The Diplomat Radisson Blu Hotel, Residence & Spa
Agoda.com
$124
$117
Priceline
All reviewsroyal clubkontiki restaurantolivos restaurantirish pubkon tikinice pool areaclose to the airportnice hotelthe executive loungeduring ramadanpool sidestandard roomrooms are comfortableroom serviceclub roomvisiting bahrainbusiness trip
Reviewed July 10, 2012

Pros:
perfect location
great rooms
amazing facilities
excellent staff
impressive breakfast spread
comfortable stay
Cons:
No cotton buds or tooth paste available

Room Tip: The rooms are all quiet. We were in 412 and it faced the pool so that was a nice one
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 9, 2012

This is a nice hotel in the Diplomatic area of Manama. While not a new facility it is well maintained. There are two towers; one hotel rooms and the other small apartments. I was put in a one bedroom apartment with a full kitchen, living room and 1.5 baths. Maybe because I was a Club Carlsen member. They have a great pool area with plenty of shaded areas to stay out of the strong sunshine.

There is a Indoneisian restaurant and an international buffet. Also an Irish pub with biig screen TV's. I enjoyed my stay but it was rather far from the entertainment in the Juffair area. The taxi to the City Center Mall was only 5 bdh and that Mall has everything one could want in a shopping experience - even an indoor waterpark and a bowling alley.

My one complaint was the lack of a top sheet on the bed. They only use a duvey and I wonder if it was laundered after the last guest had it up against their body.

Room Tip: ASk for the partment tower.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 29, 2012

Visited the Radisson Blu for Friday Brunch on Friday, 18 May 2012 with some friends (15) from work. For those who do not know the 'Friday Brunch' is very popular with ex-pats working in the Middle East and most good hotels and restaurants have one.
This was my first visit to this brunch. The brunch is held on the top floor of the hotel which provides excellent views over Bahrain and the Gulf.
From 12.00 to 15.00 you can eat and drink as much as you want with a limited menu selection - compared to other brunches I have been to in Bahrain. A very nice fresh noodle station and a roast station, on this visit was serving roast beef and salmon. Sushi station was limited; no sashimi and the self service food options were limited, though the bar-b-q pork ribs were lovely. No lobster or fresh fish to be freshly cooked were on offer as well.
Draught bitter and lager form the basis of alcoholic drinks, along with sparkling wine red and white wine and a Mojito station. As Spitfire was on offer and being a bitter beer drinker I asked for a pint but when it came it was chilled as cold as ice and cloudy so I only had one pint! It isn't really a brunch for children, as there were no activities to keep them amused.
Entertainment was initially a singer with his guitar, while guests ate and then a DJ, who was very funny, played requests and included drinking games in his 'act' to build up the atmosphere. The brunch finished spot on 15.00hrs and we were all out of the restaurant twenty minutes earlier, whereas other brunches I have been to allow guests to leave slowly. All in all not the best brunch I have been to, and costly at Bd27.00, though the views were fantastic.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank Chris P
Reviewed June 22, 2012

I stayed for 5 nights from 9th June 'til 14th June at the Diplomat Hotel for about the 12th time, my last visit being during September 2010 (i.e since the well-documented troubles/disturbances encountered during the course of 2011 and beyond). The hotel occupancy was way down on what I had previously encountered and there was generally a kind of empty, isolated feel about the place.. Away from the re-vamped, glitzy facade of the main hotel and its ancillary buildings, there's an overall sense of a hotel approaching its twilight years .. the corridors are gloomy and the rooms are comfortable but tired. The service isn't really that bad either and the food is still quite tasty too .. Overall though I suppose my criticism is muted, as the Diplomat to me is rather like an old friend who you know was once really very fit and able but in their declining years you're just too polite to pay too much attention to it .

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 8, 2012

First stop in a Radisson and now I understand why they tell you to stay with the known five star brands - it matters to know what you get served as five star..

I stayed in the hotel with my colleagues for three days and was hugely disappointed. The building and exterior was impressive - but interiors and the room showed the sign of an old hotel hastily renovated to call it a five star. The tab of 102 BD/ night ( = USD 270 ) is too steep as well.

The room was comfortable but sparse to be of a five star.TV channels were very limited and minibar had a lock and key ?

The service was also lacking to be called a five star. Even the amenities were pricey but not up to mark. We booked a meeting room - where we were left on our own, with no attendent most of the time. The simple courtsey of good morning was also missing most of the time.

The breakfast was nice - the spread was big and they had a live counter dishing out the normal egg routine - but all it needed to order an egg benedict to fracture them. They took 30 minutes and 2 reminders to serve this. I understand it is not normal of hotels to have benedict served through live counter - but then if you have it in menu - how can you dont keep it.

Had dinner at pool side asian resturant of theirs and it was nice - beer was chilled, glass noodles were good and duck was also very well done.

The worst of the trip was faced in check out - where they fauxed up and let one of my colleagues walk through - and charging his stay to me. They had not bothered to inform me - and there was no hint from our end to tell them that we were connected - we came from different locations, from different companies and also different check in and check out. Best tey never intimated but loaded a 300 BD charge oin my room and when I told it was inappropriate - there was no senior management available to listen and resolve this.
Overall - I wont say the hotel is bad - but given my experience - would suggest to go next door to crownee plaza - which is similarily priced and may be better behaved - afterall, they know their hotels.

Room Tip: Do you still want to be there - then look for the rooms with odd numbers as they face outside
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
The Diplomat Ra... n, General Manager at The Diplomat Radisson Blu Hotel, Residence & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2012

Dear Mr. Verna,

I was deeply concerned to read your constructive comments about the Diplomat Radisson Blu, Hotel Residence & Spa. I have taken your comments on board and will be discussing such with our team to ensure that services will improve.

Please accept my sincere aplogies for not meeting your expectations. I will be contacting you directly in due course.

Kind Regards