“Average at most”

Le Commodore Hotel
Ranked #44 of 117 Hotels in Beirut
“Average at most”
Reviewed July 16, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights in February. It was a nice hotel but average at the most. I found it overrated, especially for the price we were paying. The service was just okay and I felt a bit embarrassed to ask the concierge questions as he seemed a bit "oh you don't already know this?" kind of attitude. However, it was in a good location and we found our way around easily. We hired a driver to take us all over Lebanon so we didn't end up spending much time at the hotel except for sleeping. The room was comfortable enough. The breakfast was horrible and over-priced and they were very rude to us when we tried to pay. I will explore other hotel options next time I'm in Lebanon...

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank emilyv77
Eddy C, Director of Sales & Marketing at Le Commodore Hotel, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Dear M. Emily,

Thank you for taking your valuable time to inform us about your experience at Le Commodore Hotel and we truly appreciate your constructive comments tremendously.

Moreover and with reference to your note, we are really sorry for the inconvenience occurred during your last stay with us with regards the concierge and the breakfast.

Our General Manager has shared your comments with each department which in return will investigate and address the issue with the team member’s concerned in order to avoid the recurrence of such incidents in the future.

Hoping that this did not affect on your stay we are certainly looking forward to welcoming you back to Le Commodore Hotel and assuring you that we will spare no efforts to make your stay with us the most enjoyable and memorable one.

Best regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed June 17, 2013

It's been some time since I visited the Le Commodore Hotel and I recently decided I needed to describe the service shortcomings I experienced during my stay back in September 2012. I spent about 4 days during a business trip to lovely Beirut. Most of my days were spent out of the hotel with clients and numerous meetings.

The room itself was tired and nothing special for a so called 5 star hotel and bed was uncomfortable. Food uninspiring both the breakfast buffet and the occasional room service. Staff seemed uninterested and did not do much to WOW me during my stay. My biggest issue was with the service that I experienced on one of the nights where I had an evening meeting with a potential client at the lobby lounge of the hotel. Being professional I went down to the lobby about 10 minutes early and took a seat at the couches next to the bar.

My appointment was running late and arrived 30 minutes later so it was close to 40 minutes before my potential customer arrived. In those 40 minutes I was not approached once to be offered a menu or asked if I needed something to drink and there was someone floating around but he paid no attention to me. My appointment lasted another 45 minutes and in that time, nothing!! I have stayed at many hotels and have never experienced this before! I could only explain this as the Hotel is in no need for extra money as it is making so much that a couple of drinks from 2 people is not sufficient but this could not be the reason as it was not that busy there must've been another 5 different tables of between 2 to 4 people at each and I was watching if they were being served. You guessed it NO!!! You may say why did you not ask for service? Well my philosophy is a simple one, if I go somewhere were service is expected I should not ask for it, it should be a given. The funniest is that my appointment noticed this as well and was shocked.

Maybe the Le Commodore does not care about its customers or their people are not trained well enough. Now I am sure that it is not the first part but rather that they do not train their people well enough or they are not being trained correctly. I know this, when I return to Beirut, I will definitely give this hotel a miss even if it is offered for Free!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank touristas_jhb
Eddy C, Director of Sales at Le Commodore Hotel, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Dear M. touristas_jhb,

On one hand, we would like to thank you for your constructive comments and on the other hand we have the pleasure to inform you about lots of improvement since your last visit dated September 2012.

- We held a soft refurbishment to some floors and rooms.
- WIFI available in all our rooms and lobby.
- Our buffet breakfast is rich and contains Lebanese & international items.
- Staff is well trained and available at all times.

Guest satisfaction is our main concern and we also assure you that those incidents are in no way representative of the quality of service that we, at Le Commodore Hotel, pledge towards our clients; and thus hope that this will not keep you from coming back again to Le Commodore Hotel.

Best regards,

Travelers are raving about these Beirut hotels

Reviewed June 11, 2013

I visited the hotel for a short holiday and overall I was happy with the level of the service and will be back in future.
- Location was good but very difficult to get in/out due to traffic.
- Hotel was clean and nice
- Staff were very freindly and helpful. I must say the service was very good.
One thing I would say maybe the rooms need to be refurbished as its quite old and also, with the recent technology the rooms should have WIFI access.

Room Tip: Good place for a short holiday!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Dear M. Candy,

Thank you very much for your kind review and we appreciate your concern regarding our rooms.

It is always so nice for us to hear about customer satisfaction, which is our main concern.

We have the pleasure to inform you the we started the refurbishment of some floors and rooms and now all hotels’ room are fully equipped with WIFI.

We thank you again for your support and look forward to welcoming you in our newly soft refurbished rooms during your next visit.

Best regards
Reviewed June 11, 2013

We stayed at the commodore for 2 months April -may 2013 and the staff there made our experience so enjoyable and were so accomodating with everything we needed. They helped us with everything from taxis to tips about the best local places to visit and were always so smiley and friendly everyday without fail. The pool area is lovely and the rooms are were clean and spacious and the food in beninhanas restaurant was delicious and a great dining experience. I definitely want to return to Beirut and would 100% stay at the commodore again.

• Stayed May 2013
Dear Mr. Erindusek,

We would like to thank you for your positive comments and we are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you again at Le Commodore Hotel, "you home away from home".

Reviewed June 7, 2013

From May 28 Til May 30/2013

1- The staff was helpful and always smiling.

2- The hotel had a great location being 3 minutes walking from Al-Hamra Street close to most city attractions.

