“Still the best cafe in Bahrain”
Review of Cafe Lilou

Cafe Lilou
Ranked #1 of 9 Dessert in Manama
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed October 13, 2013

When I first hit the shores of Bahrain about seven years ago this was an elegant place refreshingly professional in service and consistently good in food quality.
Some of the wait staff are still here , and its nice to return to have a few of them recognise me still after a years absence . Its difficult to go past the minty lemon drink, the coffee is always optimum. The food is well presented and quality ingredients made with authenticity. In spite of the staff being from all corners of the globe they all have been trained exceptionally well. There has never been an off day for me in this cafe. The pasta is always fresh and good , so the soups, the salads wonderful , light and just what more local restaurants should be serving in the blistering heat of Bahrain. The clientele are chic , smart and interesting to observe . A high concentration of rich Saudis come here on saudi weekend parading their stuff. The opportunity to observe good fashion , handbags and shoes on divinely dressed and beautiful women is not to be missed if your into eyeballing that scene. Here the perfectly groomed Saudi and Bahraini male peacocks himself in his thobe and guttra as no where else ..its a wonderful sight as they prance around with teeny tiny perfume brand name bags with some divine frangrance inside , maybe bought for their mother , or maybe not. A sort of highly effeminate look , done with such masculinity .... the air is thick with sexual energy as veiled ladies and gentlemen subversively take peeks at each other and do the "' hello people look at me I AM GORGEOUS" ...Its great stuff , oh how I missed this parade in my absence.
I continue to go to Lilou as I know I will always see a perfectly groomed serving person without a hair out of place , I like that uniformity that displays attention to detail , cleanliness ,no ever risking someones hair in your soup at this place.
The best thing I almost forgot to mention is the MILLEFEUILLE .....even in france it does not taste this good . I got fat on Lilous mille feuille ... heavenly made with real vanilla pods , you can tell by the black dots in the pastry cream. Its a fact though that all the pastries are excellent and just like in France.
If you want a sublime experience in just a cafe Lilou is THE PLACE... Only thing for me thats hard is trying to see in the ladies powder room to put my lipstick back on when o go to freshen up...No big deal , I have a mirror in my BMW, and I guess in the dark powder room I don't see my wrinkles either........ so its all good really.

Reviewed October 11, 2013

nice to seat out during the winter, have my coffee every second day. they serve some great food, the service is average.
Lots of crowd on the weekends

Reviewed October 7, 2013

I have traveled a lot, tasted different food selections, i have never found delight and great taste of food at all levels such as in Lilou, it is my #1 option for food whenever i head to Bahrain.

Reviewed October 4, 2013

When I die I hope all the food in heaven is like Lilou's. My salad was exquisite. The toppings alone bespoke of divine creativity-- sesame-encrusted halloumi cheese, edamame and pomegrante seeds. The main course of mushroom ravioli in creamed spinach left me coveting more. The dessert of homemade vanilla ice cream atop a perfectly textured brownie (not too gooey yet not too cakey) made me want to start with dessert the next time. I wish I could steal Lilou herself and take her back home to create a replica of this gem in my country.

Reviewed September 23, 2013

One of the best cafe's in Bahrain for breakfast, lunch, dinner and dessert! Food is of high quality with innovative dishes on the menu. My meals have been consistently good every time. Nice ambience, highly recommended.