also adds to the scenic beauty of the restaurant.

Anyway, like I said at the start, this place deserves less words and more visits. I would recommend it to any of my friends and family.

• Visited September 2012