“Great Food, great staff BUT!”
Review of St. Elmo's Seaside Brasserie - CLOSED

St. Elmo's Seaside Brasserie
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: An escape from the dreary restaurant grind, St. Elmo's serves elevated pub grub in a retro-urban seaside setting. Packed with 'crowd pleasing fare', the look is simultaneously rough and quaint, in a struggling-artist sort of way. The restaurant owes it's name to St. Erasmus of Formiae, the patron saint of sailors who is affectionately known as St. Elmo's. Attempts at culinary categorization are futile since St. Elmo's is more seasonal and inventive than Beirut's best brasseries but cheaper and more accessible than what you find at the great bastions of haute cuisine. Specializing in down-home dishes like rich and gooey 'Mac & Cheese', the 'Classic Fish & Chips' and a plethora of other sudo-traditional foodstuffs, St. Elmo's has managed to capture the elusive mix of style and spirit of 'the perfect day at the beach'.
“Great Food, great staff BUT!”
Reviewed March 27, 2014

My friends and i went to St.Elmos yesterday to celebrate our friends birthday. A bunch of us went earlier for happy hour and loved the place, the service is excellent, the staff was nice and friendly, the drinks were great. Later on as the rest of our friends started arriving for the dinner party, we were seated and everything and our friend made the reservation for 20 people, but we explained that it is a big gathering and as everyone who may have organized such an event knows, there is bound to be some rude people who back out last minute or people who only come to say hello and stay for a short period of time. That is exactly what happened, 15 people showed, 3 people left after 15 minutes and there were 12 remaining, 10 people ordered food and one person ordered drinks. Here is where things started to piss me off, the manager told us that there will be a minimum charge of $30 per person, we agreed, thinking (personally) that the $30 included whatever we wanted (worth $30), another friend thought that we get an appetizer, a main dish, and a drink. BUT to our surprise, when we wanted to order, i asked the waiter, just making sure that we can order whatever we want, right? and he was like no you only get ONE main dish and open soft drinks, AND not only that, the Main Dish was restricted to 3 plates out of the entire menu (and you choose one of them of course). So by this point, i was pissed but decided not to ruin the birthday girl's mood by my complaining. Out of curiosity, i checked the menu because i wanted to see how much the St.Elmos burger was, it costs 22 000 L.L. Such a rip-off, why should i pay 45 000 L.L for a burger and open soft drinks!? Anyway, when we ordered the check, the manager was like i am going to charge you for 12 people because you made reservations for 20 people. The place was COMPLETELY empty inside, it is not like we cost them business or anything. Yeah, so that was the last straw for me. Mesh bas eno it was a rip-off, and now THIS!
Amazing place, great food, great waiters. BUT what happened to us yesterday is unacceptable. And we are not the type of customers you want to lose.

• Visited March 2014

New York City, New York
“Carrots are offered as bar snacks”
Reviewed December 15, 2013 via mobile

I stopped by here after having walked from the AUB hood to the Souks via the Zaitunay Bay and back. I needed to rest my feet! I ordered the local draft beer, Almaza, and got peanuts and carrot sticks to munch on. Outside with a view of the marina, it was a nice refreshment.

• Visited December 2013
“Great place”
Reviewed September 6, 2013

The food there is great especially the cookie, sangria, mac & cheese and the fish & chips.
The waiters are friendly and helpful
It's a great place to go on a warm afternoon by the sea.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank G K
Beirut
“Realazing place”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Good sangrias and nachos!! the fish and chips could use some fine tuning to make it perfect! I recommend going late in the afternoon or at night as its too hot during the day, even with ventilation!

Visited August 2013
Nice, France
“Good effort, but this place misses the mark on many levels”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

First of all I want to give credit to the staff, that seemed to try hard, but the whole place seemed very unorganized and like most of the staff were very new and didn't know their jobs. We started out by ordering drinks right away. We ordered a pitcher of beer which didn't come and neither did menus. We asked again for the pitcher of beer and two not quite cold bottles arrived a few minutes later. The manager came out and offered us 2 more on the house which was very kind. We then got menus and ordered. The food came out relatively quickly, but had to do a tour around the restaurant, before the server found which table it was for.
This is the part that earns a 2 star review. The food was awful. My friend got hamburger, and said he had had better hamburgers at his primary school cafeteria. I ordered the grilled chicken salad. The chicken seemed to have been prepared quite a while before, and then perhaps reheated. It was very dry, hard and thankfully tasteless. There was what appeared to be avocado in my salad but it was black in color and harder than the chicken. I couldn't break it apart with my fork.
Those are 2 things that a chef should never ever put on a plate to serve to people.
So in summary, I will say that the staff was very friendly and genuinely meant well, but were also confused and very inexperienced. Whoever was in the kitchen that night shouldn't be preparing food for people if they would put rotten avocado on a plate, and can't be bothered to grill a chicken breast fresh as the orders come in.
Very disappointing as every where else I've ever eaten in Beirut has been excellent.

• Visited August 2013