“Good place to stay”

Ranked #16 of 218 Hotels in Riyadh
Vilnius, Lithuania
“Good place to stay”
Reviewed January 22, 2014

I have stayed several times in Intercon. The rooms are clean and spacious. Each day you recieve complimentary plate of fruits. The hotel has a swimming pool, gym with sauna and a jacuzzi.
The location is not very good-it is located in the govermental buildings area, so if you walk out of hotel-you find nothing within walking distance. If you are tired of hotel food, the only option is to take taxi to other restaurants. And using taxis sometimes can be difficult-there are a lot of drivers who does not speak english and some of the drivers completely does not know the city.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Marijus R
Tariq D, Manager at InterContinental Riyadh, responded to this review, February 2, 2014
Dear Mariius R

Thank you very much for your recent review of Intercontinental Riyadh

I would like to appreciate your valuable comments mentioning the room and health club facilities. I also would like recommend that we do have a car desk available if you wish to make bookings for transportation arrangements. However as you mentioned taxi is the most reliable transportation system and we can assist you find drivers speaking English.I can also recommend London taxi which has a better and reliable taxi system. Our concierge can also assist you in finding the right place to make your stay a memorable one.

Once again thank you for your valuable comments

Tariq Dowidar

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed January 20, 2014

Spent a fortnight at the Interconti Riyadh, 6 days in the main building, then 6 days in the Executive Club one. These are really two different hotels in one! But they do share a few things...
The hotel is perfectly located in the centre of Riyadh, in front of the Ministry of Interior. It is a huge compounds that includes an indoor and an outdoor swimming pool, a spa, a big gym and even a golf course! It has two restaurants, a buffet style one and the Mondo (http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293995-d897217-Reviews-Mondo_at_Intercontinental_Hotel-Riyadh_Riyadh_Province.html), plus a café in the main lobby. Food is in general good. And a decent wifi connection is also available. But what makes this hotel very special is its staff. Not only they are available at all time, but they are smiling and take pleasure in doing their job. A big up to the management! Now not everything is perfect. A few shortcomings were noted during my stay there:
- The swimming pool area not as clean as it should be
- Not enough deck-chairs were available and some were even broken
- No massage was available (only a chair)! Hardly acceptable.
Also the law in KSA forbids smoking rooms. This is clearly unrealistic in a country having so many smokers. The result is many rooms have a cigarette smell. Finally there is that weird new policy from Interconti Middle East to use Chinese shower gel & shampoo. Beyond the products' quality, it does not fit the group's image.
Now to the differences...
The main building:
I was given a junior suite (status upgrade) upon check in. Given the building, the room had a weird shape with a small blind bedroom, tiny bathroom and small lounge with a couple of windows. It was suitable until I could clearly smell a cigar some other guest in another room was smocking. As a cigar smoker myself, I wasn't so much bothered in the evening. But when on the following morning, the smell came back, I had to ask for a new room... I was first proposed a suite in the same building on another floor. The smell was still there (yes, same cigar)! I was then proposed a room in the Executive Club building...
The Executive Club building:
It really looks like another hotel. Room are more spacious, offering a better view. A/C works properly. And the style is far better (see the pictures posted with this review). The Executive Club lounge occupies the last floor and offers breakfast, hot and soft drinks as well as light fare in the evening. A nice place to be.
-------------------------
Bottom line:
The Interconti Riyadh is very well managed. The main building needs however an urgent refurbishment. But staying in the Executive Club building is probably the best possible accommodation in Riyadh.

Room Tip: Do book an Executive Club room: it is really worth it!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Swissdiver
Tariq D, General Manager at InterContinental Riyadh, responded to this review, May 24, 2014
Dear Guest SwissDiver,

I really appreciate your thorough analysis/review of our hotel during your last stay with us.

Indeed, the rooms and suites in the main building are already outdated and in need of renovation. I am pleased to inform you that the 1st phase of major renovation (main entrance, lobby, restaurants and conference center) has just been completed. The main building rooms and suites will be the next phase of our major renovation.

I am glad that you find our Club rooms comfortable and nice including the services of our staff which you find special.

I have taken notes of the identified shortcomings which we will look into as soon as possible.

Once again, thank you for your very positive and constructive reviews which really aid us in improving our services and facilities. We look forward to have you again at the InterContinental Riyadh.

With sincere regards.

Tariq Dowidar, General Manager
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed January 18, 2014

I have spent a considerable amount of time here and have enjoyed since the first day. Taxis are available quickly and the location is near many business locations. There are 3 restaurants and a cafe located on the premises. All of the meals have been good with good service along with a wide selection.

The rooms are clean and modern and the service employees have been good. I also like the business areas near the lobby.

There are also great fitness facilities available (gym, squash/tennis courts,golf course and swimming pools) The facilties are quite large and is open to public membership.

I do receive a company rate, therefore I can't advise on price or for personal travel.

I have enjoyed the stay and recommend it.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Tariq D, General Manager at InterContinental Riyadh, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Dear ATLbased

We very much appreciate your nice review of Intercontinental Riyadh.
We are happy that we were able to reflect a good impression about the service and facilities we offer. These truly inspiring comments will motivate us to deliver great service to all our guests and we look forward to many more opportunities to serve you in the future.

Sincerely

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 15, 2014 via mobile

My room was enormous, the breakfast was average, the communal area was at best 1990 chic. The staff are attentive though a little erratic. Probably the best of the options in Riyadh. Make your selection based on location as there are not many great options in this unfriendly place.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Tariq D, General Manager at InterContinental Riyadh, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
Dear Spuggers

Thank you very much for your recent review of Intercontinental Riyadh
I have gone through your constructive comments and noted down the areas were you felt we need improvements. Rest assured that we will put our efforts right behind every opportunity we have to make the guest experience unique and authentic. I wish to hear more in detail from you on your next visit.

Once again thank you for your valuable comments

dxb
Reviewed January 5, 2014

I Stayed at the Intercontinental Riyadh in Dec 2013 and the experience was very different from my previous stays at the Intercontinental hotels across Europe and Middle East. The property is fairly large and modern, staff are trained and very professional and courteous. The airport pickup was well organized and the driver took me directly to my meeting venue when I explained that I was running late for a meeting. (I can't Imagine this happening in this manner in many countries)
The location is good and secure and around 30 minutes from the Riyadh international airport depending on traffic density. There are three restaurants which gives some variety. Highly recommended for the modern business traveler with high expectations.

Room Tip: some rooms can be quite a bit of a walk from the reception lobby area, so if you would prefer to sta...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Tariq D, General Manager at InterContinental Riyadh, responded to this review, January 11, 2014
Dear jscaria

Thank you for your recent review of intercontinental Riyadh

First of all I would like to thank you for your comparison and judging our property as one of your preferred destination in Riyadh. Our team will be pleased to have your wonderful comments shared and we will pass on a special appreciation to our Travel desk Team.

Wishing you a very happy and prosperous new year

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 28, 2013

Services are below average, but facilities are a must in this country: swimming pool, sports club, squash courts and tennis courts.

Breakfast is average, especially if you like fruits and juices in the morning.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear Raskoblomov

Thank You for your review of Intercontinental Riyadh

First of all we wish you a very happy new year. I read your comments with much concern and wish to address the points in detail. The breakfast menu will be reviewed together with the Food and beverage team and will take all measures possible to provide our guest with choice and variety.

Sincerely Yours

Al Hofuf, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed December 25, 2013

A very nice hotel, form the main entrance, to the lobby , to the rooms, everything is fantastic, staff are friendly, and helpful, very near to city center, all what you want is near you, the hotel includes a variety of shops, it also have a restaurant with an open air garden.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Tariq D, General Manager at InterContinental Riyadh, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
Dear Mr.Rabihe,

I read your comments with great satisfaction. We are glad we were able to serve you and deliver an over all experience that made your time with us memorable. I am pleased to pass your comments our colleagues and we look forward to your future visits.

Sincerely Yours