“Fair hotel but "overstared"”

Golden Tulip Bahrain
Ranked #44 of 133 Hotels in Manama
Budapest
“Fair hotel but "overstared"”
Reviewed September 30, 2013

This was a fair hotel. Really... nothing was very wrong with it, but it was a five star hotel maybe at the end of 70s or the beginning of the 80s. Room was okay, staff was nice with me. I have attended a conference, so I was not really looking for anything special, I just needed a place to sleep.

I do not know if rooms are all smoking rooms but I received a smoking one and it was not very good to be in constant slight smell.

However I really think that they should review their rating since it is misleading. If they would go for a four start than complaints would be less.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Nottingham
Reviewed September 27, 2013

I was booked into the Golden Tulip by the client I was visiting in Manama as it was close to their location. I had read the reviews on tripadvisor and I wasnt expecting great things, but unfortunately the hotel was even worse than I expected and far worse than similar rated properties in the middle east. The hotel is badly in need in renovation, I was informed by the management that they are going through a program of renovation floor by floor but in my opinion they would be better served knocking it down and starting again. The hotel arranged pick up from the airport which they were late for, the hotel and lobby appeared dated and had a horrible damp smell. I tried to tell the staff that I had a loyalty club membership but I dont think their english is great even though they are very polite and friendly as often information was just not forthcoming or questions i asked were ignored. In the end I gave up with this. My room was on the 5th floor next to an executive lounge for the floors above which I never saw anybody use the whole time i was there. In fact the hotel never seemed very busy during my 4 night stay. Despite asking for a non smoking room my room had ash trays in it and everything in it was dated and stained. The walls had stains and marks on them, the fittings were old with two lamps being broken. The bathroom had signs on the toilet saying it needed to be flushed hard to work and the suite was stained and from the 1970s with rust and corrosion on the shower fittings and pipes. The hairdryer provided was a square cream bakelite contraption from the 80s which would have taken over an hour to dry my hair. I had to ring housekeeping and ask for a hairdryer which when it came was still about 15 years old. The WIFI was terrible and I couldnt complete any work or connect to my emails through it. On the first night I was kept awake by people in the corridor and noise at 4am. When I complained the next morning about all the above, i was told i couldnt move rooms as those guests had checked out, not addressing any of my other complaints. My client later told me that someone had drowned in the swimming pool that night messing about! I have no idea if this is even true but it doesnt surprise me as the pool area is disorganised, dated and dirty. The gym facilities and changing rooms were disgusting with dirt all over the floor. The gym is accessed through an unmarked, locked door at the end of the changing room and although sizeable all the equipment is falling apart. I ate at the japanese restaurant which is probably the most pleasant part of my stay but it was distinctly average for the price and the sports bar again was dated and not particularly comfortable for a woman on her own as was made abundantly clear. All in all - do not stay here ever. It was shocking.

Room Tip: Apparantly the 6th and 7th floor executive rooms have been renovated.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Lizabit

Travelers are raving about these Manama hotels

Reviewed September 3, 2013

The lobby smelled of mold and the wait service was inconsistent and at times rude. The rooms were spacious and clean and is in a great location. You may have better service if you attend meals in the dining halls in a business suit instead of relaxing vacation clothes.

• Stayed August 2013
Dammam
Reviewed August 12, 2013

I first stayed in this hotel in February 2007, stayed here again on August 9, 2013.. it seems as if nothing much has changed in this hotel, literally. It is dated and I believe overpriced. The receptionists were not friendly, at all. The waitresses, however, were attentive and friendly. Free wifi but really slow. No complaints about the breakfast buffet & I love their beds too. This hotel is more like a 3 star hotel, and I believe one can find a better hotel at the same price.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank mayow
Reviewed August 6, 2013

i have stayed for four nights here on a business trip due to the location is very close to my work plus they had an offer with american express all over the world you stay over 3 nights you take 15% off. the hotel seems 3 stars but the services they provide make it 4 easily, take rooms from 5th or 6th floor are renewed. the internet is fast, the in room service food is great and the japanese restaurant in great. bath robe and amenities, and great great breakfast. the hotel has a great value for money and is advisable, the pool was crowded and the massage was good and cheap. everything is of good quality actually. the staff is attentive and act fast, some guest had blocked my car, they immedately drove me to work and back to hotel. will go back for business trips

Room Tip: above 5th floor
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Pabouyoussef
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I have seen this hotel listed as a 5 star hotel but, in my opinion, it is pushing for three stars.

I was first provided with a smoking room on the third floor, which was very dated. The furniture was chipped, the room smelled (as you would expect) and both the fridge and air conditioner were noisy. After a few days I was moved to a non-smoking room on the seventh floor, which was a bit better as the air conditioner was quieter and there was less wear and tear visible.

I wasn't particularly impressed by the food on offer at breakfast or the room service food.

I would stay again if I had to, but I wouldn't be excited about the stay.

Room Tip: Always ask for a non smoking room on check in, otherwise you will probably be given a smoking room.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank CG_London45
nyc
Reviewed June 18, 2013

I stayed in this hotel with an unexpected trip to Bahrain. My connected flight GULF airlines from UK to Bahrain was delayed. the plane had some electrical malfunction which led us to stay one night over in Bahrain instead of a 2 hour connected flight from Bahrain to my next destination.This gave me an opportunity to visit Bahrain and see the beautiful country. the hotel was excellent service, rooms were cleaned, and staff were courteous and gave me a wake up call on time. the continental breakfast was delicious and fresh. I didn't realize Bahrain dinar cost more than USD, a bit surprised at first, but when i toured around the city, i was mesmerized how clean, and new everything was. the country is developing at a fast pace and is doing a fine job in doing so in the middle east, just cross the bridge and you are in Saudi Arabia. if i have to stay in Bahrain, i would choose this hotel again. their dairy product is also super delicious

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo