“Nice but be aware about the rate”
Review of Phoenicia Hotel

Phoenicia Hotel
Ranked #2 of 116 Hotels in Beirut
Reviewed October 6, 2013

First of all, there is no doubt that Phoenicia is the one of the best hotels in Beirut in terms of their service, facilities and location. However, few majors things annoyed me during my stay at the hotel.
1. Check-In: I went to the ambassador and priority club check-in desk as I hold both cards, I was treated as a priority club member not as an ambassador and didn't get that big benefits or value from the ambassador. My room was upgraded because of my priority member not ambassador , I didn't even get the normal welcoming e.g. fruits or drinks at my room, I was really surprised from this ... So I think Phoenicia hotel is not following the minimum standard treatment and welcoming for the Ambassador members. Even the upgrade was really normal to deluxe room nothing special on the upgrade was although the hotel wasn't fully occupied and there was a good chance to offer me a better upgrade.
2. I reserved through IHG website, as per the hotel reservation # 61625180 the estimated total was $$401.50 and when I did the check-out they asked me to pay $415 with no any clarifications from their side why I have to pay this amount although I debate the receptionist lady but she say here is your bill for the first night. This is really weird I have to pay more 14 USD, I send my complaints this through the survey along with a complaint regarding the breakfast, I received a call from the manager whose responsible about the restaurant, and I told him also about this extra charge and he said for sure that someone will call you from our side as he did and also I raised this complaint to the IHG and they suggest me to raise it for the Hotel directly as I did also with NO REPLY till this moment.
I'm really disappointed about this treatment although I was expecting different treatment from them. However I will keep my loyalty to IHG especially for the Crown plaza Hotels and InterCon but not in Beirut.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank RoubaSammour
Tamara S, Manager at Phoenicia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2013

Dear roubey,
Thank you for choosing Phoenicia Beirut for your stay and for taking the time to share your feedback on TripAdvisor.
We were concerned to read about the inconveniences you have encountered during your last stay with us, for which we would like to apologize.
We strive to make our guests experience one of the best, so please stay assured that your feedback has been communicated and corrective measures have been taken to avoid future repeats.
Regarding the Cards and difference in rates, please let us explain that your Ambassador Card was initiated after your stay at Phoenicia, meaning that the Card you used upon check in was the IHG reward club and not the Ambassador card as for the rate change upon check out , this difference was due to the hotel’s exchange rate (1$=1470LBP).
We honestly believe that your unfortunate experience is an exception to the service we are accustomed to offering as the Phoenicia Beirut is committed to providing its guests with the highest quality of service standards. You will be contacted soon by our front office manager to further discuss your points.

Once again, thank you for your honest review, and we hope to see you back again at Phoenicia Beirut.

There are newer reviews for Phoenicia Hotel

Reviewed October 3, 2013

Stayed at the Phoenicia for 4 nights had a wedding across the road, lovely hotel amazing history and architecture.

The rooms are at a very high standard but that comes with a relatively high price tag! Overall have nothing but good things to say, The breakfast was amazing!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Emad M
Tamara S, Manager at Phoenicia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2013

Dear Emad M,

Thank you for your stay at Phoenicia Beirut; we greatly appreciate your feedback and review.

We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel and found our facilities and services up to your expectations.

Hope you enjoyed the wedding and once again, we thank you for choosing the Phoenicia Beirut and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed September 12, 2013

I stayed with a friend for 3 nights and was pampered to bits!
All the staff were extremely welcoming, friendly and professional from the start till the very end! We had a seaview room in the main building of the hotel and could see all of zeytuna bay and the sea front!
The beds are very comfortable and the rooms are fully equipped, with a coffee maker and a full mini bar, toileteries (L'Occitane en Provence), a vanity kit and more.
The best part must have been breakfast at mosaic, The buffet is huuuge and includes everything from lebanese to international specialities.
We also had dinner in Eau de Vie, the french rooftop restaurant and the panoramic view was priceless!
As for the food, it was excellent! especially the desserts! All in all, we had a terrific stay and i would definitely stay in Phoenicia again and recommend it to anybody!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Tamara S, Manager at Phoenicia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 15, 2013

Dear Sandra W,

Wow, what an amazing description and review!

First of all, thank you for staying with us at Phoenicia Beirut and for taking the time to share your feedback on TripAdvisor. We are very delighted to hear that you spent a great time during your three days at Phoenicia. It's a pleasure to hear that you found our greetings upon your arrival warm and welcoming and that the breakfast and the service were up to your expectations. We surely shared your review with the Phoenicia team as such detailed comparison brings us pride and satisfaction especially when considered the “Gem” of Lebanon.
Your feedback is very much appreciated and again we thank you for such a descriptive post.
We are so glad you enjoyed our facilities and services especially the breakfast at Mosaic and the rooms.

Again, thank you for your review and commitment to promoting Phoenicia Hotel. Hopefully you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed September 11, 2013

Coming from a frequent traveler when it comes to hotels in the middle east, Phoenicia Hotel is your choice. Located in the heart of Beirut Phoenicia is close to the beach and downtown.
The staff were super sweet and very welcoming, as soon as you enter the hotel, you see everyone smiling, excellent service, beautiful and comfortable rooms overlooking the sea, and good food. The outdoor pool is pretty much amazing, very calm and relaxing. I spent most of my times chilling at the pool and sipping on some cocktail. Last but not least, the Spa. I had the best experience at the hotel, I would highly recommend it.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Larz6
Tamara S, Manager at Phoenicia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2013

Dear Larz6,

Wow, what an amazing description and review! First of all, thank you for staying with us at Phoenicia Beirut and for taking the time to share your feedback on TripAdvisor.

It was a great pleasure for us to read and share your review with the Phoenicia team. Such detailed and profound feedback brings us pride and satisfaction.
We are really glad you appreciated the service, outdoor pool and spa. We always strive to make every guest feel at home when they come to Phoenicia and experience Lebanon to the fullest, we hope you felt the same.

Thank you again and we look forward to having you back in Phoenicia, your home in Beirut, for your future visits.

Reviewed August 30, 2013

During these turbulent times, with the troubles in Syria, it was great to get away. This hotel is a real gem. The staff were very attentive, the pool area is amazing. Swing seats and curtained off areas for a bit of privacy.
The pool area also play black and white film classics during the evenings and a cocktail by the pool is a must.
Loved my stay here. Would highly recommend it!

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank Womblegallagher
Tamara S, Manager at Phoenicia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2013

Dear Womblegallagher

Thank you for choosing Phoenicia Beirut for your stay and taking the time recommend us on TripAdvisor.
It was a great pleasure to read your overall positive post and we are delighted that you have enjoyed your stay with us and your experience in Beirut.
I would like to thank you for your post and the way you promoted our highlights especially Amethyste our outdoor pool.
Once again, thank you for sharing your memorable experience and for promoting Phoenicia Beirut. We look forward to having you back soon among us.

Reviewed August 28, 2013

I had the pleasure of staying at the Phoenicia a few weeks back and came away very impressed. This hotel truly has a classic feel, with the design, service and décor making the client feel special. All of your needs can be taken care of at the Phoenicia, from eating and drinking 24 hours, to an outdoor smoking area / lounge open until the wee hours of the morning, to an amazing spa and one of the best hotel gyms I have ever seen. The restaurants are amazing, and the variety of food made it hard to chose what to eat! The location is very good, being in walking distance to Hamra, the downtown and the boardwalk by the Ocean. The pool area is large and spacious and has direct sun for most of the day. I will only stay at the Phoenicia when I return to Beirut.

Room Tip: There are lower rooms that have balconies overlooking the gardens over the pool, very nice view and...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sasha_le_voyageur

o Dear Sasha_le_voyageur

Thank you for your recent stay at Phoenicia Beirut; we greatly appreciate your feedback and amazing review.

It is always lovely to read reviews with detailed descriptions highlighting exactly what the guest enjoyed during his/her stay.

Once again, we thank you for choosing the Phoenicia Beirut and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed August 28, 2013

It is definitely a five star hotel. It is a very god hotel very spacious and glamour' maybe not my style because it is mostly for business meeting . You can do shopping within the hotel and there is even a Barbour shop.
Luckily I was invited for a business meeting stay and I assure you that it is very expensive. I have been three times to this hotel and i enjoyed my stay.
The location is strategic because just 5 minutes away from "Zaitouna bay" which is a great place where you can enjoy a walk along St Georges bay and visit all kind of restaurant along the bay.
And also near by you have the magnificent "Four seasons hotel" the number one hotel in Lebanon without no doubt.
The outside pool in Phoenicia hotel is good with the loungers.
The hotel is just 20 minutes away from the airport hoping there is no traffic jam (about 9 km).

Room Tip: The higher room the better so you can catch the gorgeous sea view.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Neeman I
Tamara S, Manager at Phoenicia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2013

Dear Neeman I
We would like to thank you for taking the time to share with us your experience at Phoenicia Beirut.
It is a pleasure to know that you have enjoyed your stay & our facilities and services were up to your expectations.
Our aim is to always provide our guests with the finest service possible in order to ensure they have a memorable stay.
As for the Zaitunay bay and surrounding, you are totally right we believe it was an added value to Beirut and to our Hotel in particular adding to the already available diverse restaurant options within our premises.
Once again, thank you for choosing Phoenicia Beirut and for your feedback,
Hopefully you will come back to Phoenicia and experience again what we are best known for.