“Perfectly fine”

Ranked #20 of 116 Hotels in Beirut
Nicosia, Cyprus
“Perfectly fine”
Reviewed November 4, 2010

First of all, my travel agent got me a very good deal, so my stay was off to a very good start, and it basically stayed that way.
The room was good, and nothing was wrong with it. Maybe an overall deep clean would not go amiss, but that's the case in most hotels I stayed in. But everything worked, and it was a comfortable room with a nice bed. The photos on the site of the hotel are exactly what you get, by the way! No misleading elements anywhere.
Breakfast is very good, very friendly people serving, and the time slot for breakfast is very big: 6:30 to 10:30, I believe. Very convenient.
The location is pretty OK, in the middle between Hamra and the CBD, everything within walking distance (10 minutes or so). I can't say much about the facilities like bar, swimming pool and so on, the top bar is supposed to be nice but I was out and about my whole stay.
As for construction works: yes, they are working next door, both sides actually, starting at 7 am every day (incl Fri-Sat-Sun). But the noise is not terrible, and if you had a party night, you'll probably sleep straight through it, and if not, well, you should be out to enjoy this beautiful city anyway! (People on business trip will be up by then, I reckon.)
I do have to say that some people working at the checkin were either a bit curt or disorganised. I had to book my taxi to the airport three times. But in general, people were friendly.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
ramadadowntown, General Manager at Ramada Beirut Downtown, responded to this review, November 11, 2010
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor with regards to your stay at Ramada Downtown Beirut. I am glad to note that you enjoyed your stay with us and was satisfied from our Staff and Services.

Again, thank you for recommending our property on Trip Advisor and I look forward to welcoming you back.
Kind Regards
Yasmine Maalouf -General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Camberley, Surrey
Reviewed October 22, 2010

Stayed 2 nights here in October 2010. Firstly, the staff were all very helpful and very friendly and I cannot fault them. However, the location of the hotel is in the middle of several massive construction sites surrounding the place. Access to the hotel is very poor and limited. The construction starts around secen AM and ends around 7.30pm. DO NOT EXPECT TO HAVE A LONG LIE IN THE MORNING OR SIT ON THE BALCONY IN THE EARLY EVENING!!! As for the rest, the room was roughly what you would expect although the balcony door would not lock, the toilet had leaked and was constantly flooded around it, several lights, including the balcony did not work, the shower was rubbish going from too hot to cold constantly and on my last morning at the hotel, the bathroom was entirely flooded by some leak from some rooms above. All in all, nice hotel but as so often in Lebanon, they just haven't got it sorted properly!!

1 Thank Craigie
ramadadowntown, General Manager at Ramada Beirut Downtown, responded to this review, March 18, 2011
Dear Guest,

First, I would like to apologize for the delay of our answer, we usually thank all our guests who post their comments on Trip Advsior. We are sorry but it seems we did not see yours earlier.

I am happy to notice that you were satisfied from our Staff Service. All your comments regarding the room, the balcony door , the toilet leaks, lights, and shower water temperature were forwarded to the concerned departments for their immediate actions and improvement.

As for the noise, we have finalized our double glazed project in all rooms in December 2010, which decrease the noise to 70% from outside. And indeed for the location, we are working on it and we do hope to receive soon the authorization to place some signage to have access to the Hotel.

I hope this will not refrain you from coming back and we all look forward to welcoming you again to the Ramada Downtown assuring you of our best care and quality services.

If I can be of assistance to you, don't hesitate to contact me directly

Best regards

Yasmine Maalouf
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed October 18, 2010

This hotel is in downtown Beirut. There is a lot of constuction around but if you are out all day touring as I was you will barely notice. It was a convenient walk to many great stores, restaurants and placs of historical interest. Vestiges of the war are still apparent in downtown Beirut but I felt perfectly safe. The hotel staff was very friendly and very helpful. I could see the harbor from outside my window. I would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Lebanon and Beirut in particular.

Christine

UK
Reviewed October 7, 2010

As others have said, it is surrounded by construction so can't recommend if you intend to spend much time in your room during the day. However, for business travelelrs or tourists out and about this is a good find. It does have a boutique feel in the public areas with a good bar/lounge. The rooms are well equipped (although only a shower in my room). Free wifi throughout is always welcome. Would stay here again.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Oakland, CA
Reviewed July 15, 2010

While I would not go so far as the previous reviewer, who described this as a "boutique hotel," I do agree that it's a pleasant place with a nice staff. And it has a decent, central location in Beirut--the immediate areas is kind of sterile with few shops or restaurants, but perhaps a 10 minute walk away from such features and from the sea. The room was fine, though nothing special. Some cheesy music playing in the hallways, but you couldn't hear it in the room. Decent breakfast buffet.

The place is literally surrounded by construction sites, however. While I was there, they did not seem very active, so I can't say that I was bothered much--perhaps because part of the time I was outside of the room during the day, at meetings. But they could be a problem for other visitors.

More generally, for folks like me who had not been to Beirut before, the positive side of all the construction is that it's incredible how the city is being rebuilt after years of fighting. And there are many pleasant, beautiful and fun aspects to the town. I just hope it can remain free of further combat in the future.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
ramadadowntown, General Manager at Ramada Beirut Downtown, responded to this review, August 21, 2010
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor with regards to your stay at Ramada Downtown Beirut. I am glad to note that you enjoyed your stay with us and was satisfied from our Staff.
Thank you once again for recommending our property on Trip Advisor and I look forward to welcoming you back.
Kind RegardsYasmine Maalouf
Toronto
Reviewed March 27, 2010

I am a Canadian traveler and been at the Ramada Downtown Beirut for about 7 weeks now. When I first arrived, I was surprised the find that the hotel was not your typical, utilitarian business traveler Ramada. Instead, I found a boutque hotel with modern designs and furnishings.

The staff are SUPER nice and accomodating, I can't say enough about that. The front desk staff are extremely helpful and pleasant, as are the bar staff, and the same can be said of the roomservice. My room is comfortable and modern with free wifi.

The location is very strategic, in the heart of the downtown, just a five minute walk from trendy and authentic restaurants, first-class shopping, and the Jimmaizeh club disrict.

All in all, my experience at the Ramada has been an extremely pleasant and comfortable one. Everyone remembers your name and are genuinely happy that you're there. I would recommend the hotel to anyone planning on visiting Beirut for business or pleasure, and I plan to come back whenever I'm in town.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed February 27, 2010

I stayed for 2 nights at the Ramada this week. I thought the attention and friendliness of the staff was really good and I enjoyed my stay. I arrived quite late at night and requested an iron and ironing board - it arrived within 5 minutes. I was busy busy and on both nights I ate at the hotel restaurant . . .Confit du Canard on the first night, and Confit du Canard on the 2nd night because the Confit du Canard was so nice the first time. They arranged my taxi transfers from the airport (15 mins).

If there was one downside, it is that there is a lot of new construction going on in Beirut including the close vicinity of the hotel. It didn't bother me because I was in meetings all day and the work had finished when I got back . . .it could bother someone wanting just to relax.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business