“A fusion of traditional flavours in a contemporary atmosphere”
Review of Edo

Edo
Ranked #73 of 699 Restaurants in Kuwait City
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed August 10, 2013

Edo is by far one of my favourite restaurants in Kuwait. I have often enjoyed the odd lunch break and dinner reservation, both for business and private engagements. In my opinion, Edo is the only genuine Japanese restaurant in Kuwait. The mere fact that the highly acclaimed Japanese born Shiro Aibathe (more than 30 years experience as a Chef in Japan, Thailand and Hong Kong) master-minded the menu is a testament to the mouth watering selections on offer. One might assume that one would have to be a sushi lover to enjoy the cuisine however, I am quietly confident that any sushi newcomer would soon find themselves a convert of appreciation to the delights of this ancient culinary art form.

The setting is a welcome escape from the usual visual overload of neon bombardments in the malls. The fact that it is slightly hidden from view behind a wall of a recessed garden means that the patron is temporarily transported to a world of tranquil relaxation. I have been dining at Edo for almost three years now and I especially enjoy the table settings in the garden during the cooler Winter months of the year. The interior has a simple, yet effective layout. The floor design offers an intimate setting fused with open plan dining. Your table will offer a personal space without intrusion, yet one's setting is not obstructed from enjoying the myriad of discreetly effective interior design touches.

The culinary experience is second to none. I have never been disappointed with the quality and freshness of the ingredients. In fact, I have been able to order a new selection of items on the menu at each visit and my pallet remains refreshed and pleasantly surprised with each bite. Every dish seems to bring its own infusion of tantalising flavours and the fact that such high standards of Japanese cuisine are available in the Middle East makes every visit as special as the last.

In terms of cost per person, I would say that Edo is average in comparison to Kuwaiti standards. That being said, you can comfortably enjoy a taste bud gratifying meal for two with KD40. Taking the quality and dining experience into consideration, I personally find the cost extremely good value for money. I think it is safe to say that KD20 per person will leave you more than satisfied with your choice of dining experience. Naturally, you are free to decrease and/or increase your costs according to your desired needs. All in all, the culinary experience far out ways the cost.

The images are comprised of one of the feature walls, the spicy crab salad and the green tea ice cream. I would like to highlight the following points:

1) The images do not do the restaurant any justice. They were hastily taken on an android mobile phone in between conversations. Kindly see them as a mere visually aiding appetiser to your impending visit.

2) I was only able to get a shot of the starter (spicy crab salad) and the desert (green tea ice cream) due to the fact that I was totally engaged and engrossed in the atmosphere and food. I completely forgot to take pictures of the remaining dishes. I knew I wanted to take this opportunity to review the restaurant and yet the experience was such that my mind was focused entirely on the food and company. I guess this says a lot in itself...

In short, they say you are only as good as your last performance and Edo certainly knows how to surpass that standard.

Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

I have tried many japanese resturants in kuwait, and i can say with confidence , no one can compete with Edo.. It is my favourate japanese resturant in kuwait for the last 10 years. It offers a real japanese food with no other additives. Shrimp tampora and shrimp tepenyake cooked in butter are really special. Atmosphere is elegent in a quit villa,and excellent service. I do visit it at least once a month and strongly advice for it

Reviewed May 25, 2013

A really excellent Japanese restaurant with really superb Sashimi. Very busy so you will definitely need to book. Definitely fun with a group of friends. Lots of different dishes to choose from - even for those who are not lovers of Sushi and Sashimi.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

Great food. We had the bento box which was one of the best we've tried. Sashimi was excellent - where do they get their fish?!

Service was fine but not stellar. Pricey but relatively easy to get a table unless you go on a Thursday night.

3  Thank ak47a
Reviewed January 10, 2013

I'm a Japanese food lover. I visited is two times and next time if I want to go Japanese I'll go the Edo. The location is nice 50 meters from the highway.

The food quality, the staff and the service are so good.

3  Thank Ahmed A