“Good but let down by some aspects”

Symphony Style Hotel Kuwait
Ranked #3 of 69 Hotels in Kuwait City
London, United Kingdom
“Good but let down by some aspects”
Reviewed January 30, 2013

The hotel as such is fresh, modern and quirky. The staff are very good and we had dinner in both restaurants, both fine. My only problem is the noise. The soundproofing is absolutely non existent, both from street noise and between rooms. Whilst I managed to put up with the outside noise, the couple in the room next to me might just as well have been in my room as I could hear absolutely every bit of their conversation and movements. I find it incredible that having spent so much money and care on the concept of the hotel, basic soundproofing was absolutely done away with. The other annoying thing is that taxi drivers have no idea where the hotel is. A hotel car was supposed to meet us at the airport but did not. Thankfully, the rep from the Sheraton was very kind and helpful and eventually rang the Missoni who said we should just use a limo car. So we went to get one but of the 10 cars or so available nobody knew the hotel nor wanted to take us there. After much pleading, one did agree to "give it a go" but it took us 1h30 to find the hotel compared to the 20 minutes it took on the way back to the airport... Good luck to you all if the hotel car is not there to meet you, even if you have agreed this in advance!!! Incidentally, we had the same problem with a taxi on our way back from the Soukh but thankfully I remembered that the hotel was close to the American University and when I said that to the driver he was then able to find the place.

Room Tip: Try and get as high as possible, it helps with the street noise...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Alfio B, General Manager at Symphony Style Hotel Kuwait, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Dear daniel_london_11,

Thank you for your kind comment about the hotel its staff and your dining experience in our restaurants, we appreciate you taking time for it.
We regret to learn about the issues you have experienced with our limousine pick up service and we sincerely apologize for it , we will be investigating this matter and take corrective actions accordingly.
When it comes to the Taxy drivers who do not know or pretend to ignore the location of the Hotel, unfortunately we have limited or no control over it.
As a matter of fact we have been reported the same issue on a previous occasion and also other hotels are affected by this problem in Kuwait, it very much depends on the experience of the driver and their general knowledge of the city.
To avoid the above, we highly encourage our guests to book a driver with us, this will ensure a consistent and trustworthy service.
Thank you again and I look forward to welcoming you to Hotel Missoni in the future.

Alfio Bernardini

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
  • Arabic first
Manama, Bahrain
Reviewed January 26, 2013

Very colorful hotel with beautiful views of the sea. Breakfast was lovely but Luna restaurant requires a larger seating area as we had to wait for a while to get a table. The only drawback in this hotel is the noise from the Arabian Gulf Street. They require sound proof windows.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Alfio B, General Manager at Symphony Style Hotel Kuwait, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Dear Mohammedaryan,

Thank you for your comments.
We are glad you enjoy the beautiful view that can be enjoyed from all our rooms at the Hotel.
We regret for the waiting time during breakfast , at the same time we will work on a solution that will contribute in avoiding the same.
Thank you again and we all look forward to welcoming you back at Hotel Missoni.
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed January 15, 2013

Seriously, the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in. EVER! I am sad that I only had one night in that bed. The hotel is very cheerful as soon as you walk into the lobby. Everything is so colorful and bright that it puts you in a good mood. The service was good and even the airport pick-up staff was well-dressed and extremely professional. The rooms is equally colorful and cheery and the view of the ocean is beautiful. One thing I liked was that the room rate includes everything including what is in the minibar. The problem is, the minibar is very poorly stocked. Breakfast was interesting, again because of the decor. The food was good, but nothing really to write home about.
Overall, a very pleasant experience and a hotel I would definitely come back to, with my own snacks.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Alfio B, General Manager at Symphony Style Hotel Kuwait, responded to this review, January 20, 2013
Dear Hamfob,
Thank you for your review.
We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us , we are also happy to hear your comments about the very comfortable bed, but most importantly about the overall experience, the design and most importantly the service.
Thank you for your inputs regarding the mini bar, this comes in complimentary with your room rate but we will make good use of your comment to discuss way of improving it, same thing for the breakfast.
We look forward to welcoming you back at Hotel Missoni again in the next future.
Reviewed December 9, 2012 via mobile

One of the very best hotels in Kuwait City. The location is excellent, the staff are extremely responsive and knowledgeable, the service and standards are way above a regular 5*. The spa was relaxing, Well done to the management team on a truly well run hotel. I will stay there again without a shadow of a doubt.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Alfio B, General Manager at Symphony Style Hotel Kuwait, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Dear Dan,
Thank you for your revue, we are glad you enjoyed your stay with us.
Your very positive comments are very valuable to us and a source of motivation, I will make sure we will share it among the team.
We look forward to welcoming you soon at Hotel Missoni Kuwait again in the future.
Best regards.
Doha, Qatar
Reviewed December 8, 2012

A cheap airfare, the prospect of catching up with an old friend, and the lure of a designer hotel were the perfect storm for this traveller.

