“Nice room, average hotel”

Ranked #17 of 133 Hotels in Manama
Dhahran
“Nice room, average hotel”
Reviewed August 25, 2007

I have just come from a two night stay in bahrain with my wife and 2 years old daughter. Overall, the stay was worth it but I have few concerns. To be fair about this hotel, I decided to comment on the aspects I think are worth mentioning:

1- Location:
As written by other reviewers, the location of the hotel is perfect, in the seef district right next to the top shopping malls in bahrain.

2- Room:
The room was the best thing about this hotel, although it says one bedrom in the website, I have to say it's more of a suite. There is seperate lounge/kitchen and they provide you with everything you need.

3- Breakfast:
The breakfast was average, not alot of varieties, the waiters weren't available all the time.

4- Room service:
It happened that we had our lunch late so when we were hungary again, most of the resturants were already closed. So we thought we had to order something from the hotel. We ordered chicken wings and Pizza Margirita. The food was VERY expensive and the quality was below average. I even felt that the checken wasn't fresh!

4- Check in/ out:
The check in was better than expected, we were kindly greeted by the staff and they offered us lemonade juice and choclates as compliment. But during check out, we were rushed to leave the room which was somehow annoying.

Overall, if you are looking for a nice and reasonably priced hotel, go for Mercure though don't expect much in terms of service. If you're looking for a luxury 5 star hotel, then you don't have any choice other than the Ritz.

• Stayed August 2007
2 Thank globe_traveller06
Yasser B, General Manager at Mercure Grand Hotel Seef, responded to this review, October 30, 2012

Greetings from Mercure Grand Hotel Seef.

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Mercure Grand Hotel Seef. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At Mercure, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. I will highly appreciate if you can send me back by return email more details about your experience, please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence.

yasser.bahaa@accor.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
London
Reviewed May 10, 2007

This is a really new hotel set near some great shopping malls. The locality is very new which means that there is some empty desert areas around but I'm sure that they'll be covered by buildings soon. The hotel itself is quiet and has a small pool on the rooftop where you can get a good view over the newer parts of Bahrain.
The rooms themselves are truly massive with a lounge and dining area and kitchen provided with lots of cupboard space and utensils. Hot plates, microwaves, and refrigerator with ample bench room make staying here very easy, especially if you have a car to go across the road to the mall on the other side of the highway where there are groceries and supermarkets. The nearby malls on this side of the highway are all boutiques and the like, but they do have some good kids entertainments and clothes shopping as well as eateries. I really really liked the rooms and spaciousness and had a relaxed two month stay in this hotel, well recommended for size and finish to the rooms.

• Stayed November 2006, traveled on business
Dear Mr. Dwarts,

Greetings from Mercure Grand Hotel Seef.

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Mercure Grand Hotel Seef. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 8, 2007

As with most Mercure properties, this hotel is largely designed and decorated according to local style and tastes. The room was more like a 1 bed apartment with full kitchen, dining area, lounge with CD player and en-suite bedroom.

Breakfast is very good quality (though small selection) buffet and room service offers a decent selection of reasonably-priced Western and local fare. The outdoor pool is nice and there is a spa offering massages and facials.

In terms of location, Bahrain's 2 biggest shopping malls are right next door (the Seef mall and Ali mall) but eating options are few and far between compared to Manama. The Seef area is good for business travellers as it's located within walking distance of major banks such as HSBC, Citi and Amex.

• Liked — Massive room
  • Disliked — Not great location unless you specifically need to be in Seef district
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
Dear Mr. and Mrs. Steve,

Al-Khobar, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed March 26, 2007

If you're visiting Bahrain, don't go anywhere else, this is the best place to be!

As soon as you enter the hotel - you'll feel like you're home... if you like the exteior, check out the details of the interior. The rooms are huge which equal the size of Suites in other hotels already. The best thing - it's just beside the 2 world-class shopping malls in Bahrain.

I do give credit to the staff for being so courteous, presentable and hospitable... Hat's off as well to their Asst. Sales Manager, Hishma Ahmed - someone the hotel should promote to Hotel Manager!

Our company always use Mercure for all our visiting VIP guests, international trainees and meetings - and all have good memories to share.

To sum up, this hotel will not let you down.

P.S. Buffet is sumptous, thanks to their resident chef, Neil.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — The Elevators
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled on business

USA
Reviewed March 18, 2007

The good: Great decor; large rooms; very nice rainfall showers; located right next to the Seef Mall.

The bad: Room smelled unfresh; breakfast buffet was sub-par; doors are very heavy and wake you up when they close on your floor; concierge didn't hold open the door for my wife who was weighed down with baby gear.

Overall I don't think it was a great value for the money.

• Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
Dear Mr. McElian,

Sweden
Reviewed January 15, 2007

I have moved to this hotel from Elite Suites because it offered me an Internet service from my room. I have really enjoyed my stay and I was treated really well.
This hotel offers comfort and a four star treatment because of young and caring managers (Bashar). Talk to him if you are experiencing any problems and he will treat you well. I promise that you will not regret your stay at this hotel.

• Liked — Space and cleanliness
  • Disliked — Internet connection
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank hanad97
Dear Mr. Hanad,

Doha, Qatar
Reviewed November 28, 2006

Booked through the Accor website. Expected a run of the mill hotel room but instead, as described by the previous reviewer, we stayed in a luxurious suite. Huge kitchen/dining/lounge area, separate bedroom and large bathroom with full bath, a shower cubicle that could fit 4 (if that's your thing) and one of the largest shower roses I've ever seen. There was a jug in the kitchen but the hotel didn't provide tea or coffee sachets which seemed odd.
Check in and out was smooth and they stored our bags for us after check out so we could see the sights before flying out in the evening.

• Liked — luxurious room
  • Disliked — hard to get taxis
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple