“Not up to the standards of Zaitunay Bay”
Review of St. Elmo's Seaside Brasserie - CLOSED

St. Elmo's Seaside Brasserie
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: An escape from the dreary restaurant grind, St. Elmo's serves elevated pub grub in a retro-urban seaside setting. Packed with 'crowd pleasing fare', the look is simultaneously rough and quaint, in a struggling-artist sort of way. The restaurant owes it's name to St. Erasmus of Formiae, the patron saint of sailors who is affectionately known as St. Elmo's. Attempts at culinary categorization are futile since St. Elmo's is more seasonal and inventive than Beirut's best brasseries but cheaper and more accessible than what you find at the great bastions of haute cuisine. Specializing in down-home dishes like rich and gooey 'Mac & Cheese', the 'Classic Fish & Chips' and a plethora of other sudo-traditional foodstuffs, St. Elmo's has managed to capture the elusive mix of style and spirit of 'the perfect day at the beach'.
Reviewed August 8, 2012

I was promised with a great over-all experience, but I was treated to a subpar customer service and subpar atmosphere.

In short, we were served with 3 bottles of water that each costs 10,000 without even asking for a second bottle. The waiter kept opening bottle after bottle, and we literally cut our outing short, because of this.

We ended up paying 30,000 for water and 25,000 for desserts. This is unacceptable,especially that the place was full of teenagers and loud Adele music was playing.

St Elmos B, Owner at St. Elmo's Seaside Brasserie, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2012

Dear ZuZ85,

Thank you for taking the time to write to us about what seems to have been a disappointing experience for you and your guests. I was surprised to learn that you were charged 10,000 LL per bottle of water, since the bottled water we serve at Elmo's is only 7,000 LL tax included.

Our waiters at Elmo's are trained to make sure that our guests are never missing anything on the table, which would explain why he/she kept refilling your glasses. Nonetheless, you are correct in saying that the waiter should have asked if you wanted another bottle or at the very least specified that you are being charged for the water.

I sincerely hope that this incident will not keep you from dining at Elmo's again.

Thanks and regards,

Joey Ghazal
C.E.O & Managing Partner
St. Elmo's Seaside Brasserie

Reviewed July 29, 2012

Great, busy atmosphere. Loved my short time there. I didn't even mind the delay and miscommunication when I tried ordering gelato - the staff were friendly and it was well worth it in the end.
I'm also appreciative that the gelato was on the house! That's Beirut hospitality for you. Can't wait to return on my next trip!

Reviewed July 18, 2012

It is nice to find a place in Beirut that offers something different from the boring "international cuisine menu's".

Things I would recommend trying are:

- The shrimp toast ( I am usually not a fan of this appetizer, bu at Elmo's its special)
- The Lobster roll ( It was my first time trying Lobster and now I am hooked)
- The Grilled Chicken, has an amazing marinade
- The Waldorf Salad - The dressing is amazing

everything else on the menu is also great. The atmosphere is of relaxed elegance, you almost feel as though you are on a cruise ship, taking a nice vacation...

Reviewed June 28, 2012

Decided to go to St. Elmo's last Sunday night with friends, after so many people recommended we go check it out! & they were totally right!

The courtesy of their service was amazing! Waiters were smiley and friendly, but never over imposing. They were very helpful by recommending which plates to try, for there were too many luscious options on the menu! ;)
I finally went for a Fish & Chips plate, which was the best I ever had in Lebanon. They were exactly like the same ones you'd expect to have in London! They were served with mushy peas, and (my own favorite) tartar sauce, & yummy home-made style fries.. The texture of the fish was amazing.
For a desert, I went for their all famous soft center Chocolate Chip Cookie, which came in the same old-fashioned pot in which it was baked, topped with a scoop of Vanilla Bean ice-cream... It was pure delight.. I got nothing more to describe it..
As a side drink, I chose their own version of Bloody Mary (which never was a favorite of mine), but since I'm a sucker for seafood, and this one was topped with a shrimp and a mussel, I just couldn't resist! Everyone should try it, it truly is unique ;)

I'd recommend St. Elmo's to everyone visiting Beirut.. Keep up the good work you guys! your food, service & decoration rock! ;)

1  Thank Hibakhalil
Reviewed June 28, 2012

I assure to you that the perfect time to feel this whole "shipping journey" is to come when the sun is setting down! Nothing is more beautiful than watching the sun waving you goodbye as it sinks in the sea, and as you are enjoying nibbling on some steamed and tossed EDAMAME in coarse salt, lemon zests &togarashi peppers.Or sneaking some Summer Rolls made from cold shrimp &wild greens wrapped in rice paper, served with a crunchy peanut dip.

Not to forget the mason jars that gives it a real illusion that I was on a actual ship, otherwise what is better to avoid the candle falling than putting it in a mason jar or you spilling your drink than drinking from it?

And if you want to be brave enough and jump off the deck of your comfort ship, try the BLACK CARPACCIO made from old-cured Black Angus Tenderloin topped with arugula, freshartichoke hearts, fennel & shaved parmesan with a balsamic caramel!

If you want to sail back to the sea, try the tasty salmon tartar served on a bed of home-made crème. And why not some lobsters? NEW ENGLAND LOBSTER ROLL Nova Scotia lobster, watercress and a home-made aioli.
And if you still embarking in this journey, don't miss out the FAMOUS FISH &CHIPS, mediterranean bass served with mushy peas and home-made tartar sauce.

The size is bigger when you order. THis is a tasting sample :)
Ask the fisher about his catch and you will get the fish of the day!
And if you are planning on decking your ship back to your homeland, try a familiar plate such as mac&cheese or ST. ELMO’S BURGER, 250g of USDA Prime topped with aged cheddar and a side of creamy slaw!

Miniburgers to be tasted ( They are much bigger when you order them!)

Try the PANZENELLA made from Barrel feta, heirloom tomatoes, radish, spanish onions, black olivetapenade, wild herbs, day-old bread & olive oil lemon dressing

Above all, the sailing wont be complete if you missed out the scrumptious desserts!
SOFT CENTER CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE Oven baked , topped with vanilla bean ice cream.

And the FRIED MARS BAR... How will I explain its taste? It is a must

And did I tell how much useful and informative the waiters were? They know the menu very well. Something that I look for in waiters. I love it when they explain what everything is made for. It suggests that you are all ears to you and they know what is going around in the kitchen!

2  Thank Loulwa