“Welcoming french charm”
Review of Couqley

Couqley
Ranked #18 of 962 Restaurants in Beirut
Cuisines: French
Good for: Large groups, Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions, Families with children
Description: Couqley is a French bistro located in 'The Alleyway' in Beirut's trendy Gemmayze district and in Blueberry Square in Dbayeh, just off the main highway. Couqley offers traditional bistro meals such as Steak Frites, Duck Confit, Foie Gras, Special Salads - prepared by Executive Chef and Co-Owner Alexis Couquelet. Open for lunch & dinner during the week and for brunch on the weekend, diners can choose from an extensive selection of accessible wines - sold at retail prices and not regular restaurant prices. Couqley's design is inspired by an artisan’s workshop and features a traditional hand-cut mosaic stone floor, marble & zinc bar and a charming outdoor seating area. Couqley is available to host your Special Events.
Reviewed December 15, 2012

It was over dinner with friends. We had:
Salmon tartare: very delicious, a sweet twist i would love it with little less oil
Grilled legumes side and pesto sauce: same little less oily will be better
Magret de canard
Salade de Chevre chaud
Pain perdu
Sorbets

The whole experience was great, however it was really cold outside and more inside:(
The waiters were present and helping BUT plz don't make diners feel they r there to eat and leave directly after, it's not a fast food joint so we want to take our time to cherish your food and also spend a nice quality time, so the mood swing of our waiter from welcoming to finally giving us dirty looks was not great:P
I asked for my dessert to be taken away, but the waiter was just giving excuses not to, imagine he said they have no containers for desserts?!Anyway i insisted so he put it in a food container, who says there are rules against take away?

But the overall experience was really nice and i would go again i just hope waiters change their attitude!

Reviewed December 5, 2012 via mobile

I came with my daughter and son in law over the holidays and had a great dinner at this bistro!

Ordered the foie gras, crab cakes, snails and a salad and it was all delicious!

Priced reasonably and will definitely go again!

Reviewed December 2, 2012

I have been to couqley around 3 times now and it's amazing! It's tucked in a small street in Gemmayze called The Alleyway (haha). It's a french bistro serving great food and delicious wines! A must try is the onion soup and the streak frites! Don't hesitate to try the duck as it is equally good but requires a certain taste! All in all its super delicious! and you must try their collection of french and italian wines! If you are more the 2 persons then it would be best if you make a reservation prior to your visit, if you are only 2 persons you should be fine getting a table as you arrive, they might ask you to wait for 15 or 20 mins if they have a full house.Also if its a Saturday try to book a table outside if it is not raining because its gets a little bit noisy inside. Price wise, its not too expensive! if you are 2 people ordering a bottle of wine, soup, 2 dishes and a dessert your bill is going to round up to $120-$130. TOTALLY WORTH IT!

1  Thank sirineg
Reviewed November 25, 2012

I heard a lot about this restaurant so I needed to try it. A cool atmosphere, a not very fancy decoration, and a friendly staff. It was a good start.
Appetizers ans salads were disappointing - except for the "poelee de champignons" that I ordered in both my visits. The foie gras was not even average!
But then came the main dishes, and it was worth waiting.
Couqley serves the best steaks in Lebanon, especially the cote de boeuf with pommes rissolées. It is a must-try for every meat-lover. The sauce of the Steak-frites and the entrecote is so delicious! If you don't like raw meat, you'd better ask for a medium-well. Duck confit was great as well.
And for the desserts, I still can't get over their creme brulee. It is simply amazing. The rest are not bad, pain perdu would be a good choice also.
I would go again for the creme brulee and to try more of their mains. It is expensive so it is not the place to go on a daily basis,
As for the starters, i think they should be improving them, to make the whole experience a great one for their clients :)

1  Thank ChristyAFarah
Reviewed November 24, 2012

First i am gonna start with the food: it was simply great
The service and the staff was exellent and so friendly
But they say one horrible experience can ruin your evening well it was simply the valet parking.
It was raining so i gave the car to them... When i went out with my fiancée they told me go and wait at the corner of the road 30 meters far from couqley main entrance... This is so unprofessional.
Than they just made me wait with my girl at the corner in the cold for 35 minutes i called the restaurant i talked with the manager i talked with the valet boy i even went back to the restaurant. I saw the manager he was helpless finaly i got my car after 35 minutes????????? I saw a lot of couples waiting outside with us at the corner and they where all complaining.... I don't know if the couqley owner or managers knows this.
It was a very pleasent dinner ruined by something very stupid i hope that couqley staff be aware of this major problem and fix it.
Personaly My relation is with the restaurant not with the valey.....thank you

Ziad K, Guest Relations Manager at Couqley, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2014

Many thanks for your constructive review, we really appreciate it.

Dear Mario,

We sincerely apologize for your below-standard experience; kindly extend our apology to your fiancé.

From your review, we can take action to ensure mistakes such as these never happen again. Without honest and constructive feedback from esteemed guests such as yourself we would not be able to continuously improve!

We would like to thank you again for your comment. We hope to see you again at Couqley.

Joelle