I booked a cheap airfare to Kuwait, having been keen for some time to check out this hotel. And let me just say, the hotel itself is stunning. The Missoni style is everywhere from the huge pots decorating the entrance to the coffee cups in the room. It's a thoughtfully designed hotel - the rooms come with large and comfy beds facing the Arabian Gulf. A small sitting area with equally fabulous couches, a large screen TV and electric blinds make the room practical and stylish. Nice touches include a NEspresso machine (take note some other hotels who only put these in the suites).

The bathroom come with gold fixtures and hilarious kermit green loo paper! Fluffy towels, Missoni toiletries and size wise bath robes.

Other welcome touches include two way airport transfers, three pieces of laundry, minibar (dry) and breakfast are all included in the room rate. Amazing really. I had breakfast delivered to the room and it included coffee or tea, a basket of baked goods, preserves, a bowl of fresh fruit and yoghurt, cereal of my choice and fresh juice. These lovely additions were worth the room rate alone.

My rate also included a 50 min massage at the fabulous Six Senses Spa on site. The spa is, as expected, sleek and minimalist (and a little dark) but staff welcoming and well trained.

But for all these special touches, the hotel is let down by its service and staff. My arrival was less than stunning - a chaotic lobby and less than enthusiastic check in staff. Apparently there was a football tournament on and three national teams - Bahrain, Yemen and KSA - were staying in house. Which made for some lovely eye candy, but clearly threw the staff into a panic.

My room was on the fifth floor, had a great view but seemed to be smack bang in the middle of the visiting team's camps. The physical therapy and other coaching rooms were next to mine, which meant lots of foot traffic in my corridor, not very well thought out location for a single female traveller.

My attempt at trying the restaurant upstairs was Fawlty Towers style comical. I was told there was "one table left" and there was a "special buffet" tonight. The waiter then took off into the labrythine restaurant, sensing I had to follow him, luckily I did because I finally found the "buffet". Left to find my way back, I sat for a full 15 minutes before I managed to get the attention of a waitress for some water. They then promptly disappeared.

The food however, a Brazilian buffet prepared by a visiting chef, was excellent as was the stunning view across the Arabian Gulf. Bu again I had to hunt down a waiter for more drinks and then the cheque, which then came twice.

The following day, I approached a staff member for a later check out. By later I meant one hour. Iw as told "we're busy". When I pushed she said she had to "check with my manger" who was "not here, or maybe in a meeting". She was finally convinced to allow me the grace of an extra hour.

Anther staff encounter saw me ask one of the front desk staff to book me a driver for a meeting. I also asked for the hotel address in Arabic. He made a call then simply took off, leaving me standing there because he had other guests to look after. When I pointed this out, he said "I asked her (his colleague) to get you the card"....

My check out was much better thanks to the charming and dedicated Stefano who went out of his way to help me and make the process smooth.

In spite of the staff and service issues, I did enjoy my stay and would recommend this stylish hotel. Just make sure it isn't full when you book.

Room Tip: Go as for one of the larger rooms as they can be on the small side
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Dear Rachelannmorris,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments while staying with us.
We are glad to learn that you like our unique design as well as all the other extra services and features we are offering to our clients as a part of Missoni Hotel concept.
At the same time, we realize you have experienced some issues with our other services while staying with us.
The fact that we were dealing with a high demand day with a different client mix does not justify that the general level is not up to standard, please accept our apologies for not delivering consistently on this occasion.
At the same time, we would like to thank you for pointing that out in a very detailed way, this is a great help for myself and my team going forward.
Thank you for recommending us and we look forward to welcoming you back again at Hotel Missoni Kuwait.
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed November 28, 2012 via mobile

Had a one night stay in the hotel and rooms were very colourful however tasteful. I love the Maserati pick up and the blue toilet paper both firsts for me. Disappointed by the shower very poor and leaked onto the floor. Very comfortable bed and good linen.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Alfio B, General Manager at Symphony Style Hotel Kuwait, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Dear Madmoo1103,
We would like to thank you for your review.
We are happy to learn that you enjoyed our unique Missoni design and features, we are also pleased to hear about your Maserati ride from the airport.
We regret about your experience with the shower, our maintenance Team has been notified on the issue and we shall be following up correcting it.
Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you soon in Kuwait.
Amman, Jordan
Reviewed November 22, 2012

A pleasant surprise in Kuwait City: a 5-star hotel without the boring sameness of other better-known branded properties. Good food, very good service, excellent attention to detail. A global standard, but without the miserable plastic feel that others sometimes have.

Room Tip: Go for a high floor: the view is grand.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Abu G
Alfio B, General Manager at Symphony Style Hotel Kuwait, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Dear Abu G,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us.
I am delighted that you had an excellent experience at our hotel.

I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Kuwait shortly and thanking you once again for your valuable comments.
Warm Regards