“2 Star Hotel (Nothing Boutique Here)”
Review of City Suite Hotel

City Suite Hotel
Ranked #59 of 116 Hotels in Beirut
Reviewed April 12, 2012

Beware the glossy website...

After having confirmed the reservation with the hotel via email, my boyfriend and I sent several subsequent emails to the staff requesting an airport pickup. After 3 days of no replies, we finally called them and were told that they had no record of our reservation. They did then confirm the reso and promise an airport transfer. Upon arrival at the airport, with no driver, we called again and were told that because we did not book through their online system, the arrangement with the driver had never been finalized. To their credit, they did upgrade our room as way of an apology.

My first impression of the room was the smell. I was immediately overwhelmed (it was breathtaking) by the sickly sweet odor of some second grade commercial cleaning product. Escaping this, the overall condition of the room was shabby at best, depressingly outdated and boasted a view of a parking lot and an enormous pile of rubble from the neighboring construction site.

All of this might have been forgiven in exchange for a prime location, but the hotel was situated well off from the central downtown areas (about an hour walk) in a section of town with not much to see and nothing to do.

Looking through the hotel guide in the room, it seems that bathrobes were to be included. Not only were there no robes, but there was only one bath towel provided in total.

The mattress was sub par and the pillows hard, although the linens were fine.

The bathroom was tiny, which is to be expected often with hotels of this type. However, I am baffled by the shower design. The shower head is situated directly in front of the shower curtain, so that as much as I tried to keep it aimed at the drain below, there was always a flood of water on the bathroom floor upon exiting...enough so that I had to use the bath mat as a mop and squeeze it out about ten times so that we could use the bathroom without wading through a pool of water. The glass wall which completed the enclosure was situated perpendicular to the shower head, rendering it useless.

All in all, we found the room depressing and strove to stay out of it as much as possible, returning only when we had exhausted ourselves. I don't often write reviews this harsh, but then I don't often have the misfortune of staying in hotels this disappointing.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank sselhorst
CSH-fcw, General Manager at City Suite Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2012

Dear sselhorst,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review. I am sorry that your stay at our hotel was not to your satisfaction. Although you did not confirm the airport pick up we still tried to make your stay as comfortable as possible by offering you an upgrade to a Suite. I can understand that you became frustrated when you arrived at the airport without confirming the pickup and had to take a cab to the hotel but I hope that this minor incident didn’t reflect on your view of Beirut and our hotel.

There are newer reviews for City Suite Hotel

Reviewed April 5, 2012

We stayed my wife and i at this hotel for a couple of nights just before Christmas.
The view from windows isn't so great, as the hotel is situated on an inner street.
Everything in the hotel is spotlessly clean.
Rooms are tiny, but contain everything you could need: kitchenette, comfortable bed, safe box…
Breakfast is satisfactory, with nice variety, and fresh orange juice.
The neighbourhood is ok. A super market, Starbucks few blocks away overlooking the sea, and the famous Raouche rock. There are also lots of eating and sitting places around.
5 minites by taxi and you are in the centre of Beirut.
You can hire a nice 2010 Mercedes for $110 which will take you every where and stays with you for 10 hrs with a nice drover (call Wissam +96176306085) .
I recommend this hotel for buiseness trips, short stays, shopping

• Stayed: December 2011

Dear ramelki ,
I am glad that you enjoyed your stay at City Suite Hotel and that you felt the facilities and amenities we offer were enough to make your vacation great! We pride ourselves on the cleanliness of our rooms and the service of our staff so thank you again for your lovely review.

Reviewed March 24, 2012

We were very impressed with the helpfulness of the staff, especially Joyce. Assistance was offered on tours, maps, car hire, taxis & restaurant advice. All without being pushy.
The room was fine, plenty of space. If possible get a room (if at the back of the hotel) that is high enough so that the diesel fumes & noise from the generator (that kicks in for the frequent power cuts) don't become intrusive. Shower was a bit cramped - only about 40-45cm between the taps & the shower curtain!
The breakfast buffet was very good, especially the Lebanese selection. And amazing jams! Bar was good value & comfortable for coffee & drinks, but was under used by guests so felt a bit lonely.
Location is good for walking to Hamra or Pigeon Rocks with lots of cafes & restaurants at both.
Only small complaint was that house-keeping was a bit erratic. We had a reliable supply of a bath towel each, but it was a surprise each day whether we would get a single hand towel or a bath mat or neither?!?!
Car parking was easy & free, but driving in Lebanon not recommended for the faint-hearted.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
CSH-fcw, General Manager at City Suite Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2012

Dear Valued Guest Electra88,

Thank you for your review of our hotel, we really appreciate all the points you made. We continuously strive to improve the quality of our service and we will make sure to re-assess our housekeeping procedures to ensure that all is according to the high standards that our guests have come to expect from City Suite Hotel.

