“Great Hotel”

Ranked #16 of 132 Hotels in Manama
Doncaster, England
“Great Hotel”
Reviewed February 21, 2007

We arrived in Manama at 8.30am after a 7 hour overnight flight. When we arrived at the Novotel we were informed that the hotel was full the previous night and no-one had checked out as yet. We went for breakfast and returned to reception within the hour to be told that a suite had become available and we could have that at no extra cost.

Although we were in Bahrain on business we did not want to stay in the city centre. We stayed at the Ritz-Carlton in November ’06 which we found so false that we did not wish to return. The Novotel was a perfect choice.

The rooms were very spacious and had everything you could need (although I had to ask for extra coat hangers).

Out of the 3 restaurants in the hotel we only ate at one – Zytoun. It was a buffet style lunch and dinner, offering a good choice in salads, a different soup each day, lots of different main courses plus a ‘special’ each day, followed by so many different deserts. Breakfast was good – especially having a fresh omelette made upon request. My only complaint was they did not have any ham or bacon – only beef bacon. Service in the restaurant was a little ‘hit and miss’. Mostly very good however on our last day we asked twice for some coffee with our breakfast and got totally ignored. Also the ‘head waiter’ needs to be a little more professional and stop telling his staff off in front of guests. They could be a little slow in taking drinks and clearing plates but overall it was ok.

The hotel bar has to be visited at least once – but not for the drinks !! They have a male ‘singer’ in the evenings who has to be seen to be believed; awful … painful ... lifeless ... out of tune … does not know words … The good thing about the bar is the view, so when the weather warms up I suggest you sit out on the balcony and take in the view of Manama rather than listen to the ‘music’.

The hotel beach is really good. Ideal for children although no lifeguard. Very sheltered and shallow. The pool was excellent – large for a good long swim, a shallow end for the kids, a separate kids pool and a nice warm Jacuzzi. There was a lifeguard standing at the poolside when anyone was in it.

Looking back on any little problems we had there they would certainly not put us off returning to this hotel on our next trip. Excellent if you don’t want the busy noisy city, airport or Ritz-Carlton. We would totally recommend it.

Stayed February 2007
1 Thank NicPod

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed January 31, 2007

We were lookingfor a 5-day get away and decided on the Al-Dana as it is one of a few resort hotels in Bahrain. The pictures on the website is great and trust me, the hotel is beautiful. The whole resort is built on a Moroccon style. Reception are is a bit dissapointed. Staff were friendly because they get paid to do so. They only do what is expoected from them to do. They don't walk that extra mile. Room was beautiful. As we always do at hotels, we sign at restaurants and let them ad it to our bill. I was surprised to hear a hammering on our door the first evening. It was late. I first ignored it but had to open as I realized this person will not go away. To my surprise I was informed that they demand that I pay for my supper as I did not leave any extra money at reception to cover for extas. First of all, NO_ONE at reception told me about it. This could have waited till the following morning as there was no need to harass me late at night. I was treated like a criminal. Staff defenitely needs training. I was wared before hand on the service you get here but so we learn. Restaurant where you have youyr breakfast was bad. Small area and half is used for smokers. Two smokers can polute the whole area in matter of seconds. I will suggest they make it a smoke free area. Will not recommend this hotel. It is like a apple with a worm in. Beautiful from the outside but full of unpleasantness on the inside. Rather go to the Ritz Carlot where service is important for them

• Liked — Beach
  • Disliked — Service
  • Stayed January 2007
    • Check in / front desk
2 Thank George123R
Baden-Baden
Reviewed January 21, 2007

European Novotel are something which you use just for one night, but here in Bahrain the Novotel is just nice and doesn`t give the feeling to be in a Novotel. It was starting already at the airport, a nice and clean car and driver pick us up. The check in was quick and verry friendly. The room was overlooking the little beach, a fruit basket with a warm welcome of the managment has been in the room.
Next morning the breakfast was with a big choice of international
and local products. Pool aerea and beach nice and clean. The service at the pool and beach was excellent.

Total impression: Verry good and I like to ask my friends to go
there.

• Liked — the location
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank saur
Kuwait City, Kuwait
Reviewed July 16, 2006

I stayed at the Novotel Al Dana Resort for two nights in mid-July. After several bad experiences at other Novotels around the world, I was somewhat worried about staying at this place, but found it quite different (as other reviewers have stated).

LOCATION: The Novotel is located on a causeway to Muharraq Island, home of Bahrain International Airport. There is a sixteen-storey apartment building under construction directly next to the resort, so that wasn't appealing. The city itself is about five minutes away, with the malls and entertainment district ten to fifteen minutes away (depending on traffic).

