“Very good hotel, but service is a joke”
Review of Escan Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tehran
Escan Hotel
Ranked #10 of 60 Hotels in Tehran
Kyiv
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,038 helpful votes
“Very good hotel, but service is a joke”
Reviewed February 11, 2011

LOCATION

My initial choice of Escan was based on one main criterion – convenient location close to the touristy sites I was going to visit in Tehran. Many museums, Grand Bazaar and Golestan palace are situated in either a walking distance, or in a short drive away from the hotel. For Tehran with its terrible traffic this is important, especially if you are here on a short stay, as most travellers are.

Except for the airport driver from IKIA, other taxi drivers had difficulties finding this hotel, located on the one-way Musavi (Forsat) street, at first attempt.

BOOKING AND CHECK-IN

Booked directly through the hotel’s web-site, then duplicated booking request by e-mail.

Got confirmation of the request receipt straight away. Booking confirmation (hotel voucher) came the next day, together with a surprising request to confirm I was also ready to pay full value of the previous day stay. Considering that I arrived at about 4 or 5am, this wasn't too fair. But Escan seems to be poplar among local business travellers and tourists (it was always busy), so perhaps it was worth it to guarantee a room.

Despite a very early arrival hour, check-in was smooth. Like everywhere in Iran, they keep your passport while you stay with them (though I wish I never left it there! – see below why).

There’s an elevator (lift) to get to the rooms. And a very nice porter will assist with the luggage.

ROOMS

I stayed in both single (caUSD 103, including taxes and breakfast) and double (caUSD148, including taxes and breakfast) rooms. For Tehran with its inflated accommodation cost, this is a good value. But because of the forced payment of the extra full day value, I rate “value” as average.

Both rooms are rather cosy, but single room and especially its bathroom is very small. Excuse the details, but the only way to comfortably sit on the toilette (European, by the way, with lots of toilette paper available) was with my head and feet placed inside the bathtube in front.

It was very hot in the single room, and there was nothing to do about it. The window, facing gloomy tiny courtyard, won’t open. And the AC, even in the “cool” mode, wasn’t cooling at all. Reduction of temperature brought the opposite effect, so I had to turn the AC off completely.

As a result, although the bed was rather large and comfortable, sleeping in the hot single room was not good at all. Synthetic pillow made it even worse.

The double room was wonderful and very spacious. And it was possible to open windows there. Sleeping was just perfect.

Both rooms had a TV with a very good signal, a mini-bar (with no liquors, of course) and a free WiFi. Selection of toiletries in the bathroom was very decent, too.

The room cleanness was outstanding. Very impressive for Iran with its largely relaxed service.

I strongly advise, budget permitting, to stick to the double room even if you travel solo!

Only because of my mixed experience (poor in single and perfect in double room), I rate “rooms” and “sleeping quality” as average. Double room was excellent in both terms.

BREAKFAST

This was one of the very rare hotels out of all I stayed in Iran, where a European-type breakfast of rather decent assortment was served, not a limited traditional Iranian breakfast.

Even muesli, yogurt and fruits were available. And coffee made here was not an instant Nescafe, but a natural one, not bad at all.

SERVICE

Now this is the worst part.

It was the first time ever in my life that in request for some assistance the hotel managers responded they won’t do anything because “we are busy here!”. I had to be a bit pushy to finally get some simple help.

Surprisingly, after firm persistence, the reception ladies did turn into highly accommodating and helpful. Should this have happened without my huge efforts, I’d call service very good. But getting it this way was unpleasant.

The worst happened at check-out, when they “lost” my passport. Fancy that: in the beginning of the journey all over the country, at a very early hour, with my domestic flight taking off shortly, the hotel won’t find my passport for a really long time. Turned out it was mistakenly placed to the wrong drawer. Some very stressful wait, to say the least.

RECOMMENDED?

Despite mixed service quality I can still recommend this hotel for its excellent location, clean cosy rooms and in principle good value.

