“Intercontinental Riyadh”

InterContinental Riyadh
Ranked #36 of 228 Hotels in Riyadh
Reviewed July 31, 2012

A very peacfull and well secured as ut's facing the ministry of Interior with so many check points, i joined the health club (The Palms) and it's great GYM, never crowded always very clean, people are friendly, polite, the selection of TV channels is vast and nice and there is also a free Wifi.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Tariq D, General Manager at InterContinental Riyadh, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2013

Dear Mr. Amr,

Thank you for your review of the InterContinental Riyadh during your last stay with us.

It gives me pride as the Leader of the InterContinental Riyadh to receive such an excellent review from our valued guest. I have cascaded your comments to all my staff and they are now more empowered to always aim higher in their pursuit of excellence and personalized service.

Sincerely yours,

Reviewed July 18, 2012

I use Intercontinental by choice, and on my first visit to Riyadh used this hotel, which is about an hour from the airport, situated in the Downtown district. The hotel complex is one of the oldest in Riyadh and is on a large site which even has its own 9 hole par 3 golf course, tennis courts and bowling alley. The first room (322) I was allocated was too noisy, thanks to the large bank of air conditioners outside, but the next room on the bottom floor (012) was extremely quiet and I found it suited my needs perfectly. Large and spacious, with a separate lounge area with workstation (although I couldn't get the free wifi to work when I was in the room). Comfortable and spacious bed, and a reasonable bathroom (only criticism is the quality and finsh of the tiling, which was poor). Shower was in the bath rather than a separate shower unit (I prefer a separate shower). Good quality coffee maker in the room, and a nice touch with a free bowl of fruit. Staff were first class, and my request to change rooms was dealt with quickly and efficiently. I used two restaurants while there, one for dinner (Mondo's), which was fantastic (both service and food quality - go for the three ways steak) and one for breakfast (Pavillion), which was of the usual high standard. Checkout was again fast and efficient. Overall - highly recommended if you want to combine business and leisure.

Room Tip: Go for the lower ground floor.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Tariq D, General Manager at InterContinental Riyadh, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2013

Dear Guest Awsculli,

Thank you for your earlier review of the InterContinental Riyadh.

We really appreciate your excellent review specifically on the rooms, the helpfulness of our staff and your nice impression about the quality of food we serve both at the Mondo and Al Bustan (formerly Pavillion) Restaurants.

We have taken notes on other issues where improvements are required. I am pleased to inform you that we have already upgraded our WIFI services and I am sure you will have a better connection on your next visit.

Reviewed July 18, 2012

I have stayed many times in Intercontinental Riyadh during business trips. It's a decent 5 star hotel in a safe location. Very close to Ministry of Interior. Easy to reach. But a bit far away from city's shopping area.

The rooms are clean. Maybe the carpet become a little old and needs a renovation. Rooms are large and quite. Bed is very comfortable.

I would recommend this hotel for business travelers but not for holiday makers.

Room Tip: Avoid the underground floor rooms.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business

Dear Mr. Siddiqui,

Thank you for your earlier review of the InterContinental Riyadh.

We are truly grateful to your positive comments. Indeed this property has been reviewed by most guests that we are the most secured and safest hotel in Riyadh.

We have also taken notes on other issues where improvements are required. I can assure you that these have been addressed as we now plan for the next phase of renovation which will focus on the rooms and suites of the hotel's main building.

Reviewed July 11, 2012

I have been different times in the Intercontinental and always appreciated the kindness and professionalism of the employees at all levels.
Rooms are spacious and clean enough, a little bit old styled but comfortable. They are generously provided with coffee and tea and also our excellent italian coffee, that was a very good surprise for me.
Recent refurbishment made the hall and the reception much more comfortable and in line with the overall tone of the hotel. Prices are quite high, but I would suggest it for the facilities, including a 9-hole golf course, that will sure make your stay in Riyadh more enjoyable.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business

Dear Guest GW1965,

Thank you for your earlier review of the InterContinental Riyadh.

It pleases me to read your ecellent comment as you describe in a positive way the status of our rooms, the kindness and professionalism of our staff and your impression about the new renovated lobby and reception.

I wish to assure you that we will continue to implement the InterContinental promise of making your stays very memorable one.

Reviewed June 24, 2012

Stayed for 2 nights and the refurbishment is almost done. I stayed in a 2nd floor room and I believe this is adjacent to other rooms on both sides. The problem is the adjacent doors have holes where if you peek you can see the other room. Other issue is the security since there are a lot of sports and recreation facilities in the hotel.

One of the good things in this hotel though is the service of the staff. It is really excellent.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank PhilKay92

Dear Guest PhilKay92,

Thank you for your earlier review of the InterContinental Riyadh.

I have taken notes of your comments and please be assured that I had instructed concerned departments to do some corrective measures.

Meanwhile, I am happy to inform you that the renovation of our hotel has been completed and it will be my pleasure to show the new lobby and reception, new restaurants and new conference center at the ground floor on your next visit. We are now on the planning stage for the 2nd phase of renovation which will focus on the rooms and suites of the main building.

Reviewed June 10, 2012

The hotel is undergoing a major refurbishment, that is apparently delayed because the land is owned by the Ministry of the Interior (opposition) .... it's been going on for more than two years ... GMs have been relieved of duty. The rest you can go figure!

My room appeared to have been recently refurbed. It was good - except - the AC appeared to be faultly, it completely dried out my nasal passage. I moved hotel and the problem dissappeared. The AC seemed to draw in various smells (smoking?).

Due to the refurb, the Club lounge is a very small part of the main restaruant. Not good.

Overall, you can get much better in Riyadh for the money (Rosewood). Or, stay at the Sheraton for much less. Personally, I would not stay at this hotel again.

Only good point. The view of the Ministry of the Interior building at night from the top floor restaruant. It's like a UFO - surreal! (search for images on Google).

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Speedy_Monkey
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Riyadh, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2012

Dear Speedy_Monkey,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. We are delighted that you like the view from the top floor restaurant of our hotel. I am sorry for the experience you had due to the Air Conditioning Unit in your room and for the Club Lounge that fell below your expectations. Your comments are very helpful as this is our best resource for improving our facilities and services. We'd like to obtain some additional details regarding your stay so we have sent you a private message. Thank you for staying with us, and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed May 30, 2012

The hotel seems like a fortress. I am usually not a scared traveler, but when passing the huge walls around the hotel you begin to wonder. The building itself is a maze, I got lost once trying to find thee reception on the first day, but not to worry about.

Rooms:
They have their patina, but are decent and have sufficient (but loud) airconditioning.

Turnoff:
Saudi Arabia is not particular a fun place, speaking of the abundant strict rules. The hotel facilities are basically all to rely on. This was a bummer. Aparently the hotel was running some sort of school summer camp, so every day the pool was full (30+) children from some schools who made it absolutely impossible to relax or actually swim. The teachers didnt seem to care to much and neither did hotel staff.
What to do about it? Choose a hotel without pool and then dont be disappointed you can't use it ;)

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Sprudu
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Riyadh, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2012

Dear Sprudeldudel,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns regarding your stay with us. I'm truly delighted you liked your room accommodation. We work diligently to ensure our facilities are well maintained and we try our hardest to provide not just good value, but comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. I’m very disappointed to hear about your experience on your recent stay and regret that the unusual situation of the usage of the swimming pool impacted your stay negatively. Though I would prefer you had a better experience at our hotel, I would like to thank you for sharing your feedback as this is our best resource for improving the quality and services we offer to our guests. I hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Regards,