“very good hotel”
Review of Phoenicia Hotel

Phoenicia Hotel
Ranked #2 of 114 Hotels in Beirut
Reviewed January 30, 2009

one of the best hotel in beirut. The hotel is magnificent . Very good breakfast.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank nooris_MT

Reviewed December 18, 2008

i have booked the hotel during the islamic feast vacation , my wife for the first time planned this trip as i was away on business she succeeded to get an excellent rate through a travel agent $233 city view king size bed this was less than their direct rate by $110 , we have also planned to stay at the mzaar on the mountains for two nights but due to sudden change in plans we had to cut them to one night and faced the issue of booking on a very short notice for this night down in beirut . we went to intercontinental requested a double room as a walk in it was 5 pm but they insisted on 341 dollars for the room we booked for the rest of the vacation . the problem is that they tried to convince us to upgrade from outr travel agent price as the room they booked for us " the travel agent " was too small and insisted when we refused we went to book in monroe across the street a very nice modern hotel and for $150 including buffet breakfast .

the good thing about the hotel is the lobby and luxury , the place was very buzy and when we checked in the next day we got an excellent room not as they previously mentioned at all . they send fruits , choclates and desserts as a complment every day . and the holiday inn view was no issue . they have set a maximum to tv almost half its power and when i requested to increase it they said we have to cinsult the manager and get back to me but they never did . they have a free shuttle to the airport but it is a hassle booking it . one of the good things that they can clean your room anytime 24/7 .

book it through a travel agent no other source will give u this price when it is high season .

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 29, 2008

Best hotel In Lebanon, the lobby is very attractive and lively,there is live entertainment . Great place to hang out at night. The food is delicious in the restaurant. Baker is baking the pita bread right at breakfast. The room is nice and comfy. Location is great right near all the attractions.
Definitely recommend this property.

• Stayed: September 2005, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TandLtravel
Reviewed July 13, 2008

The Phoenicia is at the epicentre of social and business life in Lebanon with in the evening, an endless stream of Godesses heading for one of the daily "I can spend more than you can" weddings. The lobby is full of vitrines displaying sparkling baubles, bangles and beads to attract the well healed visitors. As such, it is a noisy and buzzy place.

Stayed on one of the Club Floors, rooms are so so, quite small and beginning to show a bit of age. Best feature is the large balcony with great views along the coastal strip and the St. George beach club set amidst the crumbling ruins of the eponymous hotel. Not much point asking for a Non Smoking room, as smoking is a national pass time and everyone is at it from the humble cigarette through to massive Cohibas, as such no surprise to find packets of cigarettes in the mini bar. Bathrooms well lit with good size L'Occitane products which were renewed daily. Laundry service to be commended.

Club service excellent, very good breakfasts and evening drinks, all through the halo of smoke.

Outdoor pool is very pleasant and with beautiful mosaics and attracts a busy crowd.

Lunch in Mosaic was good with an excellent range of mezze. Dinner at Caffe Mondo was very good with extremely simple but well prepared Italian classics which were well matched with the range of delicious Lebanese wines.

Overall a good choice but without any real personal service or intimacy. For that, head to the Albergo.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed January 31, 2008

I booked this hotel directly through the hotel website. The hotel replied to every e-mail I sent before my arrival (to make special arrangements).

Upon arrival I was greeted by the tight security presence, but Beirut can be dangerous, and because many of the country's top politicians and government officials live at this hotel, it is important to make this hotel and it's downtown location a safe haven. Former PM Rafiq Hariri was assassinated just outside the hotel in 2005. Anyways I was greeted by the doorman, who took my luggage, and I was escorted to the reception, where a polite clerk checked me in. I booked a standard room (using a special rate, which I am entitled to use), but I was upgraded to the IC Club level. I was escorted to my room by a bellboy.

The room on the 5th floor was amazing, newly renovated, I suppose. The room had a large balcony with two chair and a table facing the sea. Nice to have my morning coffee here. Very nice touch! The room had two queen beds, which were very comfortable, and enabled me to have a good night's sleep. There was a 37" quality LCD screen and a dvd-player. Many international channels to choose from. This is a good thing about Beirut, almost every hotel have a great choice of cable channels. No wireless internet, but internet through cable - which cost app. 30 USD per 24 hours. Fully stocked minibar with reasonable prices. Large safe who fits laptop. Sufficient power points around the room. And large walk-in closets to store your luggage and belongings. The room was very large and airy and extremely clean.

The bathroom was wonderful as well, also newly renovated. All in warm marble. Large and deep bathtub, seperate large walk-in shower, own chest for the toilet and bidet, plentiful and exclusive British bath amenities. The bathroom was large and very clean too!

The only minor problems I had during my stay was the unpredictable shower, cause the rail where the shower head was situated tended to slide, and the shower was not 100 % waterproof, so at a couple of occasions the water flooded onto the bathroom floor. They should also have more lightening in the room itself, cause it got pretty dark in the evening, even though I had all light switched on. But this is only minor problems, and not really a big deal.

Service was top! Best I have experienced in Beirut. People everywhere to take your requests with a happy smile. Some might think the security points to enter the hotel are annoying, but for me it only made me feel safe.

Housekeeping was excellent on both morning and turndown service. Lots of complimentary goodies were provided: complimentary drinking water, complimentary fruits and complimentary sweets. All refilled twice a day.

Beautiful spa and well equipped gym and swimming pool.

I tried one of the restaurants, the lobby bar, the rooftop bar and the roomservice. All was prompt and delicious. The rooftop bar are really stylish, and I would recommend you to visit it even if you're not staying at the hotel. The view over Beirut is beautiful.

The location is great. As I visited Beirut for tourism/visiting friends the location is unbeatable. The hotel is located in the downtown area, near the sea. There is a 10 minute walk from the hotel to the shopping/restaurant area in downtown. Hamra and Verdun (two other areas on the tourist track) are easily accessible by regular cabs, which are plentiful and inexpensive - 5-10 minutes away by taxi. I even walked the distance, and didn't have any problems. Beirut is a city who easily can be done by foot. Downtown are pretty quiet and empty these days due to fear of assassinations and terrorist attacks. But I have felt perfectly safe in Beirut on recent visits. I have never experienced, nor seen, any kind of problem when visiting Beirut. If you keep some distance to political demonstrations and convoys I think you will be perfectly safe. Beirut is much safer than the average European city. Lebanese people are extremely friendly, and they will help you with any question. They also know how to party, and Lebanese food is great too!!! Beirut are one of my favourite cities now. And InterContinental Phoenicia = THE place to stay in Beirut.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled on business
3  Thank skrosvik
Reviewed January 17, 2008

My husband I stayed in a suite at the Intercontinental while visiting Beirut this winter. We really enjoyed the hotel. I don't always like staying in large hotels because I feel service can be lacking. This was not the case at this hotel. Everyone did a wonderful job of making us feel welcome. The room itself was lovely with a fantastic view of the Mediterreanean. I loved the huge bathroom with serperate shower and tub. Everything was spotless in the room. We used many of the servies including laundry, shoes shining after a muddy day of sightseeing, and making reservations at restaurants and bars. I will stay here again the next time I am in Beirut.-

Stayed: January 2008
Reviewed September 1, 2007

It is simply the best hotel in the whole of lebennon. I tried a few and none came close to the kind of service, rooms, and atmosphere of this hotel. Food is great whether in room or in its restaurants. There are some good small boutiques of good brands of clothing, jewelerey, in addition to one of the best hair dresser in the country. It is also near the sea so you can go walking, jogging, or just to enjoy the scenery.

Stayed: November 2005