• Stayed December 2010
9 Thank Cora_v

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Turkish first
Valencia, Spain
Reviewed January 24, 2011

This Hotel is perfect for Business travellers, but not only for them. You have everything necessary. A cozy and very clean hotel room with free internet access. The speed for Iranian circumstances is really high. The food is very good. Eat the chocalate biscuit cake for dessert. It is in the center of Tehran; keep in mind that this city is huge, the traffic horrible and it really helps to stay in a centric place, close to the Ferdowsi Square Metro Station. But more then anything, the staff. They were amazing, very generous and helpful.

I had reserved a two night stay in the hotel and arrived their at 7:30 in the morning of my first night. They offered to me, the first night of the room for free, without charging me not even an early check in. Of course I was pleasantly surprised. But through my stay at the Hotel I had contact with 4 ladies at the front desk and each one of them did their best tomake my stay a "gusto".

I am happy because I certainly found my hotel to stay at, each time I visit Tehran for business or maybe leisure. I definetly recommend this Hotel.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank sa07032014b
Rasht
Reviewed January 21, 2011

Last weakened we have been back to Escan Hotel after about 2 years,and it’s still high on the top of it’s game.

Polite friendly staff, good food,excellent service,very clean and well furnished rooms,comfy bed,nice cozy atmosphere,free internet access,many news paper and magazines available in the lobby, good location(10 min walk to metro station) all make this hotel our favorite.

We enjoyed our stay there,and we’ll always consider this hotel as our first choice in Tehran.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Firoozeh
Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed January 13, 2011

I have been in iran for more than 10 years and I have been in many hotels in Tehran. I never heard of Escan hotel until I saw the reviews in this site. After the reviews I planned to stay 2 nights in Escan hotels, but after the experiences I lived there, I decided not to go there again. I will check the exact days and I will write it in my next review.
Here is one of my experiences: I went down to hotel restaurant to order for a salad. Nobody was there, later a waiter (an employee) came and sat on employee table. He didnt care about me, I kept waiting, then I called him, but he did not come, and he called me back to come to his table. A WAITER CALLING A CUSTOMER TO HIS TABLE???? in a hotel? I did not believe my eyes. Anyway I went to him and ordered for a salad and salad came after some time. Later I heard that he is not the waiter, he is the guy who is responsible from restaurant (kind of restaurant manager), thats why he didnt take my order. Next day I reported to desk office, I filled 2 pages customer complain forms, I gave my iranian mobile number and my email ( I can speak Farsi) But Nobody called me, nobody sent me email, now how can you advertise this hotel as an Excellent hotel, there must be a missunderstanding. I never go that hotel again, I do not recommend anybody!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
5 Thank Cem01
Vancouver
Reviewed December 8, 2010

Stayed here for 5 days on the start of a trip around Iran. Great location, super comfortable rooms, excellent staff, free internet. Good food too! Staff went out of their way to make our stay special. Highly recommended.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
HK
Reviewed October 7, 2010

Reservation - I made my reservation through their website - escanhotel.com (published rate at US$144 per night for a double room). Have tried to get quote from agency but the price is even higher !
Location - about 10-min walk to metro (station : "Darvazeh Dowlat" on the Red line)
Hotel - modern design, clean room and comfortable bed
Internet - provided with free wireless internet in room and there is also free PC on the upper floor of the restaurant.
Restuarant - Good breakfast and western dishes available for lunch and dinner. Live piano performance in the evening.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mickey_Lam
San Francisco, California
Reviewed March 30, 2010

The hotel is clean and modern. I found the staff to be very polite and helpful. I enjoyed the free breakfast; especially the bread options were great. The location is close to the metro system and the staff will be more than happy to get you a taxi. It is located in central part of Tehran; my room was in the back of the building so I did not hear the traffic. You have to let them know during the check-in for a non-smoking room or might get one. This is not a JW Marriott but then again JW cost me $275 + Tax per night. I would say for the price it is a very good hotel.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
3 Thank baaleh

Been to Escan Hotel? Share your experiences!