We are pleased that you found our Front of the House staff helpful and welcoming, our rooms spacious and clean, our location ideal and our breakfast buffet of good vlaue.

We look forward to welcoming you again on your next visit to Beirut.

Smiles from City Suite Hotel

Fidaa Chehayeb Wahab

Reviewed March 12, 2012

The staff here were very welcoming, which was a change considering some of the customer service we received at several other Beirut hotels. The room was spacious and well worth the price. I will definitely consider staying here again. Excellent view of Roche; Short walk to Hamra shopping district.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with view of the Roche
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends

Dear Valued Guest ZahiaC,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of our hotel on Tripadvisor. We are very pleased to hear that your stay with us was up to your expectations and that you would consider staying with us again. We work very hard to ensure that all our guests receive the utmost in service, comfort, and hospitality, and we appreciate your positive feedback.
We look forward to welcoming you at our hotel for your next visit to Beirut.

Sincere regards,
Fidaa Chehayeb Wahab

Reviewed February 21, 2012

I just came back from Beirut and a stay in this hotel and it was very nice, I can't recommend it enough. Our flight got us into the city early, around 8am. The check-in time for the hotel was stated as 2pm, but we went by any way to see if we could leave our bags and maybe check-in an hour or so before two. Not only were they happy for us to leave our bags, they had the room ready by 10:30 and offered us breakfast and a free room upgrade.
The staff spoke excellent English and were very helpful with booking tours for us and giving directions. The room was clean and spacious, the bathroom was modern with excellent water-pressure and the minibar was surprisingly affordable. The breakfast was free and was my cup of teas, lots of olives, cheeses, cold meats and pastries. Hot food lovers will have a more limited selection, but as it’s included too much moaning would be unseemly. Also, it's available until noon for the late sleepers.
Before I booked up I was a bit worried about some of the reviews that commented on the construction going on near-by. As of February 2012 there was no immediately adjacent construction, but it's worth noting that the entirety of Beirut is a loud, honking construction zone. If this is the sort of thing that would ruin your holiday you might want to pick a different city altogether.
The location was very nice, close to the sea and Pigeon Rocks and about a 15 minute walk from the top end of Hamra Street which has lots of shops and restaurants. All and all a lovely place, will definitely recommend it and book it again on any future trips.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 3, 2012

I will preface this review that this hotel is very good value, great location with friendly as attentive staff. I can't say a bad word about the hotel HOWEVER you need to be aware of the day spa downstairs.

Whenever I am on holidays I always get spa treatments such as massages, facials etc and Beirut was no exception. When I saw
The brochure in the hotel for CITY SUITE SPA I thought it was great - a spa within the hotel. I booked in and went to my appointment. I felt an overly friendly strange vibe from the masseus and her hands were very interested in rubbing up against my... You know what... She then asked if I was married and I said yes hoping that would stop inappropriate massaging. It didn't. At the end she ask for tip for extra. I gave her a tip as I felt sorry for her and what she must do to most clients - she then poceeded to tell me that becuase I've paid the tip she must do exta. I left rather quickly and was very surprised that a Hotel Days Spa would be able to operate so unprofessionally.

My advice is that if you are looking for a 'run and tug' this place is for you. If you're looking for a genuinely relaxing spa experience - look elsewhere. Very unprofessional.

• Stayed: January 2012
2  Thank Kane1978
CSH-fcw, General Manager at City Suite Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2012

Dear Kane,

I would like to thank you for taking the time out of your day to write a review about our hotel. I am pleased that your experience at city suite hotel was pleasant. In regards to the Suite Spa please understand that it is not part of City Suite’s Management.
I have brought up your concerns with Suite Spa and they have assured me that an action will be taken towards that employee. This sort of unprofessionalism will not be tolerated by our hotel. We work very hard to provide our guests with great service and I would hate for one masseuse to tarnish our reputation.

Reviewed January 28, 2012

The location is in a great location, very convenient. The staff are very friendly & they offer great customer service. I enjoyed my stay in Lebanon this year in this hotel. I will highly recommend it to my friends here in US when they visit Lebanon.

Room Tip: Higher floors have a better view :)
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends