“If you are looking for 4-5 stars, look elsewhere”

Golden Tulip Bahrain
Ranked #45 of 132 Hotels in Manama
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
“If you are looking for 4-5 stars, look elsewhere”
Reviewed November 25, 2012

I heard a lot of great reviews of this hotel from my business colleagues. However, I must say that I was not impressed. The rooms are nice and clean. The pub on the first floor has good service, good selection, fun atmosphere. Besides that, I can't find anything positive. Negatives: (1) they sell the "executive package" which I took and includes free internet, cocktails and canapés, and full breakfast. My flight left at 5am, so the breakfast was out of the question - no big deal. I wanted to print out my boarding pass, but when I got to the "free internet", I found it was in the executive lounge, and all the computers were being used. What a pile of hooey is that? (2) When I got to my room, I plugged in my adapter (that I have used for the past 6 mos. or so in many countries), and there was a huge spark and all the power in the room went out - I later saw a huge black mark on my adapter and MELTED part of it! I have no idea why or how this happened, but business travelers know that if their computer blows, they are up @*#( creek without a paddle. When I told the management about this, they apologized and gave me a replacement adapter. (3) I asked for a 2:00am wakeup call for my 5:00am flight, but they didn't call. When I (thankfully) woke up myself and brought this to the attention of the desk staff, they did not seem the least bit concerned, and when I mentioned the adapter incident, they said they knew about this but it was not the hotel's fault. (4) On the way to the airport in their shuttle (ok that is another positive), I told the driver I would not be staying at their hotel again unless it changed. He went off on me, telling me that he is only a driver and he has no control over what happens in the hotel. I would think he would ask me to give them another try, or say he would bring my concerns to management.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
B'lore
Reviewed October 26, 2012

I was not so sure when I first heard of the brand/ hotel. The business partner had booked me a room. But it turned out quite okay. In fact, I would rate it as average-2-good.
Unlike most other hotels I have seen, this one was in stark contrast for the boisterous lobby it hosted.Saudi nationals pass over to the city over the weekend for a few gulps is what I was to gather later.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Manama
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Oct 12. I recently moved to Bahrain to take up a new position. For the first week my employer provided accommodation at this hotel. Overall the quality of service was poor. The hotel is dated and needs to be refurbished. It is not a 5 star hotel by any standard. I would strongly advise any one thinking of staying at this hotel to look elsewhere as you will be disappointed.
I stayed on the 6th floor in a so called executive room. Yet the rooms were simply standard hotel accommodation and you were expected to pay for Wi-fi (16 Pounds Sterling a Day). The room was clean, but the furniture was dated and tired. I looked at other rooms and the lower floors comprise standard rooms which were smaller but of a similar design/furnishings. Again the rooms looked clean but in need of refurbishment. Maintenance of my room was generally hit and miss. On more than one occasion I had to request drinking water. Room service and the breakfast were adequate. The pool was clean but the fitness club was not that pleasent as it was underground, small, poorly equipped and open to the public I found the front office staff to be unhelpful, unfriendly and unprofessional. Overall this is a hotel with dated facilities pretending to be 5 star staffed by individuals one would normally associate with a 3 or 4 star hotel.

Room Tip: Book somewhere else.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Abu Dhabi, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed September 29, 2012

i used to be a loyal customer for this hotel but suddenly they changed staff and everything changed.
prices were increased and services reduced..
many restaurants inside the hotel closed and you can feel that the staff is not freindly as before

i hope this will change...it is a nice strategic point in bahrain

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Rabihalhajji
Manama, Bahrain
Reviewed September 13, 2012

We've stayed in this hotel for one week, in early September 2012 during our relocation to Bahrain. Despite it's recent lobby/reception area renovation it's very difficult to hide it's age. The room was clean, spacious and... vastly outdated since it's decoration, TV and furniture are so 1990s!

Staff was very polite and always willing to help. Nevertheless, judging from my 20 years experience in luxury hotels as senior manager, the staff needs re-training, especially in the main restaurant. For example, waiters/waitresses were confused even with a few occupied tables, I would say that there was lack of coordination. During breakfast many of the tables were set up for dinner!

The food quality was average - I had the chance to try breakfast, lunch and dinner, they looked boring and almost the same to me. Room service was fair, personally I had twice a pizza that wasn't what expected. Things were much more better in the Japanese restaurant which is highly recommended.

Overall this hotel needs a spark to catch up with competition in Bahrain, I would expect much more from one of the biggest luxury hotel chains of the world.

Room Tip: The room windows are always dirty (because of the weather conditions) so it doesn't matter!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Seoul, South Korea
Reviewed September 5, 2012

I visited Bahrain for 3 day trip in end of July 2012 (Ramadan). The hotel was booked by host company, so had no choice but to check in (despite average reviews on trip adviser). Like one reviewer said, this hotel might have been a hot-shot in good old days (70s or 80s), but now it stands as a building stuck in time. The furniture, bedding, carpets, hair dryer (really a piece of vintage science), TV, room fridge etc. all reflect the past glory and present lack of interest of owners.

Room:
Over all the room and washroom were clean, the carpet was worn out, huge closets and a safe (which is a plus point). Fridge was full of goodies (but bit expensive), TV channels were OK. Bed was comfortable but due to over all yellowish tone of walls, carpet, blankets, the sheets also looked worn out. House keeping was efficient.

Food:
There are few restaurants in hotel. Japanese one i didn't try, but the other one was good (served only in fast breaking time). As the breakfast/dinner was included in my room rent, so not sure if it was costly or alright. I heard there is a club also in the basement, but due to holy month it was closed, so not sure about the food/drink quality there.

Internet:
This was the main bane of the stay in this hotel (which makes me give average rating to this hotel). The price of internet was whooping 10 BHD for 24 hrs. It was equal to my total monthly spending of unlimited 100mbps connection back at home. Even though the internet charges were to be covered by my host company, still i could not bring myself to spend so much money on internet.

Service:
The staff (mostly Filipinos) was fine and adequately courteous.

Location:
The hotel is right in the middle of main action of Bahrain. I think all main places are close to this hotel.

Over all, if given the choice, i will not stay in this hotel (i cannot believe the internet rates)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
5 Thank 3point49
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed September 1, 2012

I stayed at this hotel with a large party. Check in was smooth for such a large number. We had some problems in that some of our team were put in 'smoking rooms' that absolutely stank of smoke (including children)... the corridors leading to the rooms and the entire room really did stink. All people were moved upon request. The children were however given an ashtray and matches welcoming them to there new room!

The food at the hotel is really, really good - can't compliment it highly enough. We had a 'fod included package but this disallowed tea or coffee at any meal other than breakfast which we found a little strange.

There is a lovely pool and the hotel is in a great location. The General Manager is extremely helpful - he listens and acts quickly.

I would recommend this hotel especially for business customers.

Room Tip: If you are a non-smoker ensure you insist on a room on a non-smoking floor.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business