“Good, if you know what you're looking for”

Golden Tulip Bahrain
Ranked #45 of 132 Hotels in Manama
Hyderabad, India
“Good, if you know what you're looking for”
Reviewed June 13, 2010

I originally stayed at this property when it was still the Hilton, at a time when my employers had a special deal with the Hilton chain. Later, had to spend a couple of long-ish stays in Bahrain, and went back because it was quiet and familiar. On realising that I was spending longer than the average guest, the hotel gave me a special long-stay rate - which I have to stay was a very good rate indeed.

I see that many other travellers have had negative experiences; I had a broadly positive experience. While the hotel definitely has some rooms that need refurbishing, it seemed to me that they use those rooms primarily for airline crews and similar guests. I had rooms in good condition, and received good service.

In particular, because I was staying a relatively long time, I was eating light - ordering only an appetiser course. When the chef realised that I was eating only an appetiser, he proceeded to make special ones for me, larger than the regular helping and perfect for my purpose. Also, as I was regularly working late, they occasionally kept the pool and gym open for me a little longer than the usual closing time.

Overall - not the right place for anyone expecting flawless luxury; but if you know what you are looking for, and ask nicely, I found I got everything I wanted.

• Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank Non-Red-Indian

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Ibiza, Spain
Reviewed May 17, 2010

I stayed 1 night at this hotel last December.
The hotel is about 10 minutes drive from the airport and about 10 minutes walk to the zouks and there is an upscale mall right in front of the hotel.
To get to larger malls you will need a taxi which are rather affordable in Manama.
The hotel is a bit outated but is well mantained.
My room was on the ground floor facing the gardens and tennis court.
Breakfast buffet was really good with plenty of choices.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo
saudi arabia
Reviewed May 16, 2010

I am sorry for every penny i have spent in this hotel. Smelly lobby. Bad furniture. dull and boaring rooms. high price tag that i cant find any justfication for givin the room quality. if there is a plus in this hotel, i would say the location and the japanese rest. in the ground floor.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Northern California
Reviewed April 5, 2010

This is a three-star hotel that badly needs to update its fixtures and furnishings. I'm really only picky three things in a hotel: it has to be quite (this one is), you have to be able to work effectively in the room (middling), and the bed has to be comfortable (no). At a minimum, they should spring for decent pillows and mattresses.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
UK
Reviewed April 4, 2010

Having checked the cancellation conditions, I cancelled a booking with almost 1 month notice and received a confirmation that no charges would be made. 2 days after the original check-in date the hotel made an unauthorised "no show" charge on my credit card. I immediately contacted them by e-mail and no reply. I then contacted Booking.com who replied and indicated they would pursue this.... no news. I called in to the hotel when I was staying in another hotel on business on 2 occasions subsequently, provided them with all the paperwork and was told the charges were incorrect and reservations department would rectify it.... nothing. I again tried to contact by e-mail. Now 4 months on...Sometimes one gets a very bad feeling about a company's attitude towards its customers, so on principle I cannot consider staying there again and hope some more poor reviews will result in a change of management. This hotel gets zero stars unless they can start to behave in an honourable manner.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank UkBuzz99
UAE
Reviewed March 13, 2010

I recently attended a conference in Bahrain and was put up in the Golden Tulip. Never again. On arriving at the hotel reception we discovered that they had made an error with the booking. No 'Non Smoking' rooms left despite this being what I specifically requested. The bell hop then showed us to our rooms, at the same time he was showing a local to their rooms. We got half way and he just pointed down a corridor saying that they were down there. Wrong corridor. Wrong floor. The rooms both reeked of cigarettes were old and jaded. The kettle didn't work. The standard light did not work. The TV remote didn’t work. Nothing worked. A charge of £20 for 24 hours internet usage! The bed felt as if the mattress was stuffed with particularly lumpy potatoes. The restaurants in the hotel proved to be over priced with food of consistently poor quality. The bar was full of nationals all drinking whilst ogling the young lady singing on stage. The TV in the bar was playing movies of a very dubious nature. Not recommended. On the morning of the check-out we asked at reception how we joined the 'complimentary' bus to the airport, we were told, with a smile, that we should have booked a day in advance. Nowhere was this written. I have stayed in numerous hotels in Bahrain and this was definitely the worst of them all. Avoid.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
London
Reviewed February 12, 2010

$40 USD for one day internet is just too much.

A very ordinary 5 star hotel. trade down to a 3 star and get better service and reasonably priced internet

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo