Going through my usual check list
Transfer from Airport - efficient
Front Desk Check In - friendly, fast and they appreciated me being a Holiday Inn cardholder
Room - OKish. I specified no-no-no smoking but there were still traces of smoke (my ears getting itchy is a sure giveaway). Reception called a few minutes after to check-if the room was OK and said they would relocate me if there were any issues. I stayed put because I know all the rooms would be the same - inconsiderate people smoking in non-smoking rooms is a very Middle East thing.
Sleep quality - god bed with soft pillows BUT my room door was opened at 11.15 pm. Luckily I had the security bar on.
Security - not good. I told the concierge in the morning and spoke to the floor manager. No response.
Public areas of the hotel - lively but the entire hotel smells like an ashtray. This is not really the hotel management's fault but still, it means I don't spend any money in the hotel coffee shops.
Breakfast next morning - OK but it was a 'bring-your-own-attitude' buffet. You have to chase the waiters around to get rare and exotic items, like milk for coffee and butter. There is a smoking area in the breakfast room - which is a bit like a peeing area in a swimming pool.
I also had a complete stranger sit down at my 2 man table (in an otherwise empty restaurant). I told him to beat it as my 'gaydar' popped up.
Restaurant - Steak house. As expected, tough steak washed down with 3 non-alcoholic Buds. Standard Middle East fare. Service was good but the retaurant was almost empty.
Check out - efficient. Complained again about someone opening my door. No reaction.
Transfer to airport - efficient.
Decor was Rennie Macintosh (the famous Scottish architect). Odd but whatever,
The hotel is long overdue a refurbishment.
Price paid - 82.8 Kuwait Dinar, £170, $240 (approximate conversions)
General - all of the staff were extremely helpful and friendly.
Post visit note. The manager phoned later to say that investigation showed my door was opened at 11.15 pm by room service trying to deliver a fruit basket. At 11.15 pm and they didn't ring the door bell or knock? I'll take that at face value but I'm still suspicious.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Conveniently located minutes away from the famous Kuwait Beach Front as well as to a variety of entertainment spots including Al Shaab Entertainment Park, Cinema Halls, Bowling Courts and The Scientific Center. Holiday Inn Kuwait is situated along Kuwait’s premier shopping district, Salem Al Mubarak Street, with Kuwait International Airport a short 20 minutes’ drive away by our free shuttle service. We offer six specialty restaurants serving different cuisines from around the world, 22 conferences and meeting facilities, two stunning ballrooms and extensive free parking, and you may tune up in our 24 EDGE Fitness Center and relax at the outdoor swimming pool area. Holiday Inn Kuwait is one of the most popular hotels in Kuwait for business and leisure travelers who can get the most out of their business trip and enjoy the family-friendly atmosphere that we proudly have to offer. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Expedia, Priceline, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, IHG, Orbitz, Hotwire, getaroom.com, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and TripOnline SA so you can book your Holiday Inn Kuwait reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Kuwait Hotel Kuwait City
- Holiday Inn Kuwait City
- Kuwait City Holiday Inn
- Holiday Inn Kuwait Kuwait City