APPEARANCE: The resort is built in an old Arabian design with wind towers and a peach-pink exterior. Looks quite nice compared to the concrete-and-glass monoliths that house Bahrain's other hotels.

RECEPTION: The 'lobby' of this resort is TINY. Two small sit-down desks and a circular seating area are all that compose the resort's reception. It was not impressive, but it serves its purpose.

ROOMS: I stayed in room 1247. The rooms are located in two wings that surround the pool and a small beach. Rooms open with electronic key cards and have two doors with Arabian designs carved into them. The doors were a major nuisance; heavy, difficult to open, and very narrow. Otherwise, the room was nicely furnished, with a desk (with high-speed/wireless Internet), a Grundig television, a sitting area, a very comfortable bed, and a balcony with a table, two chairs, and a great view of the harbour and Manama. The bathroom had a comfortable bathtub, adjustable massage shower head, toilet, bidet, sink, and decent counter space. Overall, a comfortable, bright room with all of the needed amenities.

DINING: I only ate at the Zytoun restaurant for breakfast. The restaurant itself is well decorated, but the food is only OK and service there is quite mediocre. Nothing special, there are better dining options at the Ritz-Carlton and other places.

LEISURE FACILITIES: The resort's free-form pool is of a good size and has a shallow end for children and a very deep end (six feet+) for adults. There is an attached children's pool and a jacuzzi. The water was refreshingly cool, but it has a considerable amount of salt in it, along with a very strange sweet-and-salty taste (after accidentally taking a breath underwater). The gymnasium, Curves, is somewhat small but well-equipped with weight stations, free weights, and treadmills. The beach is small compared to the Ritz-Carlton and other resorts of this size, but it was quite decent. The only major problem was the presence of sharp rocks on both sides of the beach. I cut my hand and foot while swimming there, and also saw two crabs scuttling along the rocks. Quite unsafe; the staff should post signs or something warning guests about that region.

SERVICE: The reception staff were warm and welcoming, as were the staff at the health club. Room service and housekeeping are somewhat slow and make occasional mistakes. After requesting a bathrobe on the phone, I received three towels instead. After calling housekeeping again, they mentioned that they would correct their mistake. After waiting for an hour for the bathrobe, I left my room. When I returned at night, I found it on my bed. Long story short, service is good, but can be slow and confusing at times.

OVERALL: A good choice. Some small flaws, but these can be ironed out. Otherwise, Novotel Al Dana was great and I would keep this resort as a back-up for future visits to Bahrain.

• Stayed July 2006
7 Thank Khaled B
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 19, 2005

The Novotel is just a little different to the typical Manama hotel, in that it is low-rise, slightly out of the centre and actually has a beach. A small beach admittedly, but it is a beach - these are as rare as hen's teeth in Bahrain!
The rooms are clean, tidy, modern and spacious - as indeed they should be, as the Novotel is only a couple of years old.
We had a spacious suite, consisting of a double bedded room, a dressing area, a comfortable bathroom and a sitting room, with two sofas. Additionally, a balcony afforded views across an expanse of water to the bright lights of central Manama.
So, the rooms get the thumbs up, spacious and adequately furnished.
The dining possibilities are somewhat less impressive. The outlets at the Novotel are far from the best available in Manama, and perhaps a short drive to one of the many enjoyable restaurants in Manama would be preferable.
Our breakfast was notably disappointing.
Nevertheless, the resort feel of the hotel, with the beach, out of city location and large pool will make it suitable for those looking for some relaxation.
Worth checking out if those aspects appeal.

• Stayed November 2005
10 Thank coverpoint
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 29, 2005

The hotel has its own beach and a nice large pool with a poolbar. The drawback is that the hotel is outside the 'walking path' within the city even though its very near.
It is situated alone on a roadstretch which might give you problem finding taxis that are willing to stop or be prepared for a wait if you order it through the reception. My room had a balcony towards the pool , but strangely enough with no furniture so you had to take out the wooden chairs in the room. I found the rooms to be simple but it had everything it should. We did not stay during the hot season but the rooms always had a sort of damp feeling even with a running aircon. There are tiled floors all over.
The pool and the pool-bar must be one of the best in Bahrain and sometimes there is a beach party on the small beach with a barbecue.
The resturants in the hotel was OK especially the buffe type of meals between 6-9 BD. Staying for business - questionable , for leasure - Yes

• Stayed March 2005, traveled on business