3- The efficiency of staff was questioned when they failed to provide a room with wireless Wi-Fi and it was equipped with a cable which I refused to accept.
Even though they showed me their sorrow for not being able to find the room, they asked me to stay in the said room for a while until they manage something.Finally they didn’t.
And when I had an argument with them to find me another room or I leave the hotel, they surprisingly found a room for me.

To my surprise, I found out late at night that the room was on a smoker's floor.
I had nothing to do but to accept it and leave the windows partially closed to rid of the annoying smoke.

4- For a sole traveler the single room seemed to be sufficiently adequate but the bathroom door was miserable and needed lots of maintenance.

5- There was nothing to enjoy as scenery because the city was so overcrowded with buildings here and there with sound of cars and trucks and every other moving thing on the street below the window.

5- The hotel's restaurants were not up to the standards which I have seen around the world and the food was not typically Lebanese. They offered international cuisine but why am I in Lebanon, naturally for their famous food.

6- Restaurant waiters were the worst of all staff and I would question their training on guest relations. I almost begged some of them to bring me hot water for tea. Another waiter would ignore me, and other guests, and make them wait for a longer while to have them served. Sometimes I serve myself instead of asking for it.

I asked for an omelet with everything on it but the chief waiter brought only a scrambled egg plate. When asked about this he did not have an appropriate answer but wanted to convince me this was better.

7- The conference halls were not fully equipped and situated in the basement where no phone or internet could be accessed.

8- The WIFI service really needed lots of improvements regarding the downloading of videos. Each floor had its own username and password including the lobby, this meant that you have to ask for a new username and password everytime you make a trip to another friend or to the lobby. In addition you had to buy a new internet slip which is good only for 24 hours.

9- The recreation room was a bit small and not well ventilated with only one treadmill and one piece of equipment for enthusiastic health seekers. No sauna rooms no pool.

10- I would come back with family to enjoy the stay in the hotel if WIFI is ensued all over the premises.

11- Since power outage was regular and would be expected, water's weak pressure was totally unexpected but this only happened once and was very disturbing.

12- When I had to hire a taxi from the front of the hotel's entrance, I asked the concierge outside if the taxis are trustworthy and their charge is OK, he confirmed what I said. Later when we returned back from our two hour trip we found out that we have been swindled by the taxi driver for a lot of money.

13- Would not recommend it for longer night if you are seeking prime time relaxation.

Room Tip: You to express your choice of smoking or non-smoking room. Dont be a good tipper before you pay fo...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear Mr. Amirmarafi,

Thank you for your constructive comments and we appreciate your concern regarding some issues. We sincerely apologize for the unfortunate incident and inconvenience that you faced in the hotel during your last stay.

We assure you that all the issues raised have been addressed properly with the concerned teams and corrective measures have been taken in order to avoid the recurrence of such incident in the future.

On the other hand, we have the pleasure to inform you about some improvements:
- All our rooms are now equipped with WIFI and for bigger size room, we strongly suggest the Superior Room category.
- Our Ballroom is now fully renovated and fully equipped with the latest high tech.
- Our property has 6 day light meeting rooms for your future events.
- Last but not least, all our guests have free access to “Lifestyles” the most famous health club in town in addition to our onsite Exercise Room.

Finally, we reiterate our apologies for the inconvenience caused and I look forward to welcome you personally during your next visit.

Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed May 18, 2013

If you are a smoker, no need to read this review. If not, read on.

The hotel is location in Hamra, ten minute walk from downtown on a small busy street.
I give them two stars because, although we had ten emails back and forth confirming our arrival, they never picked us up at the airport. That’s half a star off. One more half is for the very basic breakfast and the small room and with the stony bed.

Two stars off for the fact that the room on the non-smoking floor had ashtrays and smelled like hell. No point changing room, they’re all the same. It is the same thing with the gym and the restaurant, despite the law in the country that prohibits it. Of course, it has to do with the Lebanese not caring for the law. But, if you want international customers you have to wake up.

We handed up moving to another hotel and staying there a month until we found our apartment.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Eddy C, Director of Sales at Le Commodore Hotel, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Dear Mr. Mario-Thibert,

Thank you for your constructive comments and we appreciate your concern regarding smoking issue.
We would like to inform you that a deep investigation took place and corrective measures have been taken with the concerned persons.
We apologize for any inconvenience caused and we hope you give us the opportunity to welcome you again during your next visit to Lebanon and I will be glad to welcome you personally upon your arrival.
Feel free to contact me on my email: e.chahine@lecommodorehotel.com

Regards,
New Delhi, India
Reviewed May 16, 2013

Le Commodore is in the best shopping district of Beirut . Shops and bargains close at hand--clothes, shoes (especially shoes), goods of all kinds, banks, and the pleasant, courteous Lebanese to guide you if you get lost. Shopkeepers are friendly and helpful. All this adds to the ambience of a quiet, spacious, well maintained hotel where the staff is helpful. My room was really roomy. Minibar and tea making equipment neatly hidden in a cupboard. Lots of storage. TV. Easy access to the internet from the. room. Spacious and well equipped bathroom. Clean clean clean. Breakfast is generous--Lebanese and continental. Best of all, it is a short walk away from the sea, and from there another short and level walk towards excellent eating places beside the Mediterranean. The walk back may be a bit much but taxis are easy to get and cost $10 upwards.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Eddy C, Director of Sales at Le Commodore Hotel, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Dear lordullinsdaughter,