“OK but expensive”
Review of Eau De Vie

Eau De Vie
Reserve with OpenTable
Eau De Vie is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #74 of 953 Restaurants in Beirut
Cuisines: International
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: Eau De Vie design was inspired by couture fashion to be sexy, modern and glamorous. It has a plush, sleek interior with the bar at centre stage, a mouth watering selection of wine and cigars, and an impressive new wine tasting room and walk in humidor. Located on the 11th floor of the Phoenician Tower, it boasts magnificent panoramic views of the Mediterranean Sea.
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Not many people in and the way the tables are arranged, not much chance of any atmosphere. Food was good and service was OK. Staff communication was lacking and some comments were inappropriate for this level of restaurant. Not really good value for money. Will try somewhere else next time.

Reviewed August 21, 2012

Enjoyable place: food, drinks, settings, service; all high caliber. I have been there twice already and never been disappointed.

Prices are a bit disproportionate.

Reviewed June 22, 2012

Eau De Vie is a restaurant that has all the perspectives of a superb 5 star restaurant. At a first glance you see the modern design, the luxurious setting and not to forget the nice location. So the first impression is nice but management and training of the staff can ruin any venue. A week ago While on vacation I was invited by a lady friend of my mom and 1 other to dinner at Eau de vie. We had a reservation they sat us they had a special chef from the Dorchester hotel in England for the theme of the Queen Jubilee. So as soon as we sat we hear a loud confrontation of words happening between our waiter and another waiter in plain sight. Then the menus are distributed; time to order same waiter that was having a fight with his colleague starts to take our orders from the set menu. My mom wanted a medium rare filet the waiter tells her I can’t get you a medium rare it will come out well done my mom asked him puzzled what do you mean by that he again told her that it will come out well done and she again told him that the only way she will eat it is if its medium rare. He started to get loud trying to press her for what he stated then I had to interject and told him to go get his manager since he was being arrogant and disrespectful of her. He went and got his manager the manager apologized for the waiter took down our order finally the filet came it was actually seared and raw and extremely salty but we ate it because at that point we were starving the main waiter was sent back to serve us I was astonished that they would send the guy we had a problem with. Then the lady that invited us had to complain and by chance the food and beverage manager was walking around she told him what just happened and then he sent his manager to give us Champaign we didn’t accept it then he got us some cocktails to mend things over. I myself and I am sure many of my friends will not ever go there any longer the waiting staff is disrespectful the food is salty and under cooked it was a very bad experience. It’s really bad for them the hotel is such a great location so is the restaurant. I feel they really need to train the waiting staff and management better to have a satisfying experience for their guests. One last note I loved the entertainment that was fortunately the best thing on the menu.

Reviewed May 29, 2012

A dazzling view of the yacht club with great international cuisine, and a service that is truly 5 stars no less, take your date and you will defiantly impress her

Reviewed December 30, 2011

A couple of weeks ago, the intercontinental Phoenicia hotel hosted a special high-end tasting dinner with a French chef coming directly from paris, France.
Chef Frederic Vardon is a neoclassical cuisine lover that has collaborated with Alain Ducasse as corporate Chef for 14 years, and now set up at 39 Avenue George V, a unique place in the heart of Paris.

His gastronomy defines the contemporary, rich and delicious French Cuisine.
Elegant, seductive and right, the cuisine draws its inspiration from French culinary heritage, using new techniques in modern style.

The first impression is very catchy. The chef left a written note in his proper handwriting, welcoming us to this journey. He wrote in French: "toute l'equipe du restaurant Eau De Vie et du 39V se joint a moi pour vous remerceier de voter presence parmi nous."

We experienced a beautiful dinner in 7 acts filled with the finest and noblest ingredients handpicked by the chef: Urchins, Scallops and line caught Sea Bass delicately complement Foie Gras, Truffle and Farm Veal.

- royal-style warm sea urchins, slice scallops with crispy celery & truffle.
- Duck foie gras with toasted & pickled brioche: cold dish comes in 4 layers of gelee and patee with three slices of magret de canard. Yellow soft brioche with raisins.
- roasted seabass in a green herb sauce with salted butter: 2 pieces of shrimp, 4 pieces of mussels covered with bread crumbs.
- roasted French farm veal, seasonal vegetables & slightly spiced sauce.

This voyage of discovery ended with sublime desserts and, of course, Frédéric Vardon’s signature dessert, the 39V Crispy Chocolate Cake. We had:
- Pearly meringues, fresh cream cheese ice cream & chest honey.
- crispy dark chocolate cake with golden leaf.
- coffee, sweets & chocolate

Five wines were carefully selected to accompany the dinner:
- 2010 blanc de Blanc Ksara.
- 2003 rudesheimer berg roseneck, Riesling.
- 2007 chateau fontareche.
- 2003 chateau meyney, saint eatephe.
- 2004 lacrima d'oro kefraya.
Honestly, I didn't understand what is the blanc de blanc doing with this selection, and as a first wine. We should be starting by the finest and the best.

Allow me at the end to add some four small notes, that may be details only, but very important and crucial for this kind of events.

The dinner was very good, tasty, amazingly presented, carefully prepared but lacked a bit of savor. Whenever a star Michelin chef invades a kitchen, he should have a "mmmmmmmm" effect on his guests. I mean by that, closing your eyes after every bite: that, I didn't really feel. Te taste would have surely be better if The dishes were less complicated.

The music was inappropriate. Lounge music? Rock to continue? Dance to end it? Loud with a beat? That was unacceptable. It is known worldwide that for this kind of events, classical music is a must.

The menu: a French chef, French cuisine, Michelin star, tasting, French wines... All this imposes to have a French menu. I have toured restaurants all around the world, even in Seoul, the menu is written in French in a French restaurant, maybe translated to English if needed.

The price was high, a bit too high compared to events of the same caliber around town.

The overall experience was good, I would rate it as a 07/10.