“This makes living in Riyadh just a bit more tolerable”
Review of Kampai

Kampai
Ranked #15 of 779 Restaurants in Riyadh
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 28, 2014 via mobile

As a lover of Japanese food, I am ecstatic when I find a quality Japanese restaurant. Kampai is definitely one of them - maybe even the best one in Riyadh.

Food is pricey as stated by others, but it's good if you're splurging and/or really craving good Japanese food.

As mentioned by others - Rock Shrimp is a must try - it's lightly battered and fried shrimp with a garlicky mayo sauce - just delicious. And the portion was huge too - both my husband and I couldn't finish it as brought some home!

Other items I orderd:
Pearl of the Orient - scallop in filo - it was good but I wouldn't order it again because I didn't realize the "filo" was this stringy fried dough like that used in baklava - not the thin pastry as I know it as. But the taste of the dish was still good.

Yuzu Scallop - scallop sashimi ok yuzu sauce with black caviar and perhaps shiso leaf. I'm impressed that they have scallop at all - but this scallop was very good, not fishy, and smooth. The yuzu sauce was a bit tangy and over powering.

Black Cod with miso sauce - very soft melt in your mouth dish - but the miso sauce is very sweet. Takes 45min for this dish to be prepared.

Tuna foie gras sushi - tuna sushi with seared foie gras on top - just decadent!

Spicy salmon maki - fresh salmon with just a hint of very mild "spicy" sauce. I liked that the sauce did not overpower the salmon.

Ring maki - crab, tuna, and salmon maki with jalapeño pepper and guacamole. A nice twist to things.

Service was very good and waiters were attentive. We went during Ramadan around 7:30 so the place was empty.

We were even given complimentary 7-up.

I am definitely impressed with this place and can't wait to go back and try all the other things on the menu. A great find in Riyadh! I hope they keep up this standard!

2  Thank CarinaInRedDeer

Reviewed July 2, 2014 via mobile

I had dinner with my husband and family friends. Better to book a reservation as it really gets full in the evening. The food is amazingly good but the cuisine is more of a fusion than authenticity. If you're an adventure in Japanese food and want to try something new, this the best place for you.

Ambience is also uniques. It feels much different from other Japanese. It has high ceilings and lights are bright that make the resto look vibrant.

Try the shrimps cocktail, it's the best.

Reviewed June 17, 2014

In my opinion this is the best place for Japanese food in Riyadh.
The food is really really good (dont miss the wagyu beef order) and they have a lot of varieties to choose from. The service is good. The only thing to consider is the price, its above average.

Make sure you have a booking before you go specially for the family section.

1  Thank Hietham
Reviewed June 1, 2014

Make sure you make reservations! They fill up fast.

We ordered quite a few dishes, and it was delicious. Must trys: Rocket Shrimp. It's to die for. Spicy Tuna Salad, chicken katsu...basically anything and everything we ordered was delicious.

WEEKENDS ARE FOR FAMILIES ONLY! Yes they are open on Fridays at 1pm.

5  Thank PinkPanda1812
Reviewed May 27, 2014

We visited after looking at the reviews and were not disappointed. We got carried away and ordered many dishes - all were fantastic and beautifully presented. The service was great except for the last dish which I think they forgot about and they had to be reminded but apart from that the service was fast and efficient. Will definitely return probably this weekend!! Amazing food and would rank now among my top 3 favourite restaurants in Riyadh!!

1  Thank 734Anna