“Fantastic hotel in fantastic city!”

Four Seasons Hotel Beirut
Ranked #4 of 114 Hotels in Beirut
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Stayed at the Four Seasons for a week 10/1- 10/7 and had a fabulous experience. I had a minor leak in my shower and upon reporting it to the front desk I was immediately moved to a suite with profuse apologies from management. I've traveled quite a bit and the service I received from EVERYBODY associated with the hotel is top-notch.

I want to thank the Four Seasons for making my trip to Beirut unforgettable!

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank mazarino
StefanSimkovics, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Beirut, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2012

Dear Mazarino,

I would like to take this opportunity to really thank you for such generous words you shared with everyone of Tripadvisor, complimenting our hotel and the city.

We are very happy to know that you and your friends had an unforgettable week with us at Four Seasons Hotel Beirut, and we look forward to welcome you back again for greater experiences!

Stefan Simkovics

Reviewed September 24, 2012

Stayed here for four nights in August, in a standard courtyard view room. Paid about $500/night including breakfast.

Had a great time here, and would have no hesitation in recommending it.

Room
The rooms aren't massive, especially considering it's a new build property. But they're not overly small either, and they have the benefit of a balcony. Fixtures and fittings all fine. The bathroom was well equipped, with separate bathtub and shower. L'Occitane toiletries.

Comfy bed, reasonable amount of storage space (though wardrobe seemed a little mean, size wise).

Our "courtyard view" room actually looked onto a residential development set behind the hotel. There's a lot of construction work around the hotel - new boutiques, apartment blocks and other hotels in the pipeline.

I saw some of the other reviews which mentioned some issues, but we didn't experience anything negative. Check in was fine, and all the reception staff I dealt with were polite and well spoken. We spent a lot of time by the pool - which was pretty quiet for most of our stay, and so we enjoyed some very attentive service. I suppose the only thing to mention is that when you check out, check your bill - reception tried to charge us for breakfast even though it was included in our room rate, so a little sloppy there.

Ate breakfast in the grill room on all 4 days - which again, was pretty quiet (nearly deserted) while we were there. Great buffet spread and food cooked to order. Also ate by the pool a couple of times - pretty reasonable prices for things like club sandwiches, caesar salads etc. Very nice lemonade with mint.

If you like people-watching, the lobby is quite a good place for a drink. Clearly, the hotel is making most of its money these days through weddings and events - we spotted three weddings in as many evenings, and rather enjoyed watching the comings and goings of well-to-do Lebanese wedding guests in the lobby.

Pool
The rooftop pool is small, so I guess when the hotel is busy, it's probably not so great, but while we were there, it was pretty empty - bliss. Very relaxing, quiet, great views of Beirut - just lovely.

Gym
Standard hotel gym - i.e. a few treadmills and some cardio equipment, but not much in the way of free weights. The only notable thing was the cable station, which you coujld use for a full workout, I guess. But don't expect too much otherwise!

Other
I thought I'd heard something about a change in smoking rules and regulations in Beirut, but while we were there, everyone smoked everywhere. The receptionist summed it up pretty well when he said "the smoking laws in Beirut are...you can smoke". The smell of smoke hits you in pretty much every restaurant, and even as you step into the hotel lobby. If you're a non-smoker like me, it's upsetting, but I don't know what you can do, as everywhere in Beirut seems to be a smoking zone.

What else? The hotel is just over the road from the Zaitunay Bay development (sp?) - some OK if pricey restaurants there. We found the Beirut Souks development 10 minutes away a bit more fun - if a little artificial.

So to sum up - comfortable hotel, ok location - and all the time we felt pretty safe and secure.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
StefanSimkovics, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Beirut, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2012

Dear EuroLondon,

I am very pleased to learn of your positive impressions following your stay with us at Four Seasons Hotel Beirut.

We are very happy to know that you had a great time with us. Thank you for sharing your detailed feedback on TripAdvisor, and complimenting our service and staff.

I am sorry to hear of the inconvenience you faced during your check out with the reception, concerning the breakfast charges. We would like to inform you that this is being investigated internally to determine the reasons why the breakfast had been added to the system.

I would like to inform you that we have strictly reinforced the non-smoking law as of September the 3rd, in respect to the tobacco law that was issued on the 22nd of August.

We assure you that the next time you visit the country; you will definitely see the changes.

I hope to have the pleasure in welcoming you back to this lovely city in the near future.

Stefan Simkovics,

Reviewed September 16, 2012

This is a very nice and brand new hotel.
The rooms are very nice, roomy and with very comfortable beds....i slept amazingly well.
The spa is very good although quite pricey compared to beirut prices for spas.
The pool is excellent, and it's for the hotel guests only so it doesn't get crowded. Service at the pool is excellent too, you have free bottled water all day long as well as fruit shots every hour or so.
Their restaurant the grill room serves the best steaks in the country.
In general all the staff is friendly and helpful...except at reception! Disaster, very unprofessional and snooty. Plus they don't take in consideration any of your requests, or they simply are absent minded and don't register what you say.
I had asked for a late check-out that they approved, but the next day when i came back to my room from the pool, it was locked because they had deactivated my key! Quite annoying when you're all wet and standing in the hallway for 10 minutes.
Also they had been advised twice not to take payment from me ( i had been invited for my birthday) but from my mother. When my mother checked-out before me they simply refused to let her pay, god knows why...and then wanted me to settle the bill.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank dflawless1
StefanSimkovics, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Beirut, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2012

Dear dflawless1,

I highly appreciate your feedback regarding your stay. All guests' feedbacks offer us the opportunity to improve our services and facilities and we readily welcome both positive and constructive comments.

I am delighted to note that you’ve enjoyed the roof top pool and the hourly amenities we offer.

I have noted your comments regarding the pricey services at our Spa and the "unprofessional" service you experienced at the reception. I can understand your disappointment for standing in the hallway all wet waiting for your key. Rest assured that my team will look into the matter and corrective actions will be taken in order to avoid such shortcomings to occur again in the future.

I would like to thank you for your review of The Grill Room as well and was happy to read that you’ve loved the steak "the best in the country" as you said.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed September 5, 2012

Service is personalized and attentive - they make you feel like a queen. The sea view rooms have a stunning view. It's a fairly new hotel though and there are small things they can improve on. But I really enjoyed the stay there. Location is superb, right on water and near the downtown for shopping (but beware the prices) and sightseeing.

Room Tip: Sea view if you can afford it.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
StefanSimkovics, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Beirut, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2012

Dear Ms. GraceMadrid,

I would like to thank you for the time you gave to share your experience following your stay with us at Four Seasons Hotel Beirut.

It is a pleasure to know that you had a good experience at our property and that you felt like a queen.

Thank you for complementing the service, the location and the stunning view.

I have noted your comments regarding the small thingsthat we can improve, and will share this with the management internally.

On behalf of the whole team at Four Seasons Beirut, I look forward to welcoming you the next time you are in Beirut!

Reviewed September 4, 2012

We stayed at the Four Seasons Hotel Beirut twice this year, in early July and in late August. The experience, from check-in to check-out, was perfect.

The reception staff were very professional, attentive and friendly. During our first stay, there were guests ahead of us at check-in, but we did not have to wait. A staff member came to us directly and proceeded with our check-in. During our second stay, as is typical with any Four Seasons hotel, they remembered and confirmed our preferences. On check-out, they provided us with the governmental departure cards for completion, which was very considerate, as you would ordinarily have to collect the cards from the airline counters at the airport and complete them before proceeding to passport control.

The rooms were excellent and everything that you would expect from a Four Seasons hotel. We stayed on the 24th floor during both our stays at the hotel and the views, whether of the city or of the sea, were stunning. The housekeeping staff were very polite and efficient and rooms were cleaned twice daily. We returned to the room while the cleaning was in progress on one occasion and decided to wait on the balcony and enjoy the views. Without prompting, the housekeeping staff brought us water and ice before completing their tasks, which was a nice touch, but characteristic of the attention to service at this hotel. Room service was also excellent and orders were always delivered in a timely manner.

The spa facilities were first-rate, the staff were very professional and we had multiple excellent treatments during our stays. The changing rooms were very clean and had a thoughtful selection of supplies, right down to spare contact lens cases and solutions.

The concierge staff were also very responsive. We needed an item for our infant and called to inquire as to the nearest pharmacy. We literally didn’t have to complete the sentence. They knew exactly what was required, arranged for delivery to our room in a short period of time and the charges were very reasonable.

Breakfast at the restaurant was fantastic, with generous buffet and menu offerings. The staff were extremely attentive, stopping by very frequently to replenish drinks, replace plates and ask if we had any additional requests.

Overall, our personal experience at the Four Seasons Hotel Beirut was nothing short of perfect, with the facilities and staff certainly living up to our expectations of a Four Seasons offering. We would highly recommend this hotel and are looking forward to staying there during our next visit to Lebanon.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank BBarakat

Dear Mr. BBarakat,

It is a pleasure to know that you had a "perfect experience" at our property. Thank you for complementing the reception team for the prompt and professional service, the room, the housekeepers attention to details and room’s cleanliness.

We value your comment on the Spa, the cleanliness, the treatments and the staff, as well as the concerge, the Food and Beverage team and generous buffet.

I am happy to know you enjoyed your overall visit and that you will come back again to visit us.

Reviewed August 27, 2012

I stayed at the Four Seasons Hotel for 4 days during a recent vacation to Lebanon. While the overall hotel/facilities are excellent, the service did not meet my expectations. Here are the examples of the poor service that I received during my stay:

1) I arrived in the evening and was escorted to my room by the front desk clerk. He was friendly and told me a lot about the hotel (i.e. location of gym/spa, restaurant, ect.), but when he mentioned the pool, he informed me that he wanted to ensure that I'm aware that only guests of the hotel can use the pool. I was a little taken back by this, seeing as I never even mentioned to him anything along the lines of inviting outside guests to the pool. He mentioned that the hotel has had problems with this lately. At any hotel, it is accepted fact that only guests of a hotel are allowed to use the facilities, so since I did not ask him anything about this, it came across as he was reading me the "rules" of the hotel. It left a bad taste in month, seeing as I was just checking in after a very long flight from the states.
2) I inquired with the concierge about getting on the Skybar guest list with some friends. While she told me that it was not possible because it was a group of 3 men (Skybar I guess has a policy of not letting in groups of men without female dates), she came across as very aloof, and seemed almost amused that I would ask this question. Then, she just ended the conversation, moving on to help the next guest, without offering up any other suggestions of places to go that night. What she should have done is offered me alternatives to Skybar based on what I was looking for.
3) I spent the afternoon at the pool one day, and around 2:30 I ordered a club sandwich from the pool attendant. At around 3:30 I go ask the attendant at the entrance as to how much longer it will take to get my sandwich seeing as I had to leave at 4. 15 minutes later the pool attendant I originally ordered from comes and tell me it is going to take about 10-15 minutes more, meaning he forgot to put the order in. I told him I had to leave at 4, and to just forget it (I was quite annoyed). He did offer to get me a salad which he said would be quicker to prepare, but at this point I was just ready to leave. I felt that the pool attendants that day were just focused on providing quality service to the many large groups that were spending large amounts of money on bottles of wine and food, and because it was just me ordering one sandwich, I seemed to be an afterthought.
4) My last night before I met up with some friends/family for dinner, I decided to go up to the roof to have a drink and check out the view of Beirut at night. When I got off the elevator, the hostess immediately greeted me and I told her that I wanted to grab a quick drink and check out the view. She said that was ok, but since the bar was too crowded, I had to sit on a bench next to the pool. I was ok with that, so I make my way over to the bar to order a drink. A long 45 minutes later, one of the bartenders finally acknowledges me and takes my order. 10 minutes later the other bar tender hands me the check, but I have yet to still receive my drink. When he comes back to quickly pick up the check/payment, I tell him I will hand it to him once I receive my drink. I finally get my drink after over an hour. I mentioned the poor service to the hostess as I left, and her excuse was that the bar was really busy, which it was...but come on, almost an hour to get one drink! I saw the 2 bartenders at some points just joking and chatting between themselves, and the hostess herself walked by me numerous times without even offering to help me place my order. Again, if I was with a large group of people spending lots of money, I'm sure it wouldn't have taken an hour for the drinks to be prepared.

So, overall, while the facilities are wonderful and the restaurant is very good (the breakfast was excellent), I cannot recommend this hotel and would not stay here again because of the overall poor service I received (I've received better service at 3 star hotels). For the money I spent at this five star establishment, the service came in far below my expectations.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank joers
StefanSimkovics, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Beirut, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2012

Dear Mr. Joers,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on Trip Advisor following your recent stay with us.

I am of course concerned to learn that your experience fell short, and that we were unable to meet your expectations.

We value all forms of our guest’s feedback, and take it as an opportunity to continually improve our services and facilities.

Please accept my sincere apologies that you were left to feel disappointed with several points concerning our overall service. I can appreciate what an inconvenience this was for you.

I would like to assure you that we pay careful attention to any feedback provided to us by our guests, taking immediate steps to correct any deficiencies.

I would hope to hear from you in reply to our direct message, or at your leisure, please call the hotel at 961 1 761 000 and ask for me directly.

Finally, I hope to have the opportunity to restore your confidence in Four Seasons Beirut, if you ever decide to visit this beautiful city again.

Stefan Simkovics

Reviewed August 15, 2012

After staying at quite a few Four Seasons around the world, this one really should not be considered a Four Seasons at all. It is more of a four star hotel than anything...it looks nice, but lacks all kinds of professionalism that a Four Season should have...Normal hotels I would not be as picky about, but when you pay for a Four Seasons..you expect the best---and top notch service--and attention to fine details...for example...,our phone was broken and there was never a solution. I'd make calls and the darn phone would just stop and receiver would come out of the wall..so you're paying a lot of money for international calls that you get cut off from....nobody fixed it...We stayed here over a week and did not get any kind of great perks that a Four Seasons would offer. The internet connection is horrible, we lost electricity more than once and it just didn't seem like the staff really were as knowledgeable as they should have been. The perks are the pool and the location. But, we moved out after a week there to a cheaper hotel that had swift internet access, breakfast, (after spending a lot of money a night at the Four Seasons--you still don't get breakfast) and friendly faces who cared about us and our stay. Upon our check out at the Four Seasons people were friendly--maybe they were glad to see us go? LOL! Anyway, as I said, the pool is great there are views to top all views on top--but unless you are snippy and make a lot of noise, (we were not--others were) you don't get any service. The pool people were nice, but it seemed as if the rich, important noisy people got more attention than us. Ah well.

Room Tip: Choose one so that the giant crane isn't in your face the whole time!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank jacquelineNewYork
StefanSimkovics, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Beirut, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2012

Dear JacquelineNewYork,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to give your feedback following your recent stay in Four Seasons Beirut.

I am of course concerned to learn that your experience fell short of your expectations. Please accept my sincere apologies that you were left to feel disappointed on so many levels with our service, and the whole experience.

I can appreciate what an inconvenience this was for you.

We hope to have the opportunity to restore your confidence in Four Seasons Beirut.

Stefan Simkovics,