“Comforting place in the desert”

InterContinental Riyadh
Ranked #15 of 216 Hotels in Riyadh
Athens, Greece
“Comforting place in the desert”
Reviewed July 14, 2014

Big hotel with spacious rooms and restaurants. Comfortable beds and enormous closet for clothes storing (suitable for long term travelers). Good quality breakfast with satisfactory variety. Stuff welcoming and kind. In house dining was tasty but a bit pricey. Swimming pool, gym and other recreational venues helped spend your spare time.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank fotaman
Tariq D, General Manager at InterContinental Riyadh, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
Dear Mr. Fotaman,

Thank you for your review of InterContinental Riyadh.

I find it gratifying to note that you consider us a "Comforting place in the desert". Your positive observations of our facilities including the welcoming and kind attitude of our staff are reasons for us to celebrate. Thank you once again and will cascade your review to all our staff.

We look forward to have the pleasure of welcoming you again.

Sincerely yours,

Tariq Dowidar, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
Baughurst, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 12, 2014

I like staying here - the rooms are old - but always clean and tidy.

Internet access is always good quality - but my favourite thing is how friendly the staff are - The guy that shines shoes always greets me the minute I walk through the door - and he's an absolute asset to the hotel

And a lovely 9 hole golf course - a rarity in KSA - and this is a great way to spend 2 hours

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Tariq D, General Manager at InterContinental Riyadh, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Dear Mr. Steve,

Thank you for your well-balanced and fair review of our hotel.

I understand your comment concerning the status of our rooms in the main building. However, I would like to inform you that this is one major focus of the management now after the completion of the 1st phase which are the main entrance, hotel lobby, restaurants and the conference/meeting center at the ground floor. The renovation of the rooms and suites in the main building will be done in 2015.

Meantime, I am happy to note of your nice comment to our Shoe Shine Boy, Bandula. Indeed, he is one of our great asset at the Front Desk, and I am sure he will be very happy to receive your kind words to him.

We look forward to have you again and please don't hesitate to spend a game or two in our Palms Golf Club every time you stay in Riyadh.

My sincere regards.

Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 7, 2014

The InterContinental has proved to be far better than I anticipated as I stayed here from 3 weeks. The staff are all very helpful and accommodating in whatever you need in terms of advice or problems.
The rooms are very comfortable and quiet, housekeeping keep the room spotless and learn quickly your particular tastes in coffee or fruit each day in your room. There is numerous restaurants that provide a full range for all tastes from fine dining, to bistro or buffet banquet.
After a busy day the guest facilities are very good from ten pin bowling, to the gym, and swimming pools or even a 9 hole golf course, plenty of quiet areas or TVs lounges.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank KTRutland
Tariq D, General Manager at InterContinental Riyadh, responded to this review, July 10, 2014
Dear Mr. Kart,

Thank you for your nice review of our hotel concerning your recent stay with us.

As a Leader of this hotel, I take pride in ensuring our customer's satisfaction. I am really glad that your 3-weeks stay at InterContinental Hotel is an experience to remember: from the accomodating and welcoming staff, to the comfort of your room, the quality of our food and beverages and the accuracy of our services. We deeply value your patronage and we are committed to providing you with the highest level of service.

The InterContinental Riyadh is your home away from home, Mr. Kart.

With best regards.

Reviewed June 20, 2014

Using this hotel as a base for three days worth of meetings in the city and booking out their conference facilities for an exhibition and customer dinner and presentation, my company thought we had made the right choice.

Myself and four colleagues checked in to the IC Riyadh last week, receiving a Club Room with. Lounge access, to which I will come back to later.

The conference facilities were good and the team on hand were accommodating and relatively efficient.

The pool area is a little confusing and felt a bit awkward with no clear understanding of where men and women were allowed to be. Also, with a fence up around the pool and no apparent service team present to support guests with refreshments etc made the area very uninviting.

The restaurant by the pool was very good, as was the atrium cafe, but the main lobby cafe and restaurant were poorly serviced.

And now for the Club Lounge - this was absolutely dreadful, with a poor, small selection of food and drinks available through our stay. There appeared to be no one in charge, with the two welcome desks unmanned throughout our stay and the staff (one man) was surly and unaccommodating for the entire time we were there.
Given how many guests were present in the lounge at breakfast and in the evening, the hotel really should reconsider assigning more staff during these peak periods and look to offer a wider, tastier selection of food and beverages to the guest.

Upon checkout, my colleagues and I asked if we could use our lounge breakfast privileges in the main lobby restaurant, as we had an early start and just needed to grab a small bite and some coffee to start the day.
We were told no and when asked for the reason why, the receptionist, who was also surly, brought out what I assumed was a manager, who also made no effort to be flexible and told us in no uncertain terms that's we would need to pay extra for breakfast if we wanted to have it outside of the lounge, which is not the policy of any other IHG hotel I have ever stayed in.

Given the amount of money my company spent in this hotel (the second Intercontinental Hotel in the Middle East that week - see my review on the Intercontinetal Dubai Festival, City), the whole experience really did leave a sore taste in my mouth and I will be seeking the hotel's removal from our global booking system, to ensure that no one else at my company suffers the same poor treatment that my team and I did during our stay.

Room Tip: Just don't bother
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Tariq D, General Manager at InterContinental Riyadh, responded to this review, June 26, 2014
Dear TrickyDickyT,

Thank you for your balanced and constructive review of the InterContinental Riyadh during your recent stay and conference.

I am glad that the conference facilities as well as the team in our Events Department were to your satisfaction.

I have also noted some areas for improvements and have gathered all Departments’ concerned to prepare definite action plans to correct and rectify those issues you raised. Given the chance to host you again, I can assure you that you will find concrete improvements.

With sincere regards.

Germany
Reviewed June 18, 2014

Riyadh isn't the greenest city so this hotel is great to feel comfortable and a bit in touch with nature. There are trees and other greens, the hotel itself is quiet, especially at night. The service and staff is top notch.

The room I stayed in was very clean and well furnished, the bed was extremely comfortable and allowed for a good peaceful nights sleep.

I haven't been to other hotels in Riyadh but this one is definitely one I would recommend. It makes you feel like you could be in any big city and forget where you actually are.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the ground floor near the lobby starting with 0, these are quiet and have a nice v...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Dear Ms. Sascha22,

Thank you so much for nice review and your kind words about the facilities of our hotel. But what makes me proud most is the experience you received from the services of our staff. Please be assured that I’ll be cascading your review to all of them.

I really appreciate your recommendation and look forward to have you again at the InterContinental Riyadh.

Yours sincerely,

Hanover, Germany
Reviewed May 31, 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights for business. Appeared to me as museum of the eighties. Plus is that is has more green surroundings (sitting area, poolside) than any other hotel in Riyadh. Check in was efficient and rather business like (sold me an upgrade). Room turned out to be of good size
but furniture are worn. Bathroom avearage. Breakfast worst experience I ever had in a five star hotel
(limited choice, qualtiy of food not what you can expect in this kind of hotel). Two restaurants with
the hotel, the main restaurant offered a buffet style lunch for 230 Saudi Rial (it was about 3.00 pm)
The buffet was already finished and locked not that attractive, the place turned out to be a childrens playground rather than a restaurant. The other restaurant served italian style food along the poolside - which turned out as a good choice (very nice staff there).
I feft the place for another hotel in Riyadh because the air condition didnt worked like it should.
Would not go there next time.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank zaubererpferd
Tariq D, General Manager at InterContinental Riyadh, responded to this review, June 15, 2014
Dear Mr. Zaubererpferd,

I would like to thank you for your constructive review of our hotel during your recent stay with us.

I am very sorry to note that you left for another hotel in Riyadh on account of the air condition in the room, please accept my deep apology for the inconveniences that have caused you. I have also noted all the other issues that you have raised for improvements and renovations, and I assure you that these are in my list of priorities.

As we strive to work on these issues, I trust that we will still have the pleasure of welcoming and serving you in the near future.

With best regards.

München, Deutschland
Reviewed May 27, 2014

The hotel and the restaurants are nice, however the rooms in the main wing are old and not cozy.
The aircondition is loud, the interior is shabby, the window is small and the rooms are poor lit.
Also the pool airea is not welcoming and the gym is oldfashioned.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Riyadh, responded to this review, June 13, 2014
Dear chribuch,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. It is unfortunate to hear that the condition of our rooms, pool and gym facilities have prevented you from fully enjoying your time at our hotel. Rest assured that I have noted your feedback and shared them with our hotel management for review. I am confident that the necessary upgrades will be made, in order for us to give you the best accommodation on your next stay.

Faith R