“Year-end delight”

Ranked #9 of 132 Hotels in Manama
Tiffin, Ohio
“Year-end delight”
Reviewed January 5, 2011

Perhaps the nicest hotel in Bahrain. Comfortable rooms (though the beds are on the hard side) with free Internet and all the better amenities. First class club lounge with really pleasant staff - but that is also a main attraction of this hotel - smiling genuinely pleasant and helpful staff - no exceptions! The Spa is also world class with world class massage and spa facilities. Hotel location is excellent. There are renovations ongoing and we will be back when they are completed. A neat place to go to see in the New Year.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
RickErdos, General Manager at The Diplomat Radisson Blu Hotel, Residence & Spa, responded to this review, January 5, 2011
Dear ExpertComptable

We are very pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay with us.
Thank you for the warm comments about the Hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Diplomat Radisson Hotel, Residence and Spa Bahrain.

Rick Erdos
The Diplomat Radisson Hotel, Residence and Spa Bahrain

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Va Beach
Reviewed December 15, 2010

I stayed at the Dip about 6 months ago and I said I'd probably pick another hotel next time I am in Bahrain. I should have. I am a non smoker and unfortunately, I was given a room reeking with cigarette smoke. I tried for 3 days to get moved to a non-smoking room but I kept getting the same response - "We do not have one available" - which is hard to believe. I had to ask housekeeping to spray the room with some kind of scent to mask the smoke smell. I never saw a smile out of the reception desk staff. Actually, a couple of them were bordering on being curt, as if I was bothering them. The General Manager sent me a survey via email. Needless to say, the survey reflected poorly on the hotel. The only positive thing I could say about this recent stay was that the housekeeping staff kept the room clean and was very responsive.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
RickErdos, Manager at The Diplomat Radisson Blu Hotel, Residence & Spa, responded to this review, December 20, 2010
Dear E9erX30

I would like to thank you for taking the time to write the review.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the poor handling of your room request. I have taken the liberty of discussing the issue in detail with the relevant departments. I was pleased to read your positive comments about our Housekeeping team.

We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to The Diplomat Radisson Blu Hotel, Residence and Spa Bahrain.

Regards,
Rick Erdos
The Diplomat Radisson Blu Hotel, Residence and Spa Bahrain
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed November 10, 2010

I stayed in this hotel with my husband who was on a business trip to Bahrain. The rooms were spacious, and beds and piillows were very comfortable. It would have to be the cleanest hotel I have ever stayed in! Staff were very professional and courteous and as we were there for four nights, even remembered our names when we went down for breakfast! We had dinner at the Mondo Bar Italian restaurant, and the food and service were excellent. There are a number of restaurants to choose from. Breakfast was very nice, with many choices with the buffet. Coffee was mediocre though! but that is being picky.

The pool area was lovely, and you can order drinks and food at the poolside cafe.

The only complaint I may have had with the hotel was that the check in and check out took ages! I would recommend this hotel to either business travellers or holiday makers.

The hotel is just across the freeway from the National Museum, which is definitely worth a visit.

My husband and I had lunch at Cafe Lilou in Manama, which was fantastic. The cafe is reminiscent of a 19th century Parisian brasserie and as well as beautiful surrounds, the food was excellent. We chose it as we were wandering past, as there were alot of Arabs seated in the restaurant, so we thought that we would go where the locals go, as they would know! Try the many fruit juices, they were divine! The restaurant itself is not licensed.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Qatar
Reviewed September 28, 2010

Where do I even begin with this one?
The hotel did not have my reservation on file. I presented them with a print copy of the confirmed booking to which they still insisted I did not have a reservation. The rude, ignorant, and terribly slow check in person (Sandeep was his name I believe) then disappeared into the back room for an extended period of time only to emerge all smiling. He pointed out that it was my mistake and the booking was for September 23rd. I replied ‘Great’. He again repeated that I had no reservation because the booking was for the 23rd. I again said ‘Great, give me my room’. At this point he was frustrated and angry. He raised his voice and said ‘You are not listening to me…your booking is for September 23rd’. At this point I was frustrated and yelled: ‘TODAY IS SEPTEMBER 23rd!’ He again disappeared into a back office for another extended period of time to emerge and begin to slowly process my room. He insisted on asking my every detail despite having the booking and all the information right in front of him. Even with asking me the questions he mistakenly booked me in for one night and not two like I reserved. I have never encountered a more useless, rude, unfriendly and incompetent check-in agent in all my travels – and I spend approximately 5 months a year in hotel rooms. This guy was unbelievable. Check-in took approximately 30- 40 minutes to complete.
I was then told I was upgraded to a ‘club room’ for the troubles. Good thing – the only difference I could see from the standard rooms I stayed in the past and the club room was this room had ‘Royal Club’ embroidered in the towels. Not so nice was the hair still on the floor of the bathroom and the used (not by me) hand-cream. How nice (arrgh!). Good lesson though – do not waste your money upgrading to as club room at this hotel as it is not worth it.
To make matters worse, over the course of the weekend the assistant manager and the manager called to apologize. Nice gesture but in both cases I pointed out that my frustration was no longer surrounding the lost booking (we all make mistakes) but rather with the useless and unfriendly staff member. Neither manager appeared to understand even after it was explained to them. They both repeatedly apologized for the booking and forgot my main issue of the incompetent employee.
Other hotels – such as the Gulf Hotel - offers far superior service and much nicer rooms. Think I will stay there instead on my next visit. I recommend you do too!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
3 Thank DohaWanderer
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed September 23, 2010

Use to stay here 2003-2005 and hotel was a little aged. They have remodeled and added a residential apt bldg next door. I stayed 10 days, used their daily free shuttle to my place of business, the day spa and two of the five restaurants. Room was very well equipped, good task lighting, large desk and internet access. My room included a free breakfast and internet with rate.

Restaurants were both good (Italian and the Asian place). Food was well priced.

Day spa was standard, but the massage was super good !!! I didn't use any of the other jacuzzi, etc. but they seemed a little small. Only thing i didn't care for was paying up front for the service. Really didn't allow for tipping on credit card or room card; but i read reviews so i was aware and brought some cash with me. Tipping is not normal for Bahrain but all of these employees are either European or SE Asian.

Room services were amazing. We had a guy dedicated to our floor, always available and on call. He came by a couple of times a day for various things (make up room; ice for evening; turn down services; remove tray, etc.) can't say enough about the great on top of everything service he gave (6th floor) !!

Pool area is nice, but there is some construction down the street and a few times it got a little dusty in the pool area.

Separate gyms for men and women --- which was very nice. Their hrs were very good too 6am to 10pm.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 22, 2010

The hotel was excellent. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The rooms are well equipped and offer everyhting that you would expect from a 5star hotel. The addtional facilities in the hotel, such as the choice of restaurants, leisure etc were very good.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
Doha
Reviewed September 12, 2010

Bahriain was a new city on my business travel schedule, I went with a name I usually could trust -Radisson. I made a mistake. I am a 100 nights a year traveller. Trouble began when I drove to the hotel from the airport -Zero Parking. I parked a Kilo away from the place. At check in, I reviewed the rate I was signing in for and it was diferent from the agreed rate I had from the Hotel's website. I presented documents to the contrary of their rate, Check in would not honor the website contract. I asked for the MGR, but they could not find him/her. It was late, I "negoiated" a meet me halfway solution because I was tired from the flight- I should have walked. The room was terrible, A/C was intermittent and went off when you left the room - TIP Get two key cards when you check in, leave on in the room slot so A/C stays on when you are out. Chunking or absent tile in the bathroom, shower was dangerous for slipping, stains on counters in room, concrete beds, no movie selection, poor lighting. I did the spa, it was low class. You pay before treatments, the jacuzzi is a plastic weak-jet tub that is croweded when two people are in it. Check out was another haggling episode, I had the Room and Breakfast plan, but the clerk had me paying for the breakfast, I negoitated this off my check out bill. The true good thing about this hotel is there are plenty of places to drink alcohol, not my thing on business trips but that is their true niche in the Bahraini-ME market. Not a business or spa hotel, but a place to party and crash. Like a good two star hotel, for a five star price though. Avoid

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business