“Let down”

InterContinental Riyadh
Ranked #35 of 227 Hotels in Riyadh
Reviewed September 29, 2013

I've stayed here for perhaps fifty or sixty nights over the last three years. I love the location relative to the meetings I have in Riyadh, I like the staff, love the security set up (its world class), and I like the size and layout of the bedrooms. However, lots of money has been invested in the lobby and none in the rooms I stay. I typically pay between $275 and $375 per night, and thus its fair to expect a very nice room. But they are dated, which is fine I guess except for the bathrooms. They are small, cramped and awkward. Just opening and closing the door in the bathroom requires you contort your body into a corner to swing the door. There is a bath/shower combo that is barely wide enough so the shower curtain isn't stuck to your body. I'm told that there are newly renovated rooms, I've just never seen one in all my trips here. My other gripe is the cafe off of the lobby. They have light meals as well as coffee/tea etc. The worst service you can imagine. They are all smiles as they ignore you, but they avoid approaching tables as if you're going to bite them. Its bizarre. Every time i'm in there you can watch the staff getting yelled at by someone. The simplest orders are difficult, order a coke and wait fifteen minutes. The staff at this hotel is very friendly and helpful, I see many of the same faces on each trip and I enjoy greeting them and thanking them for their service, its hard to imagine how this cafe has been overlooked so long.
Anyway, I will not stay here again anytime soon. Al Faisaliah and Ritz Carlton are about the same price and much nicer. Perhaps not as convenient but I'm done trying with Intercon Riyadh.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the illusive "newly renovated rooms"
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Tariq D, General Manager at InterContinental Riyadh, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2013

Dear Mr. Eglzfn,

Thank you for your review during your recent stay with us at InterContinental Riyadh.

Indeed your comment on the hotel rooms in the main building is fair and really appreciated. I wish to inform you, however, that when I recently took over the management of this hotel, I had embarked in an ambitious 2-phased hotel renovations. The 1st phase which is the renovation of the lobby, restaurants and conference rooms had just been completed and the 2nd phase will be the renovation of the rooms and suites in the main building. Meanwhile, I would like to enjoin you to try our Club rooms on your next reservation. All our club rooms were upgraded and your stay there includes access to the Club lounge (breakfast, afternoon tea, evening canapes, plus refreshments at anytime of the day till 11:30 pm). As to the service of the Al Diywan, I have already discussed the issue with the F&B In-charge with much concern and I was given an assurance that this will be immediately corrected.

We look forward to welcoming you again at the InterContinental Riyadh.

Reviewed September 28, 2013

I've been frequenting this hotel several times throughout the past year on business trips. The receptionists are all helpful; glad to see more Saudi youth capable of excellent customer service and hospitality skills. The hotel has two buildings, one of them is newer with upgraded rooms. I will make sure to check in one of those next time. Room service is competent and efficient; management always makes sure you get what you ask for including changing rooms for any reason.

The breakfast buffet has a good selection of intercontinental and oriental options. All hot drinks are served at the table and waiters are polite and quick. After breakfast, the lounge serves snacks and drinks throughout the day, and a light dinner at night. If I had the choice, I wouldn't eat there as the quality of food is mediocre and there are never healthy salad options. But due to my busy schedule during business trips, I often don't have time to dine out and resort to this mediocre lounge food.

Aside from the lounge, there are two other restaurants housed within the hotel. I wouldn't highly recommend either of them, especially for food connoisseurs who are always on the look for something new and good.

The other downside of this hotel for me is the lack of women's gym, unlike its sister hotel Intercontinental Jeddah that has a dedicated room for that. Nevertheless, one can order a stationary bike in their room. Last time I had eye brows raised at me when I asked for dumbbells as well. But I had what I asked for, and that's what I like about this hotel. Staff would go out of their way to fulfill the clients' requests.

By international standards, this is relatively an expensive lodging option (around $330 a night) given that Riyadh is not particularly a touristic attraction.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank GlobeTrekkerFromDC
Tariq D, General Manager at InterContinental Riyadh, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2013

Dear Ms. Globetrekker,

Thank you for your recent recent review of the InterContinental Riyadh. I have noted all your comments, but first I would like to thank you for your kind comments concerning our receptionists and our Saudi youths who will be our future leaders including other services such as the room service, breakfast, etc. I wish to assure you that I have in my high list the other concerns which need to be improved and this will be looked into as soon as possible. I do understand your experience concerning the limited recreation facilities of the hotel for women. Meanwhile, we can offer you some indoor recreation facilities such as bike machine, or step-up which can be delivered to your room. We look forward to have the pleasure of welcoming you again to the InterContinental Riyadh.

Reviewed September 25, 2013

We recently spent 6 days with my husband attending a conference as a family with two small children. We were apprehensive once we realised how restrictive it would be for us. The hotel was the bright spot of the trip. We opted to upgrade to the executive club which not only served great food four times a day (one of the best buffet breakfasts) it also gave us an extra space to while away our time. The cost of the upgrade was pretty much covered by what we would pay for a buffet breakfast for two and we certainly got our moneys worth if only in the constant availability of (soft)drinks., especially since leaving the hotel required a taxi journey...The other food we had at the hotel was reasonable if expensive. We loved the soups at the restaurant by the pool.
It was frustrating not being able to swim or use the gym (as a woman) but this is more a Riyadh issue than a hotel decision. Having said that I would think it would be possible for the gym (which apparently has an indoor pool) to set aside some women's hours. We were told by the concierge I could have a bike and weights sent to our room but the gym refused.
The staff were extremely friendly and tolerant of two small children roaming about. On one of the few occasions I took the children out alone the bell boy was very keen to ensure we had a safe taxi.Our room was very spacious - although this may have been because of the upgrade.
In general however, Riyadh is a difficult city especially when it is hot. There is little to do apart from go to the shopping centres which close in the middle of the day as well as during all of the prayer sessions.Taxis are an issue as many do not have seat belts in the back. The driving was variable although not nearly as bad as we have experienced in Nepal and some Asian countries. It was too hot and too far to walk anywhere.It is important to check carefully the opening hours of everything - and that it is a family or whatever type of day you require. Even then various places (in our case the National museum) close without notice. In general I would advise avoiding Riyadh but if you have to go I would definitely recommend the Intercontinental.

Room Tip: Upgrade to the executive club
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Tariq D, General Manager at InterContinental Riyadh, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2013

Dear Guest AustFamily,

Thank you for your review during your recent stay at InterContinental Riyadh.

It gives me pleasure to read your kind review about the unique experience you had in the kingdom of Saudi Arabia especially the city of Riyadh. I must thank you that somehow your initial perception of the kind of life in the kingdom has significantly changed with this recent travel.

I am also very grateful that after this stay, you have recommended our hotel as a nice place to stay when in Riyadh.

We look forward to welcoming you and your family again in the near future.

Reviewed September 24, 2013

If you want stay one of the huge or big hotels in the world it could be Intercontinental Riyadh, has a gold course on the same compound, huge restaurants, big cafes and swimming pools and it gives or adds much comfort in one of the restricted countries in the world!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Dear Mr. Rao,

Thank you for your review during your recent stay at InterContinental Riyadh.

I am very happy to note that you had a comfortable stay and that all the facilities were to your full satisfaction.

We look forward to have the pleasure of serving you again.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

I was on Intercontinental only due to the fact that company policy doesnt allow anything lower than that. I wasnt too pleased (loyalty program lies with Novotel). Having said that I have been pretty well taken care of here. The staff is extremely courteous, they make the effort to learn your name and pretty much cater to your every whim and fancy. (I once called up room service at 4 am to ask for a match box, took them 4 min to get one to my room). The food is decent, specially the breakfast. Never missed it a single day!! The rooms are neat n tidy though i personally feel too large for a regular single person to stay.
ON the down side, the hotel is very old, so the air conditioning isnt up to the best standards. Not to say that it is hot, but the a/c works on its own whims and fancies. Plus the ac makes a racket at times.
The hotel is perfect for business trips and a the facilities ensure that you dont get bored (cause trust me that happens a lot). Gym, swimming pools, tennis courts, golf, bowling etc keep you occupied.
Its still too expensive but if money isnt the issue I'd definitely recommend the hotel

Room Tip: for those who smoke, make sure you mention that at the time of check in.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Tariq D, General Manager at InterContinental Riyadh, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2013

Dear Mr. Prateek 1385,

Thank you for your review of the InterContinental Riyadh during your recent stay with us. I am very much elated by your observations and takes pride in all of my staff who have taken cared of you during your stay. Please be assured that we will continue our excellent services as we look forward to have you again the nearest future.

Indeed, the rooms need refurbishment but this will be the next phase of renovation after the lobby, conference rooms and the main entrance.

Sincerely yours.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

This is an awesome hotel. The staff seem a bit disconnected and not very friendly. But overall the hotel has a great indoor and out door pool, beautiful landscaping, a bowling ally if you have a group friends joining you. The food is ok to include the breakfast. Their location is not great and you won't be able to walk to a restaurant or mall.

Room Tip: I know they are always renovating, but make sure you get a room in the new wing and NON smoking.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Dear Mr. KMubarak,

Thank you for your very constructive review during your recent stay at InterContinental Riyadh.

I really appreciate your observations on the physical facilities of the hotel, though I am concerned about the indifference of some staff, which you indicated. I have communicated with all my Head of Departments to re-enforce our friendly attitude towards guests and ensure that services should always be extended with a smile.

We look forward to have the pleasure of welcoming you again.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

I traveled to Riyadh City, Saudi Arabia for a business trip, where we managed a business meeting in the Hotel. Actually Hotel was perfect and service i believe it worth 5 Stars Hotel. I had a situation with the Receptionist during checking in, where there was no ready room yet for me to stay in however i had a confirmed paid reservation on the same day. A gentleman from the hotel management came to me and offered me a free of charge room upgrade to Club Room to stay in in order to solve this matter. It was really appreciated.

I strongly recommend this hotel for business travelers.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Tariq D, General Manager at InterContinental Riyadh, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2013

Dear Mr. Hassan,

Thank you for your review during your recent stay at InterContinental Riyadh.

It gives me pleasure to read your kind review about how our staff made you feel important during your arrival at the hotel. I have cascaded your full review to the Front Office Department so as to share with them your nice comment.

We look forward to welcoming you again in the